Stationed in Okinawa Japan?
Create Post
    Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Stationed in Okinawa Japan?

are you allow to bring your family with you?...
    I heard you cant cause its consider a deployment and its just temporary...not sure if its true.

Quote Originally Posted by jasbasjb View Post
    are you allow to bring your family with you?...
    I heard you cant cause its consider a deployment and its just temporary...not sure if its true.
    depends on what the orders are. 2 year stationed no, 3 year stationed yes. 6 month UDP no.

Accompanied or unnacompanied tours are exactly that...

I have a question for Marines stationed in Japan. When I was there the dollar was worth 360 yen,now it's about 90 yen.
    Do you spend most of your time on base?
    Can you afford to do anything in the local economy?
    Believe me when I say I made next to nothing when I was there
    But I made enough to go out eat drink and be merry in Iwakuni
    and spend some weekends in Hiroshima.
    I also knew some guys who were in Japan who had their family with them,but they were not on 1 year WestPac orders.
    Base housing was not available so they had apartments in town.
    Not sure that would be possible today with the devalued dollar.
    Answers to these questions may help the poster to decided if she really wants to go to Japan.

To the OP, if you're married you come on a 1 year unaccompanied tour or 3 year accompanied tour, whether you want to come with your significant other or not. It's 2 years for any other situation (single, girl/boyfriend, fiance).

Hereandthere, I can't answer as far as Mainland Japan goes, but here in Okinawa I know a lot of people go out and about all the time, especially drinking. There are other things to do as well of course. As a spouse, she'd be able to do them a lot easier than most Marines since she and her husband will be able to have a car. Base housing will be available for sure, it just might not be on the base you work on. Only people that get living quarters in town (that I know of) are SNCOs and officers, so it looks like she won't even have the option to do that.

Actually, where you live in Okinawa as a married Marine is soley dependant on two things: Rank, and availability of on-base housing. Certain ranks can deny on-base quarters with command approval. And if there are absolutely NO housing available (as it is right now), then the housing office gives you a list of local agencies that have been inspected by the DoD and you choose where you want to live off-base.

I'm new to the marine way of life.
    I'm in a family full of rangers and my fiance joined the marines and will be heading to Japan in November and will be there for 2 years. I finish up all my schooling in decembe and want to plan to move there. Will that be aloud? And if so how do we go about doing so.

14DEC2008, since you're not married to a Marine yet, you're no Marine Spouse.
    You have no profile, so we have no idea who you are.

Thread Information