Lance Corporal Description
Create Post
    Credits
    Savings

Lance Corporal Description

Lance Corporal (LCpl) is the third lowest enlisted rank in the U.S. Marine Corps, just above Private First Class and below Corporal. It is not a non-commissioned officer rank. The Marines are the only component of the U.S. Armed Forces to have Lance Corporals.

From the earliest years of the Corps, the ranks of lance corporal and lance sergeant were in common usage. Marines were appointed temporarily from the next lower rank to the higher grade but were still paid at the lower rank. As the rank structure became more firmly defined, the rank of lance sergeant fell out of use. Lance corporals served in the Corps into the 1930s but this unofficial rank became redundant when the rank of private first class was established in 1917. The lance corporal fell out of usage prior to World War II, to be permanently established in the sweeping rank restructuring of 1958.

Unlike other branches of the U.S. military that remove modifiers in a less formal environment, a Lance Corporal is not referred to as a Lance, but as a Lance Corporal, never as Corporal. Because of them not being of NCO status, only ranks same or above call a Lance Corporal by last name. Four common Marine nicknames for a Lance Corporal are "Lance Coolie", "Lance Coconut", "Lance Colonel", or "Lance Criminal." It can also stand for the acronym "Last Chance to Play Lost"(L Cpl.) or also "Last Cleaning Person Left" indicating the expected mistakes a Lance Corporal would make in the hopes of becoming a Corporal.

Most of us have been one of these, and we loved the fact that everything was someone else's fault. It was privates and PFC's that had to police the butts and it was Sgt.'s that had to make 'em do it.

Never heard Lance Coconut before, buts thats funny, going to use next time. HAHA!

I remember as a LCpl. hiding in the open, just carry a clip board around the shop as an HE Operator.

Great Thread Al

Lance Criminals Up!!!!

Ya know I get it alot from new Marines from here at home from Boot. They ask what being a Lance Corporal in the fleet is like. To be honest you have to be one to know, and if your a salty lifer Lance like myself then you really know. I pride myself on being a Lance Corporal Of Marines Lifer, nothing wrong with it one f'ing bit!!!

just wait 'til you join a unit thats NCO-heavy...

we get thrown into the working parties like all the Pvts and PFCs

That's right, know your role!

I remember being a LCpl quite well. Low enough in rank to still have to do the BS and high enough in rank to be blamed for anything that goes wrong.

Ahhh... what a rank rank!

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Dudes, I love/d being a Lance Criminal. Friggin greatest rank ever! Not evough stripes to stand DNCO, but once I'd been around long enough, I could talk sh*t with the best of em...never called anyone E-5 or below by their rank, and was generally well-liked, but had no serious responsibilities. Plus, I had my TL looking out for me for a while, so I had a cover above, and no problems below. Sweet times!

Errr!

Thread Information