Joining with GED and fifteen credits.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Joining with GED and fifteen credits.

I realize a high school diploma is something an average person generally should get but i was in a negative stage and just wanted to screw off alot and in turn didn't get my diploma.

Im 17 and too far behind to catch up. So i was planning on my GED with 15 college credits. I want to know if its true i will be just as equal to a recruit with a diploma. That percentage of ged holders allowed a year is very low i know so im wondering if by having 15 credits i will in fact not be put in that percentage. My brother joined the army and was treated like crap by them.

Though hes a die hard dude and all i sorta would like to be a marine more. It seems the army gets more washed up drugees or idiots. Or according to my brother they do.

Anyways,I realize im no hot shot without a diploma. But the marines are the one thing on my mind in this world,i lacked the discipline to complete traditional school but i must know if this 15 credits will redeem me! Being a jarhead is my ultimate goal! I know the marines is the only branch i would be honored to be in!!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    you won't be looked down upon at boot camp or once in the fleet if thats what your asking..

getting in right now with a GED even with those college credits is gonna be tough though

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Finish high school, even if you have to take some kind of adult learning or night school thing. Get a diploma. With some exceptions (home schooled kids, for instance) the Marine Corps looks at a GED holder as a quitter. Thus the need for 15-hours of college credit.

At the best of times, the Corps was only accepting GED/college credits in 5% of all recruits (that is nationwide). Once the 5% was reached, GED waivers stopped for the rest of the fiscal year.

Now that the Corps is full and is facing a possible reduction-in-force, GED waivers are rarer than hen's teeth.

If you have no self-discipline for "traditional school," where are you going to find it while getting 15-credit hours from a college? College is much less structured than high school and takes much more self-discipline to successfully complete.

If you have no self-discipline under a structured environment, I got bad news: the Marine Corps is highly structured and claiming a lack of self-discipline or having "negative vibes" gets you zero sympathy points. It gets you brig time and a less-than-honorable discharge.

Reassess your life and take positive steps to prove yourself self-disciplined and not a quitter.

I have the self-discipline now.

I just wanted to know if im in the percentage. Thanks for the downer hahaha

I could make it through high school,in fact while i was there i had a 3.4 gpa

But i simply wanted to be cool and rebel.But now i look forward to work and pushing myself to the limit. School always seemed like a bunch of crap.

But i will see what the high schools here can offer. Otherwise it seems i wont be getting in. I dont get it though,Are we not having a conflict right now?

Last time i checked the marines recruited high school dropouts in vietnam. Including those with criminal records. I don't see the light in this. Sounds like changing recruitment standards must fit the scenario.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by codinky01 View Post

But i simply wanted to be cool and rebel.But now i look forward to work and pushing myself to the limit. School always seemed like a bunch of crap.

But i will see what the high schools here can offer. Otherwise it seems i wont be getting in. I dont get it though,Are we not having a conflict right now?

Last time i checked the marines recruited high school dropouts in vietnam. Including those with criminal records. I don't see the light in this. Sounds like changing recruitment standards must fit the scenario.

Well, Vietnam was then, and this is now. Right now, Marine recruiters have fully qualified candidates lined up trying to get in and they don't need waivers. Who would you take when you have the luxury of choice? A kid 100% ready to go, or a kid who needs waivers that means extra paperwork - waivers that may not be approved?

Be careful, some of the Marines on this site are those Vietnam vet high school dropouts/bad boys you mentioned. They will rip your head off in prose.

I've told this to a number of wanna-be's: Being a Marine is a contact sport. If you can't take it here, you won't take it there.

I think you're confused by Zulu's post. You can get in with the GED +15 credits and you will be considered a Tier I applicant (same as a h.s. graduate).

The point Zulu was making is that if you couldn't do it in h.s. it'll be even harder for you in college.

And IMHO, if you still have the opportunity to complete h.s., go for it. It's not going to take a life time to complete, but it can effect you for the rest of your life.

Just graduate High School.
    I hated it too and didn't have the best GPA.
    That being said I did graduate. Got my Diploma.
    Enlisted with no waivers. Had a successful 4 year enlistment and
    "retired" as a Cpl.

Thank you then.

As for you zulu. I have family that were in vietnam.

He talks plenty about it, Giving me such a rude and vulgar threat just over that was very bravo!

I can see you have personality defaults. Thanks for the help!

Off to high school biotch!

If it's a question of not wanting to be a fifth year or 19 year old senior around your friends, transfer to another school.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thank you then.

He talks plenty about it, Giving me such a rude and vulgar threat just over that was very bravo!

uh oh..................popping popcorn

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thank you then.

Yes, I do have personality defaults (actually the correct word in this context is "faults"), but I came by them honestly.

Unlike you, I finished high school on schedule without needing the "rebel without a clue" excuse. Plus a few extra grades.

Good luck unplugging your head and growing up.

everything everyone is telling you in this thread is BS....

you can join without a GED or a diploma. you just have to score good on your asvab and have a stellar GT score...(your recruiter will need a waiver from the CMC)

i know from personal experience. i came in without either, and was told i'd need my GED to re-enlist, but that is also BS. i re-enlisted once without either.
    after my second tour i got out and got my GED and then came back in as a reservist. but i honestly dont think i needed to, im pretty sure i could have stayed in...but that's neither here nor there.

but for the record i have/had a 133 GT

Vietnam was a different time and the Marine recruiters...infact all the branches recruiters, simply needed warm bodies. The draft was going on and the military needed to fill slots from a general population (hippies, flower children, and whatever else was walking around during that time) who were against America being in Vietnam. If you at least had a heartbeat, you were accepted. Hell.... you could have flat feet...and wear pink panties.... and you could get accepted. I was in during that time.... and I can tell you...some that were accepted should not have been and tended to be the 10% sh!tbirds you hear us discuss all the time.

These days, the Marines can be selective. Training a Marine in his/her MOS is not cheap and if the Marines are going to invest that money in you, they are looking for someone who is going to do the job well and give them a return on their investment.

You are young, go back to school....or as suggested... to night school and get your regular diploma. Prove that you have what it takes to admit you were young and stupid....as we all were at some time in our lives....and then apply.

Don't start out by having to fight for a 5% slot.

Things change.

Last edited by Sgt Leprechaun; 08-24-10 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by GREY MATTER View Post
    i came in without either
    ...12 years ago.

Thread Information