Prior Service Age Cut Off
Create Post

Prior Service Age Cut Off

Does the Marines accept prior service after the age cut off? I am 36 but I have a Bachelor degree and 10 years in another reserve service. I have searched the internet and have seen nothing that says anything about the Marines, only other branches(which do factor in prior service).

Thanks for your help

I am wanting to join the Reserves(sorry I did not specify)

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I wish I could answer your question but you want to go through boot camp at 36?....

Would not hurt to try, if you find that you cannot then you can go into the Army.

I'm not sure what it is exactly, but we had someone in their 30's in our platoon with 8 years prior service. It might be possible, but you need to talk to a prior service recruiter.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by polizei View Post
    I'm not sure what it is exactly, but we had someone in their 30's in our platoon with 8 years prior service. It might be possible, but you need to talk to a prior service recruiter.
    I believe prior service recruiters are for Marines that have gotten out and want back in, not for other retired branch members.

The rule of thumb (Anyone correct me if I'm wrong) is :
    Currently max age for Marine Reserve is 32.
    With prior service you need to subtract constructive service time from your actual age to reach your enlistment age so 36 years old minus 10 ( If this is your constructive prior service ) equals 26 years old. Based on this you qualify, However at 36 can you complete Boot camp with a group of 18 to 20 year olds ? (no sarcasm intended)

Prior service is factored in to the waiver process. However, I believe officers are totally different.

Contact a recruiter, they'll know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    I believe prior service recruiters are for Marines that have gotten out and want back in, not for other retired branch members.
    Ok, nevermind then! Talk to a normal recruiter anyway....they'll have the best answers as they are also the most knowledgeable.

Thread Information