Offended by "Devil Dog"??? - Page 7
Create Post
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by marine1955 View Post
    Thats exactly what I was trying to imply, But some here with there so called higher Education about the Corps evidently didn't read or weren't shown the History of the Marine Corps. Now they seem to relate Devil Dog as an Ass chewing which is wrong way wrong. Go to the library on or off your base and look up the history and then see what it means to be a Devil Dog.
    Being a Devil Dog is one of the Highest Honors a Marine can Have bestowed on him or her.
    ^This is not anything new^
    We got that education in boot camp. You can be assured there was nothing lost in translation.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    Are we directing our ire towards those junior Marines who are mainly called Devil Dog prior to an azz-chewing or to those leadership types who decided to twist the title into a pejorative?

Although the reasoning has been explained at least a half dozen times in the previous posts, confusion remains or some simply refuse to read and accept the idea that most often in today's Corps the term "Devildog" is not used and held in the same high regard as it's historical relevance would imply or require.

Jesus Christ, the retardation in here is burning my eyes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Backhaus 1103 View Post
    It's the mustard gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Backhaus 1103 View Post
    Its even worse when an NCO points their finger at you and says "Come Hither".

That's why you act like you don't see him and slowly walk away. If you get caught, "I'm sorry all the combat has made me hard of hearing" lol
    Or if you don't know him...RUN!

At PI we preferred that we didn't get the crap kicked out of us. The DI's disagreed - guess who won. Before discipline maybe they'd prefer to be called lady, maggot, whale ****, etc. like we were.

To get ****ed off beyond reason is not reasonable. Who runs the corps nowadays, staff NCO's or lances?

Quote Originally Posted by jamielang1951 View Post
    Devil Dog

From Wikipedia encyclopedia

The term "Devil Dog" is a very common nickname for all Marines. "Devil Dog" is historically a well accepted term of endearment. Professional Military Education had stated "Devil Dog" is a title of honor, and should be regarded as such. "Devil Dog" should be called out when praising ones actions when they are in keeping with the high standards of the Corps. The "dog" in the phrase is usually depicted as a bulldog in line with the original 1918 poster. The bull dog is the official mascot of the Corps. A line of bulldogs had served as the unofficial mascot of the Corps since the 1920s, most named after Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell "Chesty Puller".

In contrast the term has also taken on a negative conotation due to its usage when correcting Marines. The term "Devil Dogged" has come to mean lectured, usually for being out of acceptable Marine Corps regulations. .[4]

Senior Marines will often call out other Marines who are out of regulation. For example 1st Sgt. Jones notices that an unknown Lance Corporal has a dirty uniform at the PX. 1st Sgt Jones may yell across the room "Hey there, Devil Dog!" Once the LCpl realizes he is being addressed, he would reply "Yes, First Sergeant" The 1st Sgt would order, "Go to your barracks, and square way that filthy blouse!" After returning to the barraks the LCpl's roommate may ask him how his trip to the PX was, the LCpl would respond "Aside from getting 'Devil Dogged', it was okay."

Jesus H Christ!!!!!!

It's being "Devil Dogged", by a Devil Dog they don't like! Not the term "Devil Dog", ie. getting an ass chewing by a senior Marine.

Read the previous post instead of just jumping into the discussion without knowing what's being discussed guys.

Angry I hope they are joking!

Marine Corps history backwards and forwards.
    Reading some of the answered scared me. I am well aware that education in general has suffered, and history is a major loser. Teachers who don't like what happened, either change history, or overlook it.
    But the Marine Corps is not a public school. It is an honored military institution which has literally allowed this Nation to still exist. So who dropped the ball? Not knowing the complete meaning of the term "Devil Dogs" is the tip of the iceberg. What else don't they know?
    I am extremely fortunate. I attended a private Catholic high school, which had MANDATORY MARINE R.O.T.C. My father was in the Corps during WWII, 6th MarDiv, and survived Okinawa as a B.A.R. man. I was in 1/5 enjoying international travel to Vietnam in '71 to '72.
    I love history, and I love to read books on American History.
    Prehaps I was the only lucky Marine boot to have my D.I. force everyone to know every detail from November 10, 1775, to the present. I seriously doubt that.
    So my question is: "What the Hell happened with the aforementioned "Marines" who were, and still are clueless as to the term "Devil Dogs"? I think it is safe to presume they have no idea what the actual German word was for these WWI Marines. Allow me to further educate these baby Marines. Many USMC posters incorrectly translate the German term as"Teuelhunden". The correct translation is "Teufelshunde" .

Kids! If you do not know the rich history of the Marine Corps, you are deprieving yourselves of the chance to know trully the greatest combat unit to ever exist.

Wow. Seven pages in this thread and most of the responses completely ignore the reason why the term "Devil Dog" is viewed as a pejorative these days.

Here it is (once again) in plain English. Marines know where the term Devil Dog came from and don't take issue with its history. They take issue with the manner in which it's most commonly used today. Is anyone reading the responses here or are most of these posts simply a reaction to the thread title??

Quote Originally Posted by YutYut View Post
    Wow. Seven pages in this thread and most of the responses completely ignore the reason why the term "Devil Dog" is viewed as a pejorative these days.

Here it is (once again) in plain English. Marines know where the term Devil Dog came from and don't take issue with its history. They take issue with the manner in which it's most commonly used today. Is anyone reading the responses here or are most of these posts simply a reaction to the thread title??
    I'm tired of this crap. YOU NEVER SHOULD HAVE MADE IT OUT OF BOOT WITHOUT KNOWING OUR HISTORY SH1TBIRD!!!!!!

How did you arrive at that interpetation. I was responding to the original post. I understand what you mean; however, I did not get that from the original post.
    Please explain...I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by eboydell View Post
    How did you arrive at that interpetation. I was responding to the original post. I understand what you mean; however, I did not get that from the original post.
    Please explain...I could be wrong.
    The explanation as to why Marines get offended when they're called Devil Dog was explained a few times throughout this thread. Despite this, the history of the term has been posted several times, completely ignoring the fact that present day Marines aren't offended by the term per se, but rather how it's used today.

If you're solely going from the first post then you wouldn't have seen the actual reasons the term "devil dog" can be considered disparaging.

I understand if its just the beginning of an asschewing, even though I feel its more of identification than something disrespectful.

But the reason I started the thread was because a SNCO said to a coolie "Hey, whats going on Devil Dog?"...the coolie replied "WHOA SSgt, why you DD'ing me???"

That sounded to me like he is offended by the word "Devil Dog" no matter how its being used.

But I get where yall are all coming from and thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
    I understand if its just the beginning of an asschewing, even though I feel its more of identification than something disrespectful.

But the reason I started the thread was because a SNCO said to a coolie "Hey, whats going on Devil Dog?"...the coolie replied "WHOA SSgt, why you DD'ing me???"

That sounded to me like he is offended by the word "Devil Dog" no matter how its being used.

But I get where yall are all coming from and thank you for your input.
    Done and done.

Thread Information