Marine Uniform Regs? Vietnam 1970-1972?
Create Post

Marine Uniform Regs? Vietnam 1970-1972?

Hey Marines! If any Marine could help me out here?? I was wondering about if during 1970-1972 Vietnam....if line company Marines serving in Vietnam wore rank on their lapel or soft covers....or both? and what about the EGA/USMC heat transfer? On ERDL pattern camouflage utilities? and soft covers?....and last question.. did all Marines have the m1941 USMC harness? Or..m1967 "H" harness?
    OR...is all above just a matter of unit S.O.P. and supply issues?

Thanks..Semper Fi!

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

What lol Oh here we go again tugging on us old guys memories. All I ever wore was my greed T-shirt, and my flak jacket when I went out on daily patrols along with two bandoleer's around my chest, a few grenades, and helmet, no rank. I wore tiger comm o's. As for harness that left up for those guys who did Long Range Patrols (LRP's) 30 days or longer, I never had that honor.

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerhund0311 View Post
    Hey Marines! If any Marine could help me out here?? I was wondering about if during 1970-1972 Vietnam....if line company Marines serving in Vietnam wore rank on their lapel or soft covers....or both? and what about the EGA/USMC heat transfer? On ERDL pattern camouflage utilities? and soft covers?....and last question.. did all Marines have the m1941 USMC harness? Or..m1967 "H" harness?
    OR...is all above just a matter of unit S.O.P. and supply issues?

Thanks..Semper Fi!
    No rank on the covers, that came years later... some had the heat tansfers on the Jungles.. Pertaining to the "H" harness's.. depends on what was available at the time.. so basically both were used..

A good portion of the hi-speed gear did'nt get to the Marines until after 74 - 75.. unless it was "liberated" by an enterprising Marine...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was in VN in 1972, but not a line company. I was a truck driver with VMA-211. No grunt units were left in VN then (except I/3/9 called a "security element" for the MAG). They did no off-base patrolling, only perimeter security.

We wore the jungle camo utilities and whatever LBE harness was available. We wore rank insignia on the collar. Only officers had rank on their covers. When I was rigged to go off-base, I kept most of my stuff on the bottom hook rings of the flak jacket and wore bandoleers of 20-rnd mags. I had scrounged two of the new 30-rnd mags from the Army - kept one in the rifle and the second in a flak pocket.

We did not have camo utility covers, so we wore the regular green sateen type.

Credits
    Savings
    No rank
    Soft covers either the"cover" or a jungle hat whatever was available.
    Usually just a skivie shirt under the flak jaket
    Whatever LBE we could acquire.
    Definately no squeeks-rattles-shine

Thanks Marines! I appreciate all the response! It's always good to hear from the Marines that served and to hear your personal stories! I can only get so much information for books and photographs.

Like this in 1968, no rank, less was more, helmet and (army flac vest) because it was a dangerous time. During my tour, 10/09/67-10/29/68, 17,807 KIAs

Thanks for posting the photo Bill! Great photo of how Marines wore thier uniform and gear...Thanks MARINE!

Thread Information