Top Secret Security Clearance (02xx)
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Top Secret Security Clearance (02xx)

17 years old in my senior year of highschool. I've been talking to my recruiter and have decided to go with 02xx Intel Field. Waiting to go to MEPs so I can study get my ASVAB and get a higher score. The only thing I am worried about is my TS Security Clearance. My concerns are my past use of marijuana, nothing that can legally prove it but I hear they will be interviewing people I don't even really talk to, I haven't smoked for about a year and don't plan on it anytime in the future. I'm very serious about this. My neighbhors is my next concern, they almost all hate us and my family which I dont wasn't to get into because it's a long ass story. They would have nothing but negative things to say about me. I plan to go door to door and explain what's going on and kindly ask them for positive support to give the interviewers. Another one of my concerns is my Juvenile record, I was arrested at 15 years old for shoplifting which resulted in 6 months informal probation and 30 hours of community service. I'm talking to an attorney now to get that expunged. At 16 I was also pulled over driving without a license, which is apparently just a DMV fraction. I Also went to an alternative highschool to catch up with credits for a year and a half, it's a completely normal school and it is intended for kids who got caught behind credits because they offer a system that will allow you to catch up. I'm going back and graduating from my traditional high school second semester which is ranked in the top 5 of CA. I've never had any debt or financial issues because I have never had a job besides my own income from DJing. Will they interview kids that were in my classes or just my references? As far as my references I'm putting my girlfriend/wrestling coach/best friend. I know it all looks negative but these are just the things I'm concerned about there is a lot of positive such as sports and great character traits which I'm sure they will recognize. My worst fear is they look at this as some dumbass kid that thinks hes going to be James Bond, deny my clearance while I'm in boot camp and I'll be sent to a field I don't even want to be in for the next four years. So I'm asking for you're advice, should I go for an MOS that doesn't require the clearance or take the (good/bad) chance of me getting the clearance and going into Intel. Thanks in advance.

Have you bothered to read this thread that Sgt Leprechaun posted as a sticky here in the Ask A Marine forum? It just may answer your questions.

Medical & Criminal Waivers...READ THIS FIRST

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=97158

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    Have you bothered to read this thread that Sgt Leprechaun posted as a sticky here in the Ask A Marine forum? It just may answer your questions.

Medical & Criminal Waivers...READ THIS FIRST

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=97158
    Thanks for the reply, reading that post scares me I was diagnosed with ADD in the 8th grade and took medication for about a year. Didn't think it would be an issue.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    does your recruiter know about this juvenile record of yours?

does your recruiter know you want the 02xx Intel field?

Don't worry about something you cannot control at this point, if you have spoke with your recruiter about what you want and these issues and he is working for you then you shouldn't be here asking us.

Credits
    Savings
    My recruiter knows I want the 02xx field and said I need to get my ASVAB score up. I've spoken to him about my juvenile criminal record but he didn't seem to say anything about it as relevance for the clearance. None of the other issues I have spoken to him about.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    does your recruiter know about this juvenile record of yours?

does your recruiter know you want the 02xx Intel field?

Don't worry about something you cannot control at this point, if you have spoke with your recruiter about what you want and these issues and he is working for you then you shouldn't be here asking us.

For the drug use, when i came in for the 2600 field, anything more then 5 times experimental use of marijuana/hashish disqualified you for the necessary clearance. Minor traffic infractions don't really matter unless you have a lot of them. The only thing that may cause problems is your shoplifting conviction. For this, the best thing to do would be sure to talk with your recruiter and ask him to find out if it will DQ you or not. He or someone else there, or someone at your RS should have some sort of checklist or document that explains what DQs somebody for that clearance.

Expunged doesn't exist, especially when you will be requesting a high-level security clearance. You will be subject to a single scope background investigation, you will have to account for the last 10 years of your life. They will look at your records, talk to those you put down as your references (they don't normally talk with people outside of that), and they will talk to you (bootcamp, MCT, and periodically at other points). Ask your recruiter about it and be truthful cause if you are hiding stuff they will find out.

Your clearance can not be denied while you are at bootcamp because of the fact that your investigation will not be completed in that short amount of time. Some people have to wait months or a year or more before their clearance becomes active.

@WMarine, the thread reference that you gave pertains to enlistment not to security clearances, just FYI, so not really much help in this case.

An SSBI will interview all sorts of people, starting with your references and moving on from there. Friends, neighbors, teachers, etc. A local records check will be conducted, and be prepared to explain, in GREAT and exacting detail, ALL contacts with law enforcement....expunged, charged, or not. (I've had investigators come and ask folks that were NOT listed as references, when doing the SSBI...so it's possible, not trying to contradict you Sgt H...).

These investigations take 6-10 months at minimum.

You'll need ADD waiver, criminal waiver....mmmmmmmmmm.....

All investigations are different. I currently have a TS clearance and mine took a little less than 2 months to complete. Some of my peers have been here for 2 years and still don't have a clearance. Based on your past history, your investigation will be one of the longer ones and they will contact people at your school, friends, neighbors etc. They will also contact many people not on your reference list. During my investigation, they only attempted to contact one of my references but never did get in contact with them. If you aren't willing to do other jobs that don't require a TS clearance, don't join.

Thread Information