combat V - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: combat V

Thanks Commander! I'll try and track that book down.

GG, the MOH was awarded, and later rescinded, to Dr Mary Walker, a female doctor during the Civil War. The civilian was 'Buffalo Bill' Cody. His was also rescinded.

The 'pyramid' of honor began exactly as you stated, it was felt that the MOH was being 'de-valued', and other awards were needed. There were actually several Marines who had double MOH's, awarded both by the Marine Corps and the Army (a WWI phenom done for the same acts) and then Marines who were double winners for separate acts of valor (Dan Daily).

I can bore you for hours with this...

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post

GG, the MOH was awarded, and later rescinded, to Dr Mary Walker, a female doctor during the Civil War. The civilian was 'Buffalo Bill' Cody. His was also rescinded.

The 'pyramid' of honor began exactly as you stated, it was felt that the MOH was being 'de-valued', and other awards were needed. There were actually several Marines who had double MOH's, awarded both by the Marine Corps and the Army (a WWI phenom done for the same acts) and then Marines who were double winners for separate acts of valor (Dan Daily).

Jason

You're not going to bore me, I teach history. I'm always happy to learn something I did not know. I know during the Civil War, the MOH was awarded way above and beyond the norm

If you can find Hamilton's book I think you'll enjoy it. He had great contact with JFK's best friend Lem Billings and also got access to the FBI files Hoover kept about Jack and his affair the the early 40's with a Nazi spy, "Inga Binga" But his info about PT 109 is top notch. Unfortunately his plans to do a volume two, from 1948 onward was killed by the Kennedy family.

Mary Walker's MOH was recinded, then later returned to the family in 1977. So she remains the first and only female MOH winner.
    http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detai...-dr-mary-e.php

Last edited by stretchusa; 08-28-10 at 02:39 PM. Reason: I can't spell

I stand corrected! That's what I get for not checking all the facts and going with what I thought I 'knew' LOL

I stand corrected! That's what I get for not checking all the facts and going with what I thought I 'knew' LOL
    LOL, No worries you are right about Buffalo Bill though. In 1917 they went through all the MOH awarded up to that point and found 910 that they felt were not warranted. Thats when Dr. Walker's was recinded. By the way since she was a contract surgeon she still is the only "cilvilian" to have earned the MOH.

look i got v BIG DEAL---just can't remember why ok maybe i'm blocking it

the crap that i did over there stays there ok buried there

i need to talk - but can'tv unless i'm drunk

is there a difference between the BRONZE V and the GOLD V? I'm not sure if you only wear the gold one with your blues or what?

No, there is no difference. I've seen both worn and even 'mixed/matched'. Totally up to your preference from what I've been able to see.

I just found this on the "home of heroes" web site. Civilian Scouts US Army Amos Chapman Fort Supply, OK, Buffalo Bill Fort McPherson, NE, William "Billy" Dixon Indian Territory James B. Dozier Ft. Richardson. They all received the MOH. There were 422 MOHs given for the Indian Campaigns 1862-1889.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

The Valor device denotes those individuals who were awarded a decoration in recognition of valorous act performed during direct combat with an enemy force. It may also denote an accomplishment of a heroic nature in direct support of operations against an enemy force.[1] Generally, the Valor device is for specific heroic acts during or supporting direct combat with the enemy. The award must also be personally recommended by a superior and is not an automatic decoration or upgrade.

Thread Information