Prescription Medication and Boot Camp
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Prescription Medication and Boot Camp

Hello Marines;

I currently am prescribed Singulair for chronic Hay Fever (excess mucus in sinuses which I don't believe is grounds for disqualification or requires a waiver since it's just stupid perpetual, seasonal allergies), and I'd like some information as to if I am able to take the medication in Boot Camp, assuming I get the green light at MEPs once I go to swear into DEP (I'd enlist now but my parents won't sign anything so I have to wait until I turn 18 in December). I've heard from certain people that I'd be re-prescribed (if that's even a word) the military version of the medication at sick call once I get enter processing at Boot, and yet I've also been told that military pharmacists might end up giving me some over-the-counter allergy medication like Clariten instead of my prescription (which is a completely different allergy medication). Singulair is the only type of medication that relieves the symptoms, and thus I'd rather get an answer from a community of people that actually might know what they're talking about; thus I decided to post my question here.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you

Ben

When you get to boot you will be "re-prescribed" your old medication, or an equivilant of it. Just depends.

Short answer: yes.

If you have all the right medical files and it's all approved for you to take during training they will prescribe you what your doctor ordered though it may be generic. Turn your meds into them and chances are you'll be able to at least finish off the set you have before they give you more. Not sure if they still allow this.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner614 View Post
    When you get to boot you will be "re-prescribed" your old medication, or an equivilant of it. Just depends.
    So by equivalent, you mean the same type of medication, ie a different brand (whatever brand the military carries)? So they wouldn't just give me some anti-histamine that doesn't work for me?

Quote Originally Posted by FattyTheFerret View Post
    Short answer: yes.

If you have all the right medical files and it's all approved for you to take during training they will prescribe you what your doctor ordered though it may be generic. Turn your meds into them and chances are you'll be able to at least finish off the set you have before they give you more. Not sure if they still allow this.
    So by generic, it'd chemically be the same medication; just the brand that the military carries; correct?

Thanks for the clarification, Marines.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Couldn't edit my post, so I'll make this double post just because...sorry if it breaks the rules:

I'm just trying to be totally sure because again, I wouldn't want to end up with a totally different medication that wouldn't work for me because it'd make Boot Camp a lot harder than it already would be, even though I guess I'd just have to bite my tongue and push through the annoyance.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
    So by equivalent, you mean the same type of medication, ie a different brand (whatever brand the military carries)? So they wouldn't just give me some anti-histamine that doesn't work for me?

So by generic, it'd chemically be the same medication; just the brand that the military carries; correct?

Thanks for the clarification, Marines.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkHorse
    Couldn't edit my post, so I'll make this double post just because...sorry if it breaks the rules:

I'm just trying to be totally sure because again, I wouldn't want to end up with a totally different medication that wouldn't work for me because it'd make Boot Camp a lot harder than it already would be, even though I guess I'd just have to bite my tongue and push through the annoyance.
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for the swift clarification, Corporal.

Guess I should start getting the ball rolling with a recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
    that's been a big kerfuffle in the medical world for longer than either of us has been alive; generic medication is pretty much the same but almost always a slightly different formulation. some doctors specifically prescribe name brand and advise against generic, though some are doing so because name brand is better while others are doing so because there's more in it for them. depends on the drug, condition and your doctor

The military doesn't carry any specific brands. I've been given bottles of ibuprofen with three different types of pills in it that are all still 800mg of ibuprofen. Motrin is motrin is motrin.

Either way, if you can bring your own medication, wonderful. Depending on the drug they may not have a generic version at the depot, they may only have it. If you have a prescription to show them at MEPS and it says "no generic" they may or may not have to hold to that.

Really, it's up in the air but one thing you shouldn't let them do is try to prescribe you a different type of medication. Name brand vs generic is one thing, loratadine vs montelukast is a different beast entirely.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    That makes a lot of sense. I'll definitely bring the prescription to MEPs and won't budge if they ask me to consider another medication. One thing I know is that the stuff I take (Singulair, or montelukast) is expensive as hell (insurance pays for most of it though). I hope the docs aren't like "We don't have it in any form; it's too expensive".

Thanks for the information.

Maybe you should look at other options besides the military.If you think the military will cater to your specific needs you are very wrong. Your specific medication may be availible near a large hospital,but most likely won't be in the field.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Maybe you should look at other options besides the military.If you think the military will cater to your specific needs you are very wrong. Your specific medication may be availible near a large hospital,but most likely won't be in the field.
    I already stated that I'd bite my tongue and just deal with the Hay Fever if I can't use the medication, but honestly I'm not asking the military to bend over backwards for me. I was simply requesting clarification as to the military's policy on specific prescription allergy medication, which is completely valid query. Nowhere did I say my decision to enlist will be effected by any of this, nor did I state that I wouldn't forgo the medication if I needed to.

The recruiter, and MEPS, will be able to give you definitive answers to this. If you REQUIRE medication (not 'I'd like to have it because it makes me more comfortable), then there is a good likelihood you'll be disqualified. (A wannabee here was just DQ'd for Acne, for crying out loud...).

I'd guess, and it's only that, that you are going to require a waiver, which may, or may NOT, be forthcoming.

Final bit, "you'll git what ye git". If you want something specific instead of what the military provides, be prepared to pay out of pocket for it.

And advising US what is a 'valid query' when you haven't spoken with a recruiter or been to MEPS is arrogant at best. Learn now, the people giving you answers are, for the most part, experienced NCO's or LPO's (that's an HM1, E-6, for example, you just lectured to..). AZZ-ume for just a microsecond that they have more experience than you do.

I guess you didn't read the required stickies at the top of this forum.Here is the link which may explain things.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=97158

'Doc, thanks. If he has a 'prescribed' med, then my first thought is this is going to be a DQ, even if it's a 'voluntary' 'scrip. But because it's 'allergy' related, and possibly a seasonal thing, it may not be an 'auto DQ'.

HQMC is awful funny about those things these days. Esp. in our current combat envioro's, with much dust/crud/debris/sand/etc, and where post nasal drip, sinisitus, etc are the 'norm', rather than the exception, I just don't know.

Thread Information