Proposed book on the Language of the United States Marine Corps
Create Post

Proposed book on the Language of the United States Marine Corps

I am the author of the book "Royal Artillery Glossary of Terms and Abbreviations Historical and Modern". Following publication of this book, which is not only a glossary of terms but also includes such things as equipment descriptions and unit nicknames etc., I have started work on a similar book on my second interest, namely the United States Marine Corps.

This may seem strange, coming from an Englishman, who has strong links to the Artillery and few to the Marines, but I have always had a great respect for the US Marines and would like to contribute to their heritage by producing this book. I am contacting you for two reasons, firstly, would you be interested in supporting thsi project, either by agreeing to take a copy of the finished product or by assisting in locating a suitable publisher and secondly, and from my point of view most importantly, can you suggest a contact or contacts who would be willing to assist in checking my interpretation of phrases? Abbreviations are not really a problem, but it is important to get the definition of terms correct, and never having served in the US Marines, I am loath to commit myself to a definition without having them accurately checked. I do not beleive this would be too onorous, as I am able to check most definitions in the publications where they are found.

Thanks for your consideration.

Phil

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    This might be of some interest to you;

http://www.flipkart.com/salty-langua...ook-0974579378

It certainly is, thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by radar View Post
    This may seem strange, coming from an Englishman, who has strong links to the Artillery and few to the Marines,
    First off, heck we stopped being ticked at you gents the minute you said screw this and headed back across the pond. Ya do still make good beer, after all.

Second, the US Marines bring our own Artillery. We also fly our own planes, and while our own boats are a bit dinky, we do have an open ended lease on the ships of the US Navy. The squiddys have some pretty cool boats; and they come complete with crew even. All we gotta do is stand around and look formidable and we get a free ride; complete with artillery and planes.

Dang it!!! There I go again. Would one of you Cowboys please wrangle up that High Horse so I don't feel the need to jump up on it?

Quote Originally Posted by hillbillyjar View Post
    First off, heck we stopped being ticked at you gents the minute you said screw this and headed back across the pond. Ya do still make good beer, after all.

Second, the US Marines bring our own Artillery. We also fly our own planes, and while our own boats are a bit dinky, we do have an open ended lease on the ships of the US Navy. The squiddys have some pretty cool boats; and they come complete with crew even. All we gotta do is stand around and look formidable and we get a free ride; complete with artillery and planes.

Dang it!!! There I go again. Would one of you Cowboys please wrangle up that High Horse so I don't feel the need to jump up on it?
    Hillbillyjar, I gotta tell ya, on a day that I really needed something to put a smile on my face, you got the job done!

Thread Information