Getting discharged from the DEP?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Getting discharged from the DEP?

Hello Marines,

I swore in to the DEP about 6 months ago and i leave for boot camp in 1 month. But i did that when i graduated high school and didnt know what direction i wanted to go with my life. I wanted to be a Marine and i wanted to do something i can be proud in. But i realized their are other options and after a long process of thinking, I made the decision i would rather pursue a career in the medical field and i would like to go to college though i may regret it later on i feel like getting a degree and staying with my friends and family would make me happier then being on active duty. (If your curious i was going to do 02XX)

My initial question is, can i get out of the (DEP)? and if i can how?

P.S- I read these boards when i was making my decision and it was VERY helpful, thanks for guiding me and giving me great advice that no one else could, Truly thanks for taking the time for helping us wannabe's when you could be doing other things.

You can walk away from Dep up until you do the final swear in.Nothing will happen to you but you may not be able to enlist at a later date with out a waiver.But if you really want out just tell your recruiter that you aren't going.He may try to get you to stay but it is your choice and not his.

Plenty of people who want in, Im sure the Recruiter will not have a hard time finding someone who will take your spot. Only you knows whats right for your future, remember that.

Yes you can get out up until the day you ship. Just let your recruiter know your plans. He may not be too happy with it though, seeing as how you totally wasted his time, but its not a big deal. Do what you want with your life.

Well, sounds to me like 'last minute jitters'. Still, you can in fact drop from DEP.

But if/when you do, don't come back here in six months trying to figure out a way to get 'back in'. Because you'll get very little sympathy and lots of abuse, well deserved I might add.

Do what you want, of course, but you'd better really look at this decision, because I guarantee you, you are going to regret it.

I think your request has to be in writing. And then you'd need a waiver if you ever decided you wanted to actually try to even start the process again.

And you'll be asking yourself the question over and over and over and over again. If you can deal with it then go do what you have to do to be happy.

There will be no sympathy waiting for you here. Just go make something of yourself if you decide not to take the plunge.

Why Dont You Still Join The Service.join The Navy And Become A Corpman. I Joined The Navy Became A Corpman And You Still Can Be With The Marines> Served 5yrs With The Marines The Best 5 Yrs Of My Life And Now I Am A Nurse No Regrets. So Think Hard And Dont Do Anything Foolish That You Will Regret Later.dont Forget About The Gi Bill That Can Help You With Your Schooling. Anyhow Goodluck With What Ever You Do. Think About The Gi Bill Anyway.

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Thread Information