Aviation Ordnance
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aviation Ordnance

I leave for boot camp Monday 20100816. My current MOS is 6500 Aviation Ordnance. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of how long the entire MOS schooling is? Not including classing up ,but how long from starting the class in Pensacola all the way to the end of whatever C School I get, such as Cherry Point.

Depends on what platform you will be working on for C school length. But the odrie guys school is fast. Probably no more than 5months.

thanks

Did you specifically get a 6500 MOS in your contract or did you sign a contract with an AF option?

Quote Originally Posted by WXSgt View Post
    Did you specifically get a 6500 MOS in your contract or did you sign a contract with an AF option?
    My statement of understanding says.
    4. Program Code - AE
    4a. Program Description - Aviation Support
    4b. Military Occupation Field(s) in Option - 6500- Aviation Ordnance, 7000- Airfield Services

Quote Originally Posted by davidlee2010 View Post
    my contract say AE then 6500 or 7000.
    Ok good because say you want ordinance and the recruiter says sign AF it includes ordinance but in reality its almost everything non electrical on the plane so engines body ejection seats and all the ground equipment they use. I just wanted to make sure that you had a correct option and wasnt being mislead.

I edited my post to be more clearer. So with what I have written, that does mean I have Aviation Ordnance correct? I was Aircraft Structural Maintenance ,but got my date moved up so I had to change MOS's. I was pretty pumped to find out I got this one. I have heard very good things about Ordnance.

6500 or 7000? youre sure bout that? i honestly dont know what the AE option is, but if you are correct then there is a good chance it would be ordinance but the 70XX field is pretty cool as well.

yeah I have paper right in front of my face. I think AE is for Aviation Field..

I honestly dont know what AE is only AF but agin if what you are saying is correct you should enjoy

yeah I have paper right in front of my face. I think AE is for Aviation Field..
    An AE is an Aircraft Electrical Systems technician. Equivalent to a Navy Aviation Electrician's Mate (AE). The following is the description.

Aviation Electrician's Mates (AE) are aircraft electricians. They maintain a wide range of electrical and navigational equipment in aircraft including power generators, power distribution systems, lighting systems, flight instrument and fuel systems, temperature and pressure indicating systems. AEs are also trained in computers to support this state-of-the-art equipment. These technicians may also volunteer to fly as Naval aircrew. Aircrew perform numerous in-flight duties and operate radar and weapon systems in turbojet, helicopter, or propeller aircraft.
    Duties performed by AEs include:
    • testing, installing and maintaining a wide range of aircraft instruments and electrical equipment including generators, motors and lighting systems;
    • reading electrical system diagrams;
    • maintaining aircraft compass systems;
    • performing electrical troubleshooting operations;
    • using a variety of electrical measuring equipment;
    • performing micro-mini module repair; maintaining automatic flight control systems;
    • maintaining inertial navigation systems;
    • performing as aircrew on various aircraft.
    You cannot get the AE rating as a "guaranteed job" in your enlistment contract. Volunteers for this rating enlist in the Navy as an Aviation Sailor (AV), and are selected for either this rating, or the Aviation Electronics Technician (AT) rating upon graduation from the Common Basics Electronics Course at A-School (job school).
    Working Environment
    Sailors in this career field will perform duties at sea and ashore around the world. At various times they could be working at a land-based aircraft squadron or onboard an aircraft carrier, either indoors or outdoors, in a shop environment or in office surroundings, and at a clean lab bench or in a garage-type situation. They work closely with others, require little supervision, and do mental and physical work of a technical nature.
    A-School (Job School) Information
    • Common Basics Electronics Course, Pensacola -51 calendar days
    • AE A-School, Pensacola - 79 calendar days
    ASVAB Score Requirement: AR+MK+EI+GS = 222 OR VE+AR+MK+MC=222
    Security Clearance Requirement: Secret
    Other Requirements

So.... if what I found is in anyway correct, you might want to verify what an AE is with your recruiter.

Well my spirit may have just been broke..

I just talked to my recruiter, and all though he fairly new, he said that I am Aviation Support and will be either Aviation Support or Airfield Services (which is crash fire rescue)

aviation support? airfield services is more than CFR its also expeditionary airfield(they make forward airfields)

I just talked to my recruiter, and all though he fairly new, he said that I am Aviation Support and will be either Aviation Support or Airfield Services (which is crash fire rescue)
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Again digging found the following:

Many people are aware of the job that Marines in the Corps perform and their bravery as infantrymen. But another proud job that Servicemembers perform in the Marine Corps is the Aviation branch. The U.S. Marines have a whole fleet of different aircraft, including KC-130 refueling tankers, AH-1W Attack Cobra Helicopters, F-18 Fighters, and AV-8B Harrier Jump Jets. These and other Marine aircraft are used in a wide variety of missions and launch from military bases and installations based around the world, as well as certain amphibious ships and aircraft carriers. To keep this fleet of aircraft in military readiness for its missions, the Marine Corps rely on its Aviation Support Marines. Aviation Support is a professional rating that trains Marines in various jobs that are vital to combat and flight operations that the Marine Corps participate in. The jobs in this specialty include:
    -Weapons support system technicians.
    -Electronics and Aviation electronics.
    -Aviation Operations.
    -Aviation Weather Service Support.
    One of the steps to improving its fleet aircraft state of readiness, in 1978 the Marine Corps base at Twentynine Palms, California was revamped. It was re-designated as a combat and air-ground combat support center. Doing this allowed the evaluation and testing of methods and control systems for direct air support and combined arms missions. Marines involved in aviation and aviation support began to cycle through Twentynine Palms for training. This included both ground and air units.
    The Marines have an established organization structure for Aviation support. The Marine Corps Air Ground Task Force (MAGTF) has elements in four major areas.
    -Ground Combat Aviation and support
    A Combat Aviation element may consist of an aircraft wing, more than one aircraft wings, or a helicopter squadron. Jobs in the Marine Corps Aviation area are challenging, and require good physical dexterity and an ability to think clearly and swiftly, and an ability to make sound decisions. The pride and the success of Marine Corps Aviation have been by gritty determination, hard work, and a willingness to revamp areas as new technology becomes available.
    The Marine Corps was the first in the U.S. Armed Forces to utilize the British Built AV-8A Harrier. Beginning in 1971 it was produced in the USA by McDonnell Douglas, the Harrier is a VTOL aircraft, vertical takeoff and landing capable. The Marine Corps are also on the cutting edge with the new aircraft, the MV-22 tilt rotor Osprey Aircraft. This is intended to replace the aging but stalwart CH-53A Sea Stallion Helicopter for Marine Corps usage.

I have to tell you... I trained as an AT which is Aviation Electronics. Went to various schools during my 8 years. After I got out, I went back to University and completed my education in Electronics. I have been in electronics as a Senior Design Engineer for years. Pays well and pretty damn good working conditions. The only negative to the job is you tend to get broad_ass_itus from sitting at your desk.

Thread Information