Fathers Unit
Create Post

Thread: Fathers Unit

Thumbs up Fathers Unit

Greetings! My father is a Viet Nam Veteran. I am wondering how to find out what Unit my dad was a part of and where all in Viet Nam who was. I know that he was a gunner on one or two different choppers.

Can anyone direct me on the best route to take?

Thank you,
    Mark
    Son of Viet Nam Vet

http://www.popasmoke.com/

Others may have some better suggestions but if it were me I'd give these guys a look.

I have never gone onto their site before today, although the group is very well known and respected, so I have no idea how much help they can or might be.

Good Luck

Well its actually a quite nice site they have there. On their VN forum I saw a number of requests for info on fathers.

So yours will not be the first

Good luck

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

Mark,

My suggestion to you is to start here http://www.archives.gov/ doesn't matter if your father is living or dead you can access his records, if you know basic info like his SSN or SN, dates of his enlistment, dates of his Vietnam tour of duty. This site will send to you a copy of his enlistment information and who he was with in Vietnam, and decorations information.

I have done this myself using the above site with satisfactory satisfaction on two of my relatives brother and uncle also including as far back as the Civil war.

I believe there were only four (4) or Five (5) USMC chopper units in Nam. I believe one unit was near me at An Hoe combat base (air base) in 1970, other guys may fill in this blank or add to it. Anyways, you can also go to your local Veterans Administration Regional Office to seek your fathers info.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfVietnamVet View Post
    Greetings! My father is a Viet Nam Veteran. I am wondering how to find out what Unit my dad was a part of and where all in Viet Nam who was. I know that he was a gunner on one or two different choppers.

Can anyone direct me on the best route to take?

Thank you,
    Mark
    Son of Viet Nam Vet

Thread Information