Is Intelligence out of the picture for me?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Intelligence out of the picture for me?

Hello Marines, i just swore in a couple hours ago and i am picking a job. Their are alot of jobs that interest me and that is why i have a "general enlistment" contract still right now.

Im looking at Intelligence because it looks like a MOS that could translate well into the civilian world while still serving my country and becoming a Marine. The only thing im worried about is the Top Secret Security Clearance. I hear they dig up almost everything on you, and though i dont have a criminal record. In high school i was suspended for about a week for having posession of a controlled substance.

Police was never involved and only the school knows about it, but im guessing this would effect my chance of getting the job?

Last edited by TheFewTheProud9; 09-20-10 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spell

Be open about it and don't hide it. You can get a TS clearance for 5 or less experimental uses of marijuana/hashish. More then 5 and you are DQ'd from getting a TS clearance and the usage or possession of drugs other then mj/hash is also an automatic DQ for a TS clearance.

Just be honest about it with your recruiter, but then again he should already know because you already went to MEPS right? And on your medical assessment forms it asks about drug use.

I was a moral waiver (mj usage) and I currently serving in the 2600 field (electronic warfare).

Sgt hit the nail on the head

be honest because they'll dig up everything you've ever done... on the other hand, there's no need to tell them you stepped on a cricket in the parking lot and feel guilty for it...

I was suspended 3 times for drinking. No problem with TS clearance

Thanks Marines, i'm just thinking about it because i only got suspended from school and nothing else happened. and my recruiter said they dont care about your high school record, thats why i dont know if i should bring it up.

I also put down at MEPS that i never got suspended from school

Quote Originally Posted by TheFewTheProud9 View Post
    Hello Marines, i just swore in a couple hours ago and i am picking a job. Their are alot of jobs that interest me and that is why i have a "general enlistment" contract still right now.

Im looking at Intelligence because it looks like a MOS that could translate well into the civilian world while still serving my country and becoming a Marine. The only thing im worried about is the Top Secret Security Clearance. I hear they dig up almost everything on you, and though i dont have a criminal record. In high school i was suspended for about a week for having posession of a controlled substance.

Police was never involved and only the school knows about it, but im guessing this would effect my chance of getting the job?
    hah, they won't care about you having a bag of pot in high school

When they do an SSBI they're looking for you to be truthful. If you spill everything and they confirm it, you'll probably be fine. It's likely they won't give a frak diddly do about a single incident that didn't even involve law enforcement, so tell them, the guys in suits will laugh it off and keep researching everything else.

The only thing you don't want to do is lie. They probably wouldn't find those records because it's not part of the normal investigation to look at internal incidents where there wasn't police involvement but there's a chance. Better they know about it and not care than have them stumble upon something you failed to mention.

But no, they won't care. Just tell them.

I also put down at MEPS that i never got suspended from school
    I assume this was by your recruiter's instructions and he knew that you had, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by FattyTheFerret View Post
    I assume this was by your recruiter's instructions and he knew that you had, correct?
    Thanks for the advice, and no he didnt tell me to do that. But he did say that they dont give a diddly squat about about what you did in high school if only the school disiplined you. which is why i put i wasent suspended on a question.

and it wasent a bag of pot it was controlled pills (only 2) so i think that would be worse then just marijuana.

Oxy?
    Yea im pretty sure that was it.

Wait, you got in trouble for possession of something you didn't know?

Either way, since it wasn't consumption and there was no legal involvement, it's highly likely that the folks doing the background check will not give half a frak. There was no arrest, no conviction, nothing but the school's report which is barely worth the paper it's written on. Basically, don't worry about telling them but don't try to hide it either. Doing so is far, far worse than the incident itself.

Also note that while there are a number of apparent disqualifying things for a TS clearance, there are plenty of exceptions made.

Wait, you got in trouble for possession of something you didn't know?

Either way, since it wasn't consumption and there was no legal involvement, it's highly likely that the folks doing the background check will not give half a frak. There was no arrest, no conviction, nothing but the school's report which is barely worth the paper it's written on. Basically, don't worry about telling them but don't try to hide it either. Doing so is far, far worse than the incident itself.

Also note that while there are a number of apparent disqualifying things for a TS clearance, there are plenty of exceptions made.
    Yea thanks alot it makes me feel alot better if i do 02XX and then they start conducting a TS.

Hopefully they dont find out anything about it, other then that little incident im clean. I just dont hope they do find out i got suspended and they see i put down not suspended at MEPS and i get a fraudulent enlistment.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yes, the the background investigators will probably go look at his high school records as they are within the ten-year window of time and he doesn't seem to have a whole mess of schools to go visit.

But, it also depends on the tasking they get from their headshed.

Yea thanks alot it makes me feel alot better if i do 02XX and then they start conducting a TS.

Hopefully they dont find out anything about it, other then that little incident im clean. I just dont hope they do find out i got suspended and they see i put down not suspended at MEPS and i get a fraudulent enlistment.
    Yeah, they won't care about that either. The fraudulent enlistment threat gets thrown around but few ever get kicked out for it and even fewer actually charged. Now if you had a serious felony on your record or a drug conviction and lied about it, yes you'd get hit with that. But stating that you were never suspended? Minor thing that no ones gives a flying frak about.

Hell, there were things I didn't tell MEPS that have come up during the investigation for my clearance. I flat out told them that yes, I used to smoke pot and yes I told my recruiter and no I didn't tell MEPS. They know the game, they full well what recruiters say and do to get kids shipped to boot camp.

Don't fret about this, you'll be fine.

Cool Thanks, when i swore in they were saying that if i lied i would go to jail for 5 years and i would be fined $200,000.

But yea if they dont ask about the high school record i wont say anything, but if they do ask ill just tell them the truth. since i was caught with pills i hope that dosent DQ me because their harsher on pills then marijuana/

Thread Information