Reserves- worth it?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Reserves- worth it?

I've been hearing nothing but bad things about the reserves. Things like, most all Marines hate on all reservists. They don't know how to do their job during deployments and are useless. The whole questionable deployment issue bothers me, I plan to go Intelligence. Does this mean I'm not really going to be used during deployment as much as an active duty intel Marine?

I've found out that most intel is useless regardless of who it comes from.
    "There's a hot spot in the road go check it out, it could be an IED"...or a f*cking rock since it's about 5000 degrees out here.
    "There's a possible ambush over there go check it out"...what b*tch?!?!? :ow do you check out an ambush lol

Quote Originally Posted by itsy View Post
    I've been hearing nothing but bad things about the reserves. Things like, most all Marines hate on all reservists. They don't know how to do their job during deployments and are useless. The whole questionable deployment issue bothers me, I plan to go Intelligence. Does this mean I'm not really going to be used during deployment as much as an active duty intel Marine?
    They have to be better than the army national guard.

Last edited by hussaf; 09-12-10 at 10:11 AM. Reason: ....

Does it matter? Does enlisting on the Reserve side fit with what you want to do?

You may have a good job that you can hold on to while you're at drill or on a pump overseas. You could probably go to college if you feel like it. Marines are going to bust other Marines balls for a variety of reasons.

A Marine is a Marine is a Marine is a Marine unless you suck; then you're a suck-azz Marine regardless of AD or Reserve status.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Saying a reservist doesn't know their job or know how to act on deployment is complete garbage. I know many reserve Marine in my company and others that are better decorated, know their job, and are just plain and simply better Marines than their active duty counterpart.

That said, if I had the choice again between reserves and AD I would definitely go AD. Much better opportunity to become a better Marine, leader, NCO, SNCO, etc....IMO

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    Saying a reservist doesn't know their job or know how to act on deployment is complete garbage. I know many reserve Marine in my company and others that are better decorated, know their job, and are just plain and simply better Marines than their active duty counterpart.

That said, if I had the choice again between reserves and AD I would definitely go AD. Much better opportunity to become a better Marine, leader, NCO, SNCO, etc....IMO
    QFT.

Yeah, a lot of Marines hate on us, sometimes it's because the reservists they've worked with have sucked, sometimes it's because they're jealous that they get lifed if they don't shave every day and have to have their rooms inspected.

Make your decision based on what's best for you, not what other people will think of you. Their opinions don't mean jack as long as you're doing your job. I know reservists with more deployments, time in country and combat experience than some active duty guys.

And don't let Blackhaus give you **** about intel. His opinion on the matter doesn't exactly jive with the rest of the people in combat zones.

Quote Originally Posted by FattyTheFerret View Post
    And don't let Blackhaus give you **** about intel. His opinion on the matter doesn't exactly jive with the rest of the people in combat zones.
    Ha how would you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Backhaus 1103 View Post
    Ha how would you know?
    Because there are tons of Marines that say the intel they've received saved their lives or was critical to accomplishing the mission.

Quote Originally Posted by FattyTheFerret View Post
    Because there are tons of Marines that say the intel they've received saved their lives or was critical to accomplishing the mission.
    Well not this guy. Most intel comes from ISR (the UAV flying thing) and locals that call and tell us sh!t. ISR is pretty bad, we called it Idiots Seeking Ribbons. You can't get good intel from a plane run by people who have never been on patrol.
    The civis that call in are usually working for the talibs or working both sides. We had a guy who lived right outside the yellow school who we though was working for us but it turned out that he would call up the taliban and tell them where we were going and our numbers. He was one of the causes of three of my friends almost dying.
    Our intel was really sh!tty and I'm just talking from what I've seen.

Understandable, just wanted the OP to realize there are other opinions of intel out there.

Double post...f*cK you phone

Thread Information