Tattoo policy?
Create Post

Thread: Tattoo policy?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Tattoo policy?

Here is my situation, I went to MEPS and checked out great physically.

Only problem is, I have to get 15 college credits to join so I won't be able to sign papers until January.

So my question is about what I can do with my tattoo?

I have a cross on my right arm that does NOT show with a pt shirt on. My recruiter took pics of the tattoo and pics of my tattoo covered up by a pt shirt and sent them with me to MEPS when I went. But since I have 4 1/2 months till I'm even able to sign papers, can I finish my tattoo by adding around it to make it a quarter sleeve that still won't show in a pt shirt?

And if I can add to my tattoo, will it make more hassle for my recruiter, because if it will, than I'll just forget about it because I don't want that.

That seems like something you might want to ask your recruiter, but according to the Marine Corps Order.

B. BAND TATTOOS: A TATTOO WHICH PARTIALLY OR FULLY ENCIRCLES THE CIRCUMFERENCE OF THE BODY PART. OFFICERS ARE ALLOWED BAND TATTOO(S) WITH A MAXIMUM WIDTH OF TWO (2) INCHES. ENLISTED MARINES ARE ALLOWED BAND TATTOO(S) WITH A MAXIMUM WIDTH LESS THAN ONE-QUARTER OF THE RESPECTIVE BODY PART(S) (I.E., LEG OR ARM) EXPOSED SURFACE WHILE WEARING THE STANDARD PT UNIFORM.

Hope this helps.

Credits
    Savings
    Doesn't sound like you have a HS diploma, needing 15 college credits.

You have a tattoo. Your recruiter has done his job.

Now you want to screw things up for him AND yourself.

Read the order - above.

Get real. Bet you don't get the credits by January, if you are more worried about ink.

It will most likely add drama both for you and the recruiter and could, potentially, affect your ability to enlist in the first place. Remember, policies change all the time, and tattoos are no exception.

Have you talked to your recruiter about it? Talking to either your recruiter or your recruiter's SNCOIC would be the best bet.

My advice would be to leave it alone for now. There is time for that once you are in. Good luck with your 15 credits, we do what we must to join. Hell, I went to summer school and graduated from the 11th grade to join. Motivation, obviously you have some.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    yeah, the reason why i have to get the credits is a long story due to moving around the states for my dads job growing up and i finished high school by homeschooling for one english class...so i have to have a 50 on the ASVAB or get 15 credits, I made a 47 so I gotta get the credits.

But like you said, gotta do what ya gotta do, I'm not worried about it, I'm sure 2 more months of school will be the least of my problems.

Thread Information