is there anything like MAVNI in marines????
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

is there anything like MAVNI in marines????

hi there, im a foreign student studying in US.
    joining the marines is the very thing that i wanted for my ife.
    however, im barricated by the indentity requirements
    im not a us citizen, and dont have a green card.
    is there any possibility that i can enlist the marines?

as i know, there is a program called MAVNI in army through which one can enlist the army after staying in US legally for 2 years.

is there anything in Marine like this MAVNI program??
    i don't want army because i do want to become a marine, the few, the proud, right? lol.
    thanks

Have you researched at all about the MAVNI program? It only applies to people with critical skills needed. here is a link for some info on the program http://www.visapro.com/Immigration-A...s/?a=1350&z=29

I'll look it up some more and get back to you but i would need to know where you are from and any skills you have.

http://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/...faq_111009.pdf

No the USMC does not have this program(this is a DOD program) I was looking further into it and realized we do not have physicians so cant do that and our linguists are required to have top secret clearances and be a US citizen so again that precludes you. sorry to tell ya

You need to have a valid green card.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vic1000 View Post

as i know, there is a program called MAVNI in army through which one can enlist the army after staying in US legally for 2 years.

i don't want army because i do want to become a marine, the few, the proud, right? lol.
    thanks

No there isn't..........Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by WXSgt View Post
    Have you researched at all about the MAVNI program? It only applies to people with critical skills needed. here is a link for some info on the program http://www.visapro.com/Immigration-A...s/?a=1350&z=29

I'll look it up some more and get back to you but i would need to know where you are from and any skills you have.

from China,apparently, with proficiency in Mandarin.

THX, guys

THX, guys
    How about "Thanks Marines", not thank guys.

Is it the job you would end up doing or the title and uniform you are after?

There is nothing wrong with the USArmy. In fact there are many elite units such as the 175th Ranger BN that the chances are you would never make it into.

If you want the gig. If you want to serve. Then do so where you can.

you can however join the army under the mavni program and get legal residency or citizenship then do an intraservice transfer and join the Marine Corps towards the end of your army contract

No such thing anymore as the 'interservice' transfer I'm afraid. He'd have to complete his enlistment, then re-enlist (can literally do this the day after EAS), complete recruit training, etc.

And no such thing as MAVNI in the Marine Corps.

thanks
    How about capitalizing Marines?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    No such thing anymore as the 'interservice' transfer I'm afraid. He'd have to complete his enlistment, then re-enlist (can literally do this the day after EAS), complete recruit training, etc.

And no such thing as MAVNI in the Marine Corps.
    Since when? A guy I worked with last year was doing it. I'm honestly asking when they cancelled the intraservice transfer

My mistake on that. I should have clarified a bit:

"The MAVNI program will expire on Dec. 31, 2009, unless the Secretary of Defense extends the cutoff date. The program's results and the needs of the different branches of the military will determine whether it continues or is expanded."

There was a 60 day extension which expired in Feb of '10.

The 'interservice transfer' program (such as 'blue to green' and 'green to blue') have not been in effect for ENLISTED folks for several years. (Officers are a whole different story and not really pertinent to this forum). The 'blue to green' was an Army program that targeted AF and Navy specifically, but also included the Marine Corps and Coast Guard as an afterthought ('Selected members *may* be qualified...).

The idea of interservice transferring is a long held one, but very, very few are EVER allowed to do so, and those who are allowed to do it (I'm talking in the middle of an enlistment, NOT at the completion of one....that's considered a re-enlistment into another branch) are almost unheard of, and mostly from the officer Corps.

kk ty for the clarification

THX, guys

So... Are you from China and just kind of acting like we're supposed to know that? Or are you just not quite sure if you're actually from China. With your profile not filled out it's a little hard to know where your from.

Thread Information