Dress blues for recruit graduation
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dress blues for recruit graduation

okay so on the paris island web site they say under the FAQ's that : Is there a dress code for recruit graduation and family day?
    A: No, although conservative attire is recommended. The uniform of the day on Parris Island is Service Charlies and military guests are asked to either wear their service equivalent or dress uniform.

My question is dress blue bravo's a correct dress uniform to wear?

If you go in Dress blue bravos you might show up the graduate a little. I would think the deltas are the way to go if you wanna wear the blues.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo4 View Post
    If you go in Dress blue bravos you might show up the graduate a little. I would think the deltas are the way to go if you wanna wear the blues.
    Totally agree with this one (or even service bravos/charlies). One thing to note is that at least the Air Force and Army call their service uniform their service "dress" uniform. How do I know? I showed up at an Army event in my Blues Bravos since the invite said "service dress". The other folks weren't dressed quite as formally.

Quote Originally Posted by Cplmorris08 View Post
    The uniform of the day on Parris Island is Service Charlies and military guests are asked to either wear their service equivalent or dress uniform.
    Short sleeve. Either service chucks or dress deltas according to that website.

you're supposed to be in uniform with all the other Marines on base... if they're wearing chucks then you're wearing chucks.

Quote Originally Posted by itzs4m View Post
    you're supposed to be in uniform with all the other Marines on base... if they're wearing chucks then you're wearing chucks.
    Not so at all. The deal is that you have to be in AT LEAST the uniform of the day. If you choose to be in a more senior uniform, that's fine.

With that being said, it would fairly uncool to upstage the recruits/Marines who are graduating by being in a more senior uniform than they are. It's their day, so let them shine in all areas. They earned it and, on that day, it's their house.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MGySgtSki View Post
    Not so at all. The deal is that you have to be in AT LEAST the uniform of the day. If you choose to be in a more senior uniform, that's fine.

With that being said, it would fairly uncool to upstage the recruits/Marines who are graduating by being in a more senior uniform than they are. It's their day, so let them shine in all areas. They earned it and, on that day, it's their house.
    Thanks for this ^^
    I'm retired 5 yrs now.. My son's at MCRDSD atm and I was debating wearing my Dress B's to his graduation. Felt conflicted b/c I didn't know if it was poor form to wear and upstage his graduation. Probably just wear deltas now.
    thanks

What's YOUR reason for wearing your dress blues? Show "them" -- the public that you are a former Marine? Your son already knows you are a Marine and more than likely, has seen you in DB. Better to say it than show it. More importantly, your son's graduation is HIS day to be acknowleged for his accomplishments. Don't take this special recognition from him. Ms. Manners of Military would say, "Tacky, tacky, tacky. Bad move."

SSgt F. Lee
    Board Director
    USMC Combat Correspondents Assn.
    RVN, '67

Quote Originally Posted by marine142 View Post
    Thanks for this ^^
    I'm retired 5 yrs now.. My son's at MCRDSD atm and I was debating wearing my Dress B's to his graduation. Felt conflicted b/c I didn't know if it was poor form to wear and upstage his graduation. Probably just wear deltas now.
    thanks
    MCRD San Diego does graduation in blue C/D (as appropriate for the season), so you should be fine doing the same.

As far as I know, Parris Island does graduation in service A.

Probably depends on the season just like San Diego. I was just at PI for graduation in June and they were in Charlies. When it turns cold they're most likely in Alphas.

Don't upstage his day...go in civies. It's not about you and what you want to do. It's neat you both served but if you want some pics of yourselves together in uniform take them some other day.

I'm sorry, I really wasn't asking for permission to wear my uniform. rather stating THANKS for clearing up which one I should wear.

we are a family of 5 that have survived 2 counties and 4 states and many separations and hard times throughout (my 3 kids) growing up period. and I've seen many puke kids of military families with no respect for the FLAG or our Country or the uniform we wear.

My son's older brother (who will be wearing his uniform as well) joined the USAF last year.. could be going to the sand box anytime. My younger son will most defiantly be going soon.

I must say both these men love their country and the FLAG and the uniform we wear .. it's NOT neat or 'some pics' but it's a milestone for our family... a changing of the guard so to speak.

If you all desire to wear civies when your son graduates from MCRD then have at it.. but as for us.. we just wanted to know which uniform to wear.

It's a Family Affair

Not sure why your family moves and separation relate to your desire to wear dress blues of versions thereof, but those who responded -- including myself perceive it as desiring self recognition. That said, it's not our opinion that counts, but how your son will feel about it. It's like going to my son's college graduation and boasting to friends, strangers, etc. that I also graduated from the same school.

Regardless of whether you wear A, B or C's, it's yours -- and your son's life.

S/F
    Vietnam vet

w/e .. moderator please delete my posts.. i cannot.. ty

I hope ya'll are proud, you didn't give him the exact answer he wanted so now he's gonna leave.

Then WEAR IT. I have seen the 'old tymers' wearing the Uniform of the Day, Blues, Chucks and other stuff. Make sure you meet uniform regs is all I would concern myself with.

Blue bravo is just as good as a Suit with Mini medals.

I say it's your call.

Thread Information