Reporting to SOI
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Reporting to SOI

Good Afternoon Marines, I just have a few questions about reporting in to SOI that I'd like to get cleared up.

1. When reporting in with the service Alpha uniform, do I wear the garrison cap or barracks cover?

2. Am I allowed to bring an mp3 device with me to SOI?

3. Am I only supposed to have one seabag packed or is it alright to have two?

4. Should my haircut be an all around 0, or is it alright to go there with a high and tight?

5. And is there any other important items that I should or shouldn't bring to SOI?

Thank you in advanced Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1992 View Post
    Good Afternoon Marines, I just have a few questions about reporting in to SOI that I'd like to get cleared up.

1. When reporting in with the service Alpha uniform, do I wear the garrison cap or barracks cover?

4. Should my haircut be an all around 0, or is it alright to go there with a high and tight?

5. And is there any other important items that I should or shouldn't bring to SOI?

There will be more informed, or recently informed Marines on here to help you I am sure. But my two cents, Marine -

1) I don't think it matters at that point, unless you were told otherwise, since you were (assuming) issued both, and both are in regulation -- then you can check in wearing either one. But there might be a SOI rule about that so I would wait for another piece of advice there.

2) Careful, careful, careful - anyone who tells you that Marines in the fleet or worse yet a schoolhouse environment -- don't lie, cheat, or steal has never been in the fleet. You better have a lock, more than one and never leave gear adrift, never. It will walk faster than you can say, chow time.

3) I would stick to one. You are going to SOI, not a slumber party. And I am almost sure that when you get some libo,,,, you'll be wearing issued boots, cut off pants for shorts, a blazin USMC tanktop with dog tags hanging out sporting a sweet farmers tan. Trust me, pack light.

4) Go motivated.

5) Your girlfriend, don't bring her.... have fun, Marine.

Get some.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

wear your Pi$$ cover. they should have told you that leaving boot camp but it gets skipped from time to time.

yes you are allowed to have mp3 players phones whatever you like. but many companies don't allow there use during the work week.

lots of Marines have 2 but its a PITA.

High and tight is fine.

Motivation

this is all for SOI West

Don't be an idiot and instead of checking in early spend the night at a hotel and hire a bunch of strippers, drink underage, and then pop for coke the next day when you stagger down to check in.

Cause that's what my company's honor graduate and like 15 other guys did.

Since you're going West coast I assume, you'll have weekend liberty sometimes depending on the training schedule. When I was going through we had the first Saturday ans Sunday off, and then it was just Sunday until the last week when we got overnight libo. So, you'll be able to go to the beach, or Mainside and go to the PX and buy crap and eat at the Wendy's. At least that's what I did.

garrison. you'll probably never wear your barracks cover again so you might as well buy one of the quality white ones for your blues because you won't be switching it out very often

Yes. Depending on the training company you may or may not be allowed to have it with you outside of libo hours.

You can bring as much crap as you want as long as you recognize that you will have to carry and store it all. And really, get better luggage. The seabag/warbag/body bag they gave you in boot camp are crap. Get a real duffel bag but do not be one of those douchenozzles that gets the huge desert marpat bag.

get a ****ing low reg if you want. as long as you're within regulation, you're fine. MCO P1020.34g tells you what you need to know.

You don't need to walk around looking like a recruit anymore.

Bring all the uniform items you got in boot camp and just about all the important stuff. You don't need to use the crappy pens or notepads or socks they gave you so if you want to replace them with something decent, go right ahead. You'll make a PX call in training to get stuff you need and any additional things you can think of.

A lot of people will tell you not to bring a laptop or anything like that. For most, that's probably a good idea. I brought one because I knew I was going to be in holding for a while and even during training it wasn't tough to store. But realize that sometimes **** grows legs and walks away in squad bays.

Thank you Marines for answering my questions. I am just about done packing and motivated as hell for the upcoming 9 weeks !

Quote Originally Posted by Beltayn View Post
    Don't be an idiot and instead of checking in early spend the night at a hotel and hire a bunch of strippers, drink underage, and then pop for coke the next day when you stagger down to check in.

Cause that's what my company's honor graduate and like 15 other guys did.

just stay away from the blow

Thank you Marines for answering my questions. I am just about done packing and motivated as hell for the upcoming 9 weeks !
    Seriously, I'm begging you. Do not be one of those tools with the marpat luggage. It looks retarded.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FattyTheFerret View Post
    Seriously, I'm begging you. Do not be one of those tools with the marpat luggage. It looks retarded.
    this!

and when/if you get the opportunity to go out in town on libo, do not dress like a$$hat and carry your digi assault pack or war bag everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    this!

and when/if you get the opportunity to go out in town on libo, do not dress like a$$hat and carry your digi assault pack or war bag everywhere
    Exactly. It's not exactly authorized and people in oceanside are either sick and tired of seeing that **** or know it's the perfect sign that they can rip off some n00b's DFAS.

plus, motarded has "tarded" at the end for a reason

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    you'll be wearing issued boots, cut off pants for shorts, a blazin USMC tanktop with dog tags hanging out sporting a sweet farmers tan.
    Damn Wookie, your age is hanging out!

Your Going West? Because At Gieger In Nc You Dont Get Off Base Libo Until The Week Before You Graduate. This Info Is 20yrs Old. Iwas A Corpman There From 1990-1992
    Semper Fi And Goodluck Marine.

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

I think your question has been answered but I'll throw this out there

the first 2-3 days, you'll be lugging your sh!t around everywhere so pack light. You'll be switching squadbays and racks often

also, for whatever electronics you bring, make sure you have a small extension cord or power strip - you'll be the most popular Marine there as those squadbays only have like 4 or 6 outlets. Also, if given the chance to pick a rack, grab one on the wall either side of the main hatch or either one on the far, opposite wall of the hatch - those racks have plugs between them and the wall that you cannot see so you can charge your sh!t at night

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    Damn Wookie, your age is hanging out!
    Are you telling me that young boots today don't dress like that anymore?

Maybe not the cut off jeans cause there is and was a reg for that. But I bet I can go down to JVil today and find a boot just off the Depot, wearing their issued boots, a pair of shorts, a USMC tank top, with a farmers tan and dog tags banging around....

I bet, I bet, I bet....

Thread Information