50 cal. ammo
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 cal. ammo

50 cal. ammo

I was in Beirut Lebanon in 1982 and was a door gunner in a CH-46. I don't remember what the ammo mix (ball,tracer, armor piercing, etc)was. I have the empty shells and links that I fired while there and want to put projectiles in them and place them in my NCO sword display case. Can anybody tell me what the mix would have been?

Welcome aboard Don.

I'm sure you'll get some answers, but I thought you might want to try sending a PM to Sgt Leprechaun

He's quite up on military history and may actually have some technical info like that or might be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck and Semper Fi

As far as I know, you normally shoot a tracer 1 out of every 5 rounds from a M2. If you're going to just reload the empty shells with projectiles, you should just load ball and paint the tips white white white white red.

Last edited by Sergeant M; 09-25-10 at 05:28 AM. Reason: drunk

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yep, every 5th, but it would look good all copper too. I did that years ago. Comes out fine.
    Don't recall all that white red stuff. must be new.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I only fired a 50 twice while in Nam, dont remember if it was the same as an M-60 which was every 5th round was red for tracer, all the other rounds wernt painted, just copper.

Back in the 60's we had maybe one or two boxes come in that had paint on them but most of our 50 and 60 ammo was all copper, with every fifth one being a tracer. Did get a box of Armor piece stuff once but it had a silver tip every round.

A lot of pilots during WW2 and Korea would use nothing but FMJ with no tracer rounds because if they were shooting at a plain from behind there were no tracers to give them away.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ammo packaged for ground machine guns is normally 1-tracer, 4-ball. However, I guess .50 cal can come different ways now, adding AP/Incendiary to the mix.

I know that 7.62mm/20mm/25mm/30mm packaged for mini-guns/Vulcans comes 1-in-10 tracer to whatever (ball, HE, API, etc). Keeps the heat generated a bit lower that way, plus the tracer stream is still more than visible at that ratio.

My Air Guard unit would order 7.62mm packaged for mini-guns (1,500 rounds per can) when we went to the MG range. I understood that it was a tad cheaper on the ammo budget as there were less of the more expensive tracers and no special 100-round packs/bandoleers.

These days the only 50 cal ammo they give us is AP/APT and SLAP/SLAPT round. SLAP rounds are like AP on steroids.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Backhaus 1103 View Post
    These days the only 50 cal ammo they give us is AP/APT and SLAP/SLAPT round. SLAP rounds are like AP on steroids.

I've seen those SLAP rounds on TV. I like (outgoing only, please).

I know we had a combination of ball, tracer and AP. I was thinking it was 3 ball, 1 AP and i AP/tracer. I wasn't planning to get the actual rounds. Just was going to paint the tips.

If you are looking for 50's to put in a display you can try some of the reloading suppliers they now sell the 50 case and the round. When you get them just push the round in the case and you have a dumby round.

You can get .50's at (oldsargesdropzone.com) they sell the complete dumby round sigles or in clips up to 24" long. They are all painted up and ready to display. If you just want the bullets you can get them at just about all the reloading suppliers. Old Sarge's sell they for $2.00 a pop.

I really appreciate all the input! I have already purchased the projectiles from a website called rvow.com. I got 5 linked dummy rounds for $7.50. I already polished up the shells and links and covered the shells in gloss laquer so they stay shiny. Even without the projectiles, they look really nice in my display case. I'll have to get one of my kids to show me how to download photos so you can check it out.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Googled some pics,,,,nice.

Thread Information