Quick question - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Quick question

You originally posted that he just had angina. I wasnt trying to be a smartass so Im sorry if you took it that way. If he is that ill then he shoudl have the Docs get him medically discharged due to his illness. If he is discharged for a medical illness he could be eligible for compensation if the illness originated or was aggravated while in the Marine Corps.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    He can't run because of his chest pain. To alleviate the pain he pop nitro pills. He can't carry pills with him if he were to run with everyone.
    I have angina and take nitro.....

I take one....then one more and if that doesn't make the pain subside I go to the nearest medical facility.

Just out of curiosity how is his blood pressure....

Some medication will make a body retain fluids...is the weight water or fat?

Also calcium without plenty of fluids and exercise can cause weight gain.

Don't know the orders anymore....but with his conditions the medical officer should be putting in for a PEB Physical Evaluation Board instead of limited duty.

Be careful with the nitro also...if he farts to loud he could blow up!

Good luck!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmchic00 View Post
    really? look it up. He was also diagnosed with Syndrome X.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolic_syndrome

Man.. for a bunch of Marines.. about Brotherhood, you guys offer little of it.

Thanks though.

I'm quite aware of what Prinzmetal's Angina is. I also know that it is normally exercise tolerant with the vast majority of episodes occurring at rest. If he is having chest pains while running, the etiology of his chest pains needs to be re-visited to verify the diagnosis. Did your son have a provocative ECG test conducted on him?

I am also aware that when doctors are trying to track a source of chest pain of unknown origin, they often suggest reduced physical fitness activity. THAT can result in weight gain.

Syndrome X, as a metabolic disorder, can also cause weight gain. It usually requires a planned diet. Reasonable levels of exercise is normally prescribed too.

Your son seems to be on the right meds for PA. Nitro is taken on an as needed basis. The calcium blocker is usually once daily (maybe more, depending). I take a calcium blocker once per day.

With all of these medical problems, I would suspect that your son will soon be on a fast track to being medically discharged. I'm not being nasty about this, just honest.

Your son needs to go back to his doctor and discuss what is going on with him at his unit. A medical officer's opinion wields a lot of power in the military. If his unit refuses to follow the MO's instructions, then your son needs to formally request mast to his Commanding General. That should shake some trees.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Chris were dealing with husband....not son

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sorry, I keep calling your Marine, your son. Too used to writing to parents about this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    I have angina and take nitro.....

I take one....then one more and if that doesn't make the pain subside I go to the nearest medical facility.

With all the Respect in the World, the closest in the Naval Hospital on base and until recently, I wouldn't let my dog go to them. He did go a few times and they just sent him home with Nitro, of course.

Just out of curiosity how is his blood pressure....

High. Averages 140ish/90ish

Some medication will make a body retain fluids...is the weight water or fat?

Water.

Also calcium without plenty of fluids and exercise can cause weight gain.

Don't know the orders anymore....but with his conditions the medical officer should be putting in for a PEB Physical Evaluation Board instead of limited duty.

I completely agree, however, when the doc at the ER told him what he had, my husband went to the MO and told him. The MO said "there's no way to test for that. I am going to call your PCM at the hospital and recommend you be put on full duty"..this is the same MO who didn't evaluate him at all when assigned to BCP. And the same MO who said "it's all in your head."

Be careful with the nitro also...if he farts to loud he could blow up!
    He's got a bed on the couch for those nights. Can't be too safe. hahaha.

Good luck!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    I'm quite aware of what Prinzmetal's Angina is. I also know that it is normally exercise tolerant with the vast majority of episodes occurring at rest. If he is having chest pains while running, the etiology of his chest pains needs to be re-visited to verify the diagnosis. Did your son have a provocative ECG test conducted on him?

Yes. he has had many. He even wore a monitor for a month. Nothing ever came back.

I am also aware that when doctors are trying to track a source of chest pain of unknown origin, they often suggest reduced physical fitness activity. THAT can result in weight gain.

This I can agree on 100 percent BUT there was a short period (4 months) his PCM put him back on Full duty, he PT'd every day and he was loosing the weight. .and hurting very much BUT he wasn't on any medications. At all.

Syndrome X, as a metabolic disorder, can also cause weight gain. It usually requires a planned diet. Reasonable levels of exercise is normally prescribed too.

Your son seems to be on the right meds for PA. Nitro is taken on an as needed basis. The calcium blocker is usually once daily (maybe more, depending). I take a calcium blocker once per day.

With all of these medical problems, I would suspect that your son will soon be on a fast track to being medically discharged. I'm not being nasty about this, just honest.

I agree. We see that in our future. I want him to get out because of his health. I worry about him.

Your son needs to go back to his doctor and discuss what is going on with him at his unit. A medical officer's opinion wields a lot of power in the military. If his unit refuses to follow the MO's instructions, then your son needs to formally request mast to his Commanding General. That should shake some trees.

And Requesting Mast will be our last resort, obviously. What really hurts is the BCP has caused him to have ineligible for promotion when he has the score to pick up on the 1st.

Tomorrow, we have an appt with his doc. We shall see what she says. She has the key to his future right now.. with either medically separating him or keeping him.

I guess I'm ****ed off because there's no where to go here on Base. We have a lot of questions with no answers, no one to turn to. We went to legal but they weren't help at all. I know it's hard for me to explain what's going on because it's the internet. i HATE the internet. I don't wanna be "that" wife to go to his CO and go that route. That's not me. At all. I just know he's getting done wrong and I want it to stop because it's his health in question.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I guess I'm ****ed off because there's no where to go here on Base. We have a lot of questions with no answers, no one to turn to. We went to legal but they weren't help at all. I know it's hard for me to explain what's going on because it's the internet. i HATE the internet. I don't wanna be "that" wife to go to his CO and go that route. That's not me. At all. I just know he's getting done wrong and I want it to stop because it's his health in question.
    Hi

First of all I'm not a Marine but I've had a bit of experience with this situation from the standpoint of the Navy

You might want to try posting here:

http://www.pebforum.com

The PEB can offer a myriad of help. Most of the Marines aboard LN do try and help if they can. But I'm 56, retired 12 years ago and most of the Marines here are between 40-80 years of age. All of us a a bit out of touch with what's going on in any branch of the service

Mind if I ask your husbands MOS? Did he exhibit any angina problems in the past? How many years has he been in? Is he on any prescribed steroids?

At any rate good luck to the both of you. I understand your frustration!!

I am assuming he is at 29 Palms ? He should be in contact with the Internal Medicine area of the hospital.If he is having chest pain ,he should not be running in 100 degree weather even with medication availible. A medical officers orders are needed to spell out what he is allowed to do while on limited duty. Clinic info below.

Internal Medicine
    Internal Medicine offers the following services by referral from your Primary Care Manager: Exercise Treadmill Testing (ETT); Outpatient Halter (24 hour) and Event (2-4 weeks) monitor testing; Specialty evaluation of adult medical conditions; Evaluation for Limited Duty and Medical Boards; Coumadin Clinic; Diabetes Education (new diagnosis and follow-up) by appointment with Clinic Nurse at (760) 830-2175.
    7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
    9 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Thursdays
    830-2752

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I am assuming he is at 29 Palms ? He should be in contact with the Internal Medicine area of the hospital.If he is having chest pain ,he should not be running in 100 degree weather even with medication availible. A medical officers orders are needed to spell out what he is allowed to do while on limited duty. Clinic info below.

Internal Medicine
    Internal Medicine offers the following services by referral from your Primary Care Manager: Exercise Treadmill Testing (ETT); Outpatient Halter (24 hour) and Event (2-4 weeks) monitor testing; Specialty evaluation of adult medical conditions; Evaluation for Limited Duty and Medical Boards; Coumadin Clinic; Diabetes Education (new diagnosis and follow-up) by appointment with Clinic Nurse at (760) 830-2175.
    7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
    9 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Thursdays
    830-2752
    funny you say that.. that's who he has been seeing for the past year and a half. His doc is the ONLY internal medicine doctor here right now and she's pregnant. The ER doc told him it was VERY important to get an appt with her within 10 days... I called and it wasn't possible. That place is horrible. I really HATE that he has to go there and he hates it to.

She put him on prilosec.. told him it was acid reflux.. told him it was heart burn.. told him that it couldn't be his heart. put him back on full duty and then he kept complaining so they sent him back to her and she said "it's chest wall pains." sent him to balboa (been there 10 times).. he saw a therapist there who said "it's anxiety."

It's a nightmare, to say the least.

BUT we have an appt there tomorrow.. should be fun. one of the Staff NCO's are tagging along.. he's been real supportive

Quote Originally Posted by MOS1310 View Post
    Hi

First of all I'm not a Marine but I've had a bit of experience with this situation from the standpoint of the Navy

You might want to try posting here:

http://www.pebforum.com

The PEB can offer a myriad of help. Most of the Marines aboard LN do try and help if they can. But I'm 56, retired 12 years ago and most of the Marines here are between 40-80 years of age. All of us a a bit out of touch with what's going on in any branch of the service

Mind if I ask your husbands MOS? Did he exhibit any angina problems in the past? How many years has he been in? Is he on any prescribed steroids?

At any rate good luck to the both of you. I understand your frustration!!

He's a 2146.

Thanks for the website. I really appreciate your help.

And I understand that this site has more Veterans than anything and I appreciate any help I can get.. Thanks a bunch.

Just an update...............

Just an update......

Had the docs appt today. I went as well as his Staff NCO. I thought Staff Sgt was going to slap her, with all respect. I intervened and shared my concerns.

He's getting a med sep now and she's writing a letter stating he should have never been on BCP.

I'm so happy right now.

But.. i'm kinda upset too. She said that the doc who diagnosed him with Prinzmetal's Angina/syndrome x didn't know what he was talking about.. that he's had every work up possible (not true...no cath and no tilt table test, etc) and she wasn't going to go any further. She feels like it's not cardiac. I don't understand that if it wasn't cardiac (first assumption) then why does the meds the doc who diagnosed him help? His doc today has prescribed him 20 different meds over the past year and a half but none worked. She couldn't answer this.

I'm wondering if we should push the issue? Or how will it pan our for med board?

If the command knew what they were doing, they would put this man in front of a medical board. Sorry didn't read the last post.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Just an update......

Had the docs appt today. I went as well as his Staff NCO. I thought Staff Sgt was going to slap her, with all respect. I intervened and shared my concerns.

He's getting a med sep now and she's writing a letter stating he should have never been on BCP.

I'm so happy right now.

But.. i'm kinda upset too. She said that the doc who diagnosed him with Prinzmetal's Angina/syndrome x didn't know what he was talking about.. that he's had every work up possible (not true...no cath and no tilt table test, etc) and she wasn't going to go any further. She feels like it's not cardiac. I don't understand that if it wasn't cardiac (first assumption) then why does the meds the doc who diagnosed him help? His doc today has prescribed him 20 different meds over the past year and a half but none worked. She couldn't answer this.

I'm wondering if we should push the issue? Or how will it pan our for med board?

You need to push the issue to get as close to a determinative diagnosis as possible (nothing in medicine is 100%) before he is separated. Something is causing these symptoms, if not cardiac, what? It seems to me that they haven't finished ruling out cardiac origins.

If necessary, after he gets out, go to the VA and see what they can work up for him.

Thread Information