What does that photograph by Joe Rosenthal really Mean? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MOS1310 View Post
    Most interesting.....looking forward to reading your book Bob. I hope you continue to post here, share your thoughts and ideas.

BTW , where is Monroe GA? I have a squadron mate who lives in Kennasaw. Whenever my wife and I would drive down to Amelia Island, FL we'd detour and visit a spell
    Kennesaw is north of Atlanta, and Monroe is east off Hwy 78, toward Athens (University of Georgia.)

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I was just an EA-6 driver, not a military strategist but I've often wondered why the Navy/Marines didn't pull a feint invasion from the the north of Iwo?
    Would it have pulled a percentage of Japs (I know not a PC word) away from the true landing beaches? Who knows, just a thought

I also thought the same thing about Betio. It was an atoll and they landed Marines in what was then considered jungle camo. My Uncle was responsible for taking the pier, he did so but at a great loss of life to his men and a debilitating wound to himself

I was just an EA-6 driver, not a military strategist but I've often wondered why the Navy/Marines didn't pull a feint invasion from the the north of Iwo?
    Would it have pulled a percentage of Japs (I know not a PC word) away from the true landing beaches? Who knows, just a thought

I also thought the same thing about Betio. It was an atoll and they landed Marines in what was then considered jungle camo. My Uncle was responsible for taking the pier, he did so but at a great loss of life to his men and a debilitating wound to himself
    I am not a strategist either, but I know that the northern shore was not useable for landing purposes. Our alternate beaches were the western beaches. A fient attack against the western beaches would not have caused the Japanese to shift any of their troops.

Besides, I think you are probably aware that "Howling Mad" wanted ten days of preliminary bombardment, not the three they actually received. With Okinawa on the schedule for the first of April, the Navy's resources were taxed. Many of the ships used in the Iwo invasion were needed for the Okinawa invasion. Also, the Navy planned to attack the home islands during the battle for Iwo Jima. I guess you can say this attack against the home islands was their diversion. It possibily prevented the Japanese from sending additional forces to the aid of Iwo Jima.

Considering Iwo Jima was better defended than any could imagine, the battle can be considered an American success.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc987332 View Post
    Considering Iwo Jima was better defended than any could imagine, the battle can be considered an American success.
    Absolutely and without doubt!! Fair winds and followings seas Bob. I hope to see further posts from you here on LN

Take care of yourself

Cmdr. Dan

Bob, I think my father said he was a Col and he had a few choice words about him.LOL

Fascinating thread!

Mr. Allen, I'm curious as to your take on Clint Eastwood's film Letters from Iwo Jima. It was sort of a part two to his other film based on Bradley's book, Flags of our Fathers.

Quote Originally Posted by R Landry View Post
    Fascinating thread!

Mr. Allen, I'm curious as to your take on Clint Eastwood's film Letters from Iwo Jima. It was sort of a part two to his other film based on Bradley's book, Flags of our Fathers.
    Without avoiding your question, let me go back to "Flags of Our Fathers" first. I talked with James Bradley a number times before his book came out. I knew his thinking and knew where he was headed. He accomplished what he set out to accomplish. I thoroughly appreciated both his book and the movie. I can only praise him. Also, Clint Eastwood did his job well.

As for "Letters," I don't question his motive, but I think his end results were misleading. If you stop to think, Kuribayashi did not defend Suribachi with his best troops. So many of the men at were conscripted men. They were not the hard core men who did the best fighting on the island. I am sure many of the men on Suribachi were not men who believed to fighting to the death. Most of Kuribayashi's men certainly intended to fight to the death. In short, the average Japanese soldier was nothing like the average American.

Credits
    Savings
    Without avoiding your question, let me go back to "Flags of Our Fathers" first. I talked with James Bradley a number times before his book came out. I knew his thinking and knew where he was headed. He accomplished what he set out to accomplish. I thoroughly appreciated both his book and the movie. I can only praise him. Also, Clint Eastwood did his job well.

As for "Letters," I don't question his motive, but I think his end results were misleading. If you stop to think, Kuribayashi did not defend Suribachi with his best troops. So many of the men at were conscripted men. They were not the hard core men who did the best fighting on the island. I am sure many of the men on Suribachi were not men who believed to fighting to the death. Most of Kuribayashi's men certainly intended to fight to the death. In short, the average Japanese soldier was nothing like the average American.

Bob

This is great to have you here sir. I've been reading part of your book on Google books and I hope you saw the post by Sgt Lep re. your "trolling" for sales. Never entered my mind.

Want to ask, as retired Squid, what was your over all take of how well/poorly the Navy performed their duty at Iwo? We all know the Navy was AWOL at the Canal and in other areas. Sometimes the ring knockers make the worst leaders

Bob

This is great to have you here sir. I've been reading part of your book on Google books and I hope you saw the post by Sgt Lep re. your "trolling" for sales. Never entered my mind.

Want to ask, as retired Squid, what was your over all take of how well/poorly the Navy performed their duty at Iwo? We all know the Navy was AWOL at the Canal and in other areas. Sometimes the ring knockers make the worst leaders
    We had a well greased team, including the Army.

Dear Bob,

Thank you for your answer. Have you ever been back to Iwo? One day, I want to do one of those military tours to the Pacific theater. Like the tour below:

http://www.miltours.com/all-mht-tours/49/152

Quote Originally Posted by R Landry View Post
    Dear Bob,

Thank you for your answer. Have you ever been back to Iwo? One day, I want to do one of those military tours to the Pacific theater. Like the tour below:

http://www.miltours.com/all-mht-tours/49/152
    No, I was once offered a free trip on one of the earliest tours, but I declined. I would have loved to have gone back to Hiawii and Japan, but Kate, my wife, would not fly or go by water. I would not have enjoyed going without her.

We had a well greased team, including the Army.
    Earlier I gave you a very short reply about the navy and their support. Remember, there were seven Marine Regiments ashore. What I say hereafter, applys to only regiment, so if you multiple it by seven you can get the gist of their support. Even during the very latest days of the campaign we had at least one ship at night furnishing us with lighting. We had as many four ships at our disposal. At one time this support included a heavy cruiser. When we jumped off, we had aircraft supplying close support. Navy during the early days and the Army Air Force in the later days. Despite what most people think, the battle was not just a Marine operation. We just happen to be the the ones that took the island. (Couldn't resist that.) However, the simple truth is that we could not have done it alone.

It looks as if it is about time to close this thread. First, I would like to tell the thought behind this thread.

It really does not make any difference the circumsantces behind the photograph. The photograph seemed to declare what the photograph was all about. When and where makes little difference, it is what the photograph protrayed. Six men pulling together for a common cause, AMERICA

Read; "Flags of our Fathers"

The answer to your question is; Joe Rosenthal had no idea he had an historic photo when he forwarded his film thru channels. Somebody way back in the rear (things took a lot longer going thru channels then) liked the picture and published it. The PUBLIC loved it, that made it historic.

Read the book "Flags of our Father" by John Bradley Jr. ( He is the son of Phm2 John Bradley one of the flag raisers.) Its a good book and tells the whole story.

I had heard the story as a kid, from my father and God father, both were Corpsmen on Iwo.They served together on Saipan, Tinian, and Iwo Jima. They both new John Bradley. I buried my father in May he was my hero, they were all my heros, and the reason I became a Corpsman (1st Mar Div, Vietnam 1968)

Anyone who has any questions about the Flag Raising on Iwo Jima (1st and 2nd) should read this book!

Doc Tobin

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Tobin View Post
    The answer to your question is; Joe Rosenthal had no idea he had an historic photo when he forwarded his film thru channels. Somebody way back in the rear (things took a lot longer going thru channels then) liked the picture and published it. The PUBLIC loved it, that made it historic.

Read the book "Flags of our Father" by John Bradley Jr. ( He is the son of Phm2 John Bradley one of the flag raisers.) Its a good book and tells the whole story.

I had heard the story as a kid, from my father and God father, both were Corpsmen on Iwo.They served together on Saipan, Tinian, and Iwo Jima. They both new John Bradley. I buried my father in May he was my hero, they were all my heros, and the reason I became a Corpsman (1st Mar Div, Vietnam 1968)

Anyone who has any questions about the Flag Raising on Iwo Jima (1st and 2nd) should read this book!

Doc Tobin
    Thats James Bradley the author Sorry...blame it on "operator's head space"

Doc Tobin

Thread Information