mos problem
Create Post

Thread: mos problem

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

mos problem

First off, I'd like to thank anyone who took time the time to try and help me out here cause I'm not to sure what i should do in my situation.

I enlisted back in June knowing that there are not many MOS's avalible to me due to high demand and whatnot. On my ASVAB if memory serves me right, i got a 67 AFQT, 128GT, 144MM, 128EL, and i don't remember the other scores. the first question i have is are those scores as good as my recruiter has been telling me? I know i qualify for all the enlisted MOS's to my knowledge but it doesnt matter at this point because they are telling me the only three options i have are either comm, motor transport, or open contract. Motor T is out of the question for me but im not to sure weather i should go comm or open. They told me if i did go open i have a high chance of getting a good technical type mos cause of my high scores and i like the thought of that, but i dont know if i should gamble on an open contract or just go for comm and see what happens... if anyone has seen or had any expiriences going open contract with high scores please share them, good or bad, i'd be very grateful.

It's very possible. This late in the recruiting season, there likely isn't much left to choose from.

You have a good chance if you take open contract of getting an MOS that couldn't be filled....like "Bulk Fuel". Chances of getting something technical....mmmmmmm....I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Comm isn't bad.

Remember, anytime you gamble, the deck is always stacked in favor of the house.

Jus' sayin.

If you are wondering about how scores are taken into account when it comes to MOS eligibility then simply ask your recruiter to show you their MOS manual, which lists out every MOS, its description, and what scores are required for the MOS (GT, MM, etc.).

As for open contract, diddo what Sgt Leprechaun said, you are gambling. The communications field could be interesting though (I'm not comm, but had to learn the ins and outs of radios at my last unit), especially when you delve into high frequency communications, its an art.

I would wait it out and see what your recruiter says after the end of the fiscal year. You can always join the Marines to be a Marine but who wants to do bulk fuel?... Or admin?... Or food service?... Yeesh.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Yeah, thats pretty much the answers I was expecting to hear about the open contract stuff.. Of course I want to be a Marine, but like stated already, bulk fuel, admin, secretary or something of the sorts is defiantly far from everything that the Corps can offer in terms of a MOS. Comm has been something I have been considering but I cant honestly say that I'm all that interested in doing that kind of stuff, so I'm kinda in a hard place. The only option I feel like I have left at this point is to do what IVIanOnTheIVIov said and see what the next fiscal year brings, but Im going to imagine that it won't look all that much better considering how packed I hear the Corps is (even though I would be the last one to know how true that really is). But regardless thank you for trying to help, its kinda hard to make an informed decision on something that you know nothing about.

New fiscal year, it doesn't matter, EVERY MOS opens up with school slots come 1 October, that's how it works. Because you are trying to enlist basically near or at the end of the FY, you are getting the leftovers.

But it's your call.

Thread Information