Possible to have an MOS Change?
Create Post

Possible to have an MOS Change?

My recruiter has already told me it's impossible to get my MOS changed before I go to Boot Camp which I can deal with considering it's my own fault I signed up for the MOS thinking it was as close to infantry as possible, but in the future as in the next 2 years will it be possible to change from Field Radio Operator to Infantry? I'm signed up for 8 years of Reserves and my situations have changed and Active Duty will be a much better decision for me and I'd like to switch to Active Duty but I've been told i can't for two years. Will I be able to change my MOS then? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    if you haven't shipped yet you should be able to change over to AD but your ship date to boot camp will probably be pushed back

You might have to wait until the next Fiscal year to get anything done.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I think this would be a much better question for you recruiter. By the way you signed up 6 years and 2 years inactive. Every Marine know's once you enlist you enlist at 8 years.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnyE7 View Post
    I think this would be a much better question for you recruiter. By the way you signed up 6 years and 2 years inactive. Every Marine know's once you enlist you enlist at 8 years.
    What???

Quote Originally Posted by Poolie Lillis View Post
    My recruiter has already told me it's impossible to get my MOS changed before I go to Boot Camp which I can deal with considering it's my own fault I signed up for the MOS thinking it was as close to infantry as possible, but in the future as in the next 2 years will it be possible to change from Field Radio Operator to Infantry? I'm signed up for 8 years of Reserves and my situations have changed and Active Duty will be a much better decision for me and I'd like to switch to Active Duty but I've been told i can't for two years. Will I be able to change my MOS then? Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    It's not exactly limited to two years but it's not exactly easy to augment to active duty. Note that once you're in the reserves going active almost always means you're going to activate with a reserve unit as AR, ADOS, etc. Actually going active with an active duty unit is a lot tougher.

Some MOSes have plenty of AR billets available. Some are extremely limited. Something you won't necessarily know until once you've gained access to MOL/RDOL.

I changed my MOS while at MCT but that was only because I decided to change my duty station location from San Diego to Chicago. They had to find an MOS in the area. No idea how easy or hard it would be for you to do the same.

Fatty, you're a reservist?

Do not go in with a contract that you do not want.

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    Fatty, you're a reservist?
    Semper Sometimes

Though my current civilian contract has me working with Marines every day...I just don't have to shave as often.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyOps View Post
    Do not go in with a contract that you do not want.
    Easily the most important and intelligent piece of advice that has ever been posted on this forum.

Changes to anything once your in are very difficult.

IF you don't like your current setup, don't do it! The recruiter may be annoyed/****ed at the fact he has to redo your paperwork, but it is still your life. Once you join, your life no longer belongs to you.

Do you want Active or Reserve? Be a man and make a decision. Planning on going Reserve now to go active later is not the way to do it. Actually switching from Reserve to AD is difficult, or if you go Active Reserve, promotions are much slower.

However, your ship date will definitely change. And like someone already pointed out, you may not be able to reapply for a new MOS until the next fiscal year.

I see. Thank you for the info it's greatly appreciated. I'm sticking with Reserves after Boot Camp, MCT, and 0621 MOS School. I talked to a Gunnery Sgt in Oakridge and he told me that when 2 years is up which starts from the day I go to Boot Camp that I need to talk to the head of my Reserve Unit and tell him I want to go active duty or ask him that I want to have my MOS changed to Infantry at the Reserve Base in Johnson city and try to go Active from there. I ask him what do I do if they say no? He told me don't take no for an answer and that if I want it bad enough then I have to push for it. So That's what I'm going to do. I'm going to wait it all out until then. If I was to be discharged and DEP'd back in I wouldn't go to Parris Island until NEXT Aug.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolie Lillis View Post
    I see. Thank you for the info it's greatly appreciated. I'm sticking with Reserves after Boot Camp, MCT, and 0621 MOS School. I talked to a Gunnery Sgt in Oakridge and he told me that when 2 years is up which starts from the day I go to Boot Camp that I need to talk to the head of my Reserve Unit and tell him I want to go active duty or ask him that I want to have my MOS changed to Infantry at the Reserve Base in Johnson city and try to go Active from there. I ask him what do I do if they say no? He told me don't take no for an answer and that if I want it bad enough then I have to push for it. So That's what I'm going to do. I'm going to wait it all out until then. If I was to be discharged and DEP'd back in I wouldn't go to Parris Island until NEXT Aug.
    I've also heard this "two year" thing but have never personally seen an order or directive that mentions it. Doesn't mean it's not true, tho.

That being said, "don't take no for an answer". LOL

If there are no billets for your rank and MOS available it doesn't matter how hot **** you are, you won't go active.

Thread Information