How do you graduate top of the class at boot?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

How do you graduate top of the class at boot?

I Enlisted as an E-2 Pfc and leave for boot camp in 31 weeks almost 30.
    As you can see in my signature my goals and where I am at as of 20100701.
    I leave 20110124. I may have an opportunity to leave earlier but I don't think I'm fully ready. I would rather be to the top of my game and know instead of think that I can graduate top of the class to be promoted to E-3 LcCpl.
    I have been running 5+ miles a day, weight lift Mon, Wed, and Fri. Tuesday I swim and run and steam room, and Thursday I PT at 17:30 with all our poolees which is about 10 of us. I also have been trying with my pull-ups strapping 25lbs on my waist and doing sets that way? I am 185lbs 5'9" I'm good on my weight but some people say I have to much muscle? My goal is recon, but I also have a very low ASVAB score.
    By the way I do know what Recon consists of and I know just about every single infantry rifleman wants to do it.
    Any suggestions?

Don't be a tool.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    What do you mean Pfc Colin?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Sir I wasn't bragging if that's what you thought. I'm asking how to improve.

Last edited by Sgt Leprechaun; 07-14-10 at 06:05 PM.

Best way to graduate at to become Plt Honorman, or Company Honorman is to be motivated, work hard, score top PFT, Expert Rifle, and in general soak up as much knowledge as possible, and apply the knowledge. On top of that you have to show your Drill Instructors that you want it. If you can do those things you have a shot, but remember in the end its the Drill Instructors and Officers that make the final decision. Best of luck

Put yourself last and your fellow recruits first. Do it because you want to be a leader not because you want rank.
    If you got the chops your Drill Instructors will notice.

Sgt leprechaun, wan't making fun of him, I was being dead serious when isaid don't be a tool. You may have an amazing pft and shoot expert at the rifle range, but it isn't going to do you much good if you are obnoxious or your attitude is poor

Quote Originally Posted by Capital M View Post
    Sgt leprechaun, wan't making fun of him, I was being dead serious when isaid don't be a tool. You may have an amazing pft and shoot expert at the rifle range, but it isn't going to do you much good if you are obnoxious or your attitude is poor
    Yes but leadership in the Marine Corps starts with the lowest ranks which includes PFC'S. It is more beneficial as a leader to give Poolee's first hand knowledge, and explain why you do something. By just saying don't be a tool, shows poor leadership. Because you did not explain why or how not to be a tool. Just saying something like that, and walking away show's no leadership characteristics of any kind. I see you just became a Marine this year. I'm sure your knowledge of boot camp, and current regulations are more up to Par than mine and other Marines since its been a few years since we where there. Lessoned learned Devil Dog, Semper Fi

i graduated in 2006 im not sure how they do it now but i will give my advice. what the marines said above is correct. knowledge is key at least when i went through know marine knowledge by heart because that is what they tested on the most on the board. practice shooting also see how fast you run the 3 mile try to strive to get a 18 min and get 20 pull ups and max situps also drill if you can find someone to teach you thats great cpl's and sgt's should know due to cpl and sgt course or a rotc member. but here is were mine was different and i hope someone can help with this the plt after me had three marine's promoted to lcpl. i got to spend an extra week home befor i went to mct so thats why i was with them. they told me they were trying something new i dont know if it stuck because it sounded like they promoted one guy out of each plt one higher. so its like the honor rect out of each plt. but i hope the first part of this helps. good luck. and if you have a low asvab i suggest practice and retake it again that should be fine as long as you meet the score for the field you have now and if you get a higher score then it will help to go recon.

and one more thing i came into bootcamp in great shape sounds like you will too. the physical part was not very chalenging for me but mentaly it was hell

Credits
    Savings
    Make sure your boots fit and you wear clean socks and undies.

... an E-3 outta boot is the bootest of all boots. You don't get to play with the big boys and the 1's and 2's don't like your ******* attitude. The only bennie is the pay.

Its not hard - just stay motivated and make sure you're the Plt guide by the end of 2nd phase

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the advice Marines! I was talking to my recruiter today about it and he said just be diciplined and a hard bad ass. He said when they ask for you name yell as loud as you can it shows initiative. He said you will be in charge of 70 other Marines. That you can't ask for the squad leader or Guide position they give it to the best. He said knowledge wise I'm good just need to work on my PT a little more. He was also talking about not being afraid of the DI's or they wont like you that much more. They want someone that's brave and everything.
    If there's anything else to add please let me know. One of my recruiters said he didn't like the guy who got it because he passed out in the end on graduation day while in formation, and he was to cocky. He said be confident but not over confident.?? If anyone has any more please let me know? I guess I may be a little to pridefull sometimes and over confident, so if you know how to improve please let me know? Thank you.

volunteer for everything. correct other recruits as soon as they allow you to. learn your general orders. show speed, volume and intensity. never back away from anything. never grow tired and always know that those around you are always more tired/frustrated/scared/nervous than you and use that energy. have no limits and more importantly, inspire other recruits when they think they have limits. when (not if) you are on the quarterdeck, try your best to kill yourself more than the di's try. that and get someone to show you how to carry a guidon. (the last being the least important)

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by marharri View Post
    volunteer for everything. correct other recruits as soon as they allow you to. learn your general orders. show speed, volume and intensity. never back away from anything. never grow tired and always know that those around you are always more tired/frustrated/scared/nervous than you and use that energy. have no limits and more importantly, inspire other recruits when they think they have limits. when (not if) you are on the quarterdeck, try your best to kill yourself more than the di's try. that and get someone to show you how to carry a guidon. (the last being the least important)

I actually took notes for your post thank you very much. I have memorized the 11 general orders so far. But I'm not and won't be a Marine yet how do I correct other recruits? Wont that make them hate me? Then there will always be that stupid f'er that says I'm going to shoot that guy in the back over seas just cuz I hate him. I've heard so many military personnel say stuff like that. I just wouldn't want them to hate me but if that's my job to correct them and be on their ass I sure will do it!
    Thank you.

Thread Information