.mil to .civ back to .mil?
Create Post

.mil to .civ back to .mil?

Hey everyone, I was a former Ssgt and got out to finish my college degree. I originally got out in Jan 2006 after 5 years, and went back to school. I then got recalled back to active duty from the IRR and got promoted to Ssgt, then getting out again in Aug 2008. I graduated with my B.S. in Aug 2009, and have yet to find a job.

If I were to go back into the Corps, will I keep my Ssgt rank? I've heard horror stories about people not being able to keep their rank. Also, I bit myself in the ass by not doing a final fitrep when I was recalled, so I have approx a 2 month gap without one .... how will that affect it as well?

Thanks for all the help in advance,
    Mike

You need to rectify that gap...probably a non-observed. ITs going to mean some groundwork on your end to find our where your former RS/RO are and contact them to let them know what's going on. We had a couple guys in our unit that Lat/mos-moved that had FITREP gaps and it was kind of a big deal for awhile until it got sorted out. Even now one of them (gunny) is considered 'high maintenance' by the command.

I don't know about your rank issue...but it seems like something the Marine Corps would do. However, since were on AD not too long ago, perhaps not (2008 was all the way out, or did you have IRR time left?).

Going back

You will keep your rank. I was out for 9 years and will be re-enlisting at my last grade w/TIG starting again from the date of enlistment. That whole fit rep gap will be a pain to sort out as hussaf stated. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by hussaf View Post
    You need to rectify that gap...probably a non-observed. ITs going to mean some groundwork on your end to find our where your former RS/RO are and contact them to let them know what's going on. We had a couple guys in our unit that Lat/mos-moved that had FITREP gaps and it was kind of a big deal for awhile until it got sorted out. Even now one of them (gunny) is considered 'high maintenance' by the command.

I don't know about your rank issue...but it seems like something the Marine Corps would do. However, since were on AD not too long ago, perhaps not (2008 was all the way out, or did you have IRR time left?).

I was completely out. My last IRR time was on AD after being recalled. The worst part of it all was that we were on a MEU, and our RO was from another squadron. Not too sure what his name was either ..... might be a little tricky ...

Thanks for the info.

To be honest I haven't seen anyone lose rank for something like that. I've heard the rumors that people going from reserve to AD lose rank, but I've never seen or heard of it happening to anyone I know.

That is the worst part, lol. If your are lucky you might be able to find someone who can give you a non-observed.

Quote Originally Posted by hussaf View Post
    To be honest I haven't seen anyone lose rank for something like that. I've heard the rumors that people going from reserve to AD lose rank, but I've never seen or heard of it happening to anyone I know.

That is the worst part, lol. If your are lucky you might be able to find someone who can give you a non-observed.
    How exactly would I go about doing that? Just find an officer that knew me while I was in?

I'd talk to a PSR about that. I'm not sure of all the back door type stuff that they can work for guys trying to get back in. Trust me, your not the first guy who's FITREPs need to be squared when getting back in. Not sure the PSR would be willing to help out with this, but best to ask the question.

Yes, find ANY officer that knew you that you may have worked around while on that deployment.

I've had to do several date gap fillers over the years and thankfully it wasn't to painful since I knew all of the officers in my units.

...well I didn't want to say that b/c I'm not sure how legit that is. But yes, that is what would normally go down in my group.

As long as the officer covering the FITREP is ok with then it's good to go. I had to work this type of issue several times with multiple LtCol's, Maj's, Capt's, etc.

Funny enough, one of the turd Captains that gave me a date gap was the son of the former MARFORPAC CG, needless to say when I contacted the General he didn't respond to my request on his son's whereabouts so I could get a FITREP from him since he EAS'd, lol.

Thread Information