DI from PI 1972-1974
Create Post

DI from PI 1972-1974

New here but I was wondering if anyone here was one of my recruits... I wonder what happened to you after graduation... with the war still going on and all. I ran into a fewcouple of you but not many.

I was at PI in 2nd battalion from 1972 to 1974. DI Sgt. Redmond

retired now in Texas.

Credits
    Savings

D.i.

Sgt.Redmond, Did you know ssgt vallencourt/r.Kay/T.Fagan / 2nd battalion p.i. Moz

Sorry, but I did not... were they in 2nd Bn at the same time? Weird I would expect I knew them all or was at least familiar with the name.

Guess I'm getting older than I thought

We were not usually familiar with "hats" in other bn's unless we were friends, neighbors or went to DI school together.

I was at PI 72/73,but I don't remember many names.

Well I was definitely not a recruit back then, nor was I born, but I do work at 2nd Battalion here on PI.

Credits
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by xjintx View Post
    Sorry, but I did not... were they in 2nd Bn at the same time? Weird I would expect I knew them all or was at least familiar with the name.

Guess I'm getting older than I thought

We were not usually familiar with "hats" in other bn's unless we were friends, neighbors or went to DI school together.
    I graduated in Oct,1968 from 2nd bn. They were my d.I.s and it definately was 2nd bn. i was in the wood barracks last on the street.They had just started bldg the new base hosp. accross the street. Moz

We were in the wooden barns...
    Most "hats" stayed 2-3 years if not relieved sooner. Some stayed on the Island in other positions like DI school after their tours.
    I was in 1st Bn in June of 69 and my Sr DI was still on the field when I returned in 72 for DI school.

Gy Sommers was my squad instructer in DI school after just completeing his tour as a DI in 2nd Bn. Of course he went on to become SgtMajor of the USMC. Sgt. Lee was a hat with me and he too went on to become Sgt Major of the USMC too. Guess I sluffed off

I was at P.I. from11-23-73 -11-23 75 at cash sales attached to Men's clothing and then Housing from June 75-Nov.75

PLT 288 Clark, Moore and Williams 8-72 / 11-72 Know any of the 3? If you were behind 288 you were stepping on tobacco spit!

There were a couple of Moores... any chance yours was MadDog Moore? I know you would not know his nickname but we did He was a young hardcharging black Marine and actually was a cook before DI. The Williams I remember was tallish thin blck Marine if I'm thinking of the same one. The Clark I remember was a smallish guy... I think? mad Dog and I were pretty close the others were "around"

Remember any other DI's from the series?

Credits
    Savings

2nd bn D.I.s

How about ssgt Reid.ssgt Callahan/sgt Sutton/ssgt Boyles/sgt Coffman/sgt Little/ssgt Moore/ssgtFairman/ssgt Allsbrook they were in my series back when! one of them suckers P.T.ed us to death on some kind of loyalty after chow one night ! LOL!! Come to think of it ? It very well could have been Moore ! A short stocky Guy. Right ??

Last edited by gkmoz; 07-23-10 at 08:43 PM. Reason: add

Thread Information