Ways to Dramatically Improve your IST Scores - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    The way i got better at running was running with a 25 pound weighted vest on that my recruiter had laying around his office. I'd usually put it on and go for about a mile/ mile and a half each day until that distance wasn't as hard then i kept doing that until my endurance was good enough for longer distances. It does help but it wears you out quicker. The vest can help also with pull-ups.

Here is what I'm doing. I play football. But I have a IST Saturday at a poolee function.

I've been working out Monday- Saturday, all summer. Mon. Wed. Friday: 6am-8am sprint/condition 8am-9am: Lift. Tues. Thurs. Saturday.: Run approximately 3.5 to 4 miles.

I'll be updating my IST scores saturday later that afternoon. It'll be my first one.

At the IST at MEPs they stopped me at 5 pull ups, and i did 60 crunches in 50 seconds so I hope i can hit 100 they stopped me with them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmac73 View Post

At the IST at MEPs they stopped me at 5 pull ups, and i did 60 crunches in 50 seconds so I hope i can hit 100 they stopped me with them too.
    The sit ups are the easiest part...I usually do 100 in the first minute without a break, and then I just do intervals of 5 during the 2nd minute.

Quote Originally Posted by the802 View Post
    The sit ups are the easiest part...I usually do 100 in the first minute without a break, and then I just do intervals of 5 during the 2nd minute.
    For some reason, my crunches suck. It's the same problem I have with push-ups; I can do them just fine, with perfect form, but I can only manage to do them slowly, so I tire out quickly. I can't seem to do them faster, and can only manage 50-55 crunches within the allotted two minutes... So I'm gonna be working on those a lot in the 8 weeks that I have left.

My flexed-arm hang is steadily improving however, I'll bet my run has too, but I haven't done a timed run since the last IST. The next one should be today or next week, but we shall see.

Thank you, poolees. You've really helped me to improve and prepare myself physically for recruit training.

Quote Originally Posted by the802 View Post
    When i first went to meet my recruiter about 3 months ago he tested me on my pullups and crunches. I did 4 pullups and like 65 crunches in 2 minutes. Over the course of those months I've worked on pullups and crunches almost everyday and my pullups have only gone up by 2 but i can do about 95 crunches in the 2 minutes now. It seems like crunches improve really easily over everything else. Still got another 4 months before I ship out, so I'm hoping I can get 120+ on my final IST before I ship out.

Last edited by tblake87; 08-12-10 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Grammar Fix

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I havent worked on sit-ups at all and I have my first IST on satuday, but i can max 20 pullups.

i run with ankle weights and a 15 pound pack, it helped my run time by alott!!!

I also have MCJROTC in my school i'm in it and the work outs we do help out. But lots of slackers that just join for fun in it

If you're fat, lose weight, that will DRAMATICALLY increase your IST scores, and if it doesn't it will make it easier for you to accomplish your goal. Fat people can't run... for long...

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    If you're fat, lose weight, that will DRAMATICALLY increase your IST scores, and if it doesn't it will make it easier for you to accomplish your goal. Fat people can't run... for long...
    haha

Quote Originally Posted by Meagan92 View Post
    i run with ankle weights and a 15 pound pack, it helped my run time by alott!!!
    Lose the ankle weights; they'll screw with your joints and tendons in your knees and ankles.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    how do you run with ankle weights? thats gotta be really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    LMAO

I have an IST at this weeks pool function.. I'll see how much my crunches have improved or sucked more than before. My abs start burning and I end up with no energy to pull myself up after 65 - 70 crunches. Running and pull ups I should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rough Hands View Post
    Lose the ankle weights; they'll screw with your joints and tendons in your knees and ankles.

oh i didnt know that, they havent been hurting me or anything, did this happen to you or someone you know?

Quote Originally Posted by calebh180 View Post
    how do you run with ankle weights? thats gotta be really hard.

lol its not that hard, its like running with those weights you put around your wrists, you just strap them on and go, its works your thighs more than anything

Thread Information