Sewing on Chevrons
Create Post

Sewing on Chevrons

Has anyone ever had to sew on their own chevrons on their dress blues jacket?

I am unable to get them done before my grandfathers funeral, to make a long story short, my grandfather passed away and I never updated my chevrons. I was promoted in Iraq and got out a few weeks after getting home.

If anyone can help that would be great, Im not sure if I can get someone to sew them on in under a day, so I am stuck doing it my self. Thanks in advance.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Find a good tailor , give him the regs for them in place, get er done

I sewed mine on once and they looked pretty darn good. Just make sure you get some red thread and you should be able to use the stitch holes from the previous chevrons as a guide. It wasn't that hard at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MSgtSki View Post
    I sewed mine on once and they looked pretty darn good. Just make sure you get some red thread and you should be able to use the stitch holes from the previous chevrons as a guide. It wasn't that hard at all.
    Oh, and one more thing. Make sure they match your service stripes (brightness wise). That was what I noticed once I had gotten done was that my shiny new chevrons made my service stripes look pretty faded.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I am gonna go against what the Master Guns said there and tell you to find a tailor. Tell them the regs and you should be good. I did mine myself last year and while they are within regs and I even passed an inspection there is something about 'em that looks off...kinda drives me crazy

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The DUKE View Post
    Find a good tailor , give him the regs for them in place, get er done

If you have the time, you can check at various dry cleaners and see if they have a seamstress on staff or on contract who can do it.

My ex is a seamstress on the side (and has been for years). All she needs is the regulations info. Some tailors/seamstresses who don't have as much experience with uniforms as she does may ask you to pin them exactly where you want them.

Liquid Stitch (Fabric Glue) works awesome. I have been out since 03 wanted to where my service charlies last year for a small event. Went and picked up a Charlie Shirt for a few bucks from a military surplus store. Had no cheverons. Bought the Liquid Stitch applied it, measured it stuck it. Let it set for a day, then I ironed it down with steam, and set the crease. Looked like a professional talior job without the sewing. No one could tell they where glued and ironed Lance Criminal Cheverons.

A lot of dry cleaners will sew as well...particularly on base. You might not be able to understand what the base cleaner's workers are saying...but they'll hook you up.

Its not too difficult to find a 24 hour turn around as well.

I've sewn on chevrons, its not too hard. Use previous guiding mark, like already mentioned...or just measure it, its pretty easy. Stripes are tricky though, I don't think I've ever done service stripes. For chevrons, just make sure you measure and pin them solidly before you start sewing. And you can sew corners to start off and make sure its flat and even, then tighten it up after its secured.

...Or just not worry about it. Its a funeral, not an inspection. You're there for the deceased, not yourself...so don't stress. Your presence and support to friends and family is what etiquette demands, not cloth sewn on your arm.

Thread Information