MOS problem
Create Post

Thread: MOS problem

MOS problem

I enlisted in April and ship out near the end of October, and there is one problem. I dont have an MOS set yet! The list of available slots hasnt come out yet. Originally it was set for june, then pushed to July, and as of now it is supposed to come out in August. Im hoping for Security Force or Infantry. I really do not want to show up at boot camp with out an MOS. I plan on asking my recruiter about it soon but what do you guys think? Whats the worse that can happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve018 View Post
    I enlisted in April and ship out near the end of October, and there is one problem. I dont have an MOS set yet! The list of available slots hasnt come out yet. Originally it was set for june, then pushed to July, and as of now it is supposed to come out in August. Im hoping for Security Force or Infantry. I really do not want to show up at boot camp with out an MOS. I plan on asking my recruiter about it soon but what do you guys think? Whats the worse that can happen?
    You don't have to ship without a MOS. If your not comfortable leaving without having an MOS tell your recruiter you refuse to ship without a field selected for your future career. This is your choice not anyone else's make sure you get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve018 View Post

Sounds like you enlisted open contract correct? My girlfriend just got done with detassiling and was talking to a Marine for me to get some info. he enlisted as open contract and that's how he went to Boot Camp, he said it was the biggest mistake of his life. I don't know exactly what he wanted to do but they put him as a truck driver and that's not what he wanted as far as I know "don't quote me I could be wrong", when you enlist as open contract you don't always get the MOS that you want. I was also reading some other stuff around this site earlier hearing a Marine talking about your not always guaranteed your MOS unless your in the ready reserves. Now I'm not sure if all that's true but that's enough for me not to go open contract so I went 0311.
    Also another tip he said don't go to Japan lol they will make you stay there and you can't leave or something like that. Good Luck.

I'll give you a straight answer...

Just about everybody who is enlisting into the Marine Corps is signing on as Open Contract. Why? As of now, they're at 110% of the recruiting goal for FY2010, so there are just no other options unless you're a reservist or someone else drops a contract (for whatever reason) and a spot opens up.

Now, the good things for you is, you ship at the end of October and FY2011 starts at the beginning of October, meaning, that a very wide array of jobs will become available to you before you ship (as long as you qualify for them). However, if the MOS field you're trying to get into does not become available to you by the time that you ship, you can refuse to go until you get the contract that you want (again, as long as you qualify for it). Otherwise, once you take your Oath the second time at MEPS and swear-in to active duty, you just have to deal with your Open Contract and whatever MOS you're allotted.

If you're really that worried about it, take it up with your recruiter or your RSS' commander, contact him once a week to see if any contracts become available. My Gunny has been checking on contracts for me regularly, but he's not worried about finding one for me before I ship.

Good luck to you, you have plenty of time to get this figured out.

I gave my recruiter my "wish list" friday. I ship out Oct 25, just relax, if your recruiter told you that you were getting an MOS then you ARE getting an MOS. I made sure my recruiter knew that I wasn't shipping open contract. So now I wait to see if I get what I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rough Hands View Post
    I'll give you a straight answer...

Just about everybody who is enlisting into the Marine Corps is signing on as Open Contract. Why? As of now, they're at 110% of the recruiting goal for FY2010, so there are just no other options unless you're a reservist or someone else drops a contract (for whatever reason) and a spot opens up.

Now, the good things for you is, you ship at the end of October and FY2011 starts at the beginning of October, meaning, that a very wide array of jobs will become available to you before you ship (as long as you qualify for them). However, if the MOS field you're trying to get into does not become available to you by the time that you ship, you can refuse to go until you get the contract that you want (again, as long as you qualify for it). Otherwise, once you take your Oath the second time at MEPS and swear-in to active duty, you just have to deal with your Open Contract and whatever MOS you're allotted.

If you're really that worried about it, take it up with your recruiter or your RSS' commander, contact him once a week to see if any contracts become available. My Gunny has been checking on contracts for me regularly, but he's not worried about finding one for me before I ship.

Good luck to you, you have plenty of time to get this figured out.
    Thanks, I remember my recruiter saying how the jobs open up at the beginning of october. Hopefully a slot is available for me, if not I will do what you said (wait until the next oath).
    Thanks everyone for the help, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Noll View Post
    I gave my recruiter my "wish list" friday. I ship out Oct 25, just relax, if your recruiter told you that you were getting an MOS then you ARE getting an MOS. I made sure my recruiter knew that I wasn't shipping open contract. So now I wait to see if I get what I wanted.

My ship date is Oct. 25 as well. See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by BassPro0007 View Post
    My ship date is Oct. 25 as well. See you there!
    does that mean we will all be in the same platoon haha

Thread Information