When did metal collar chevrons first see use? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by yanacek View Post
    I'm fairly certain that those metal chevrons are not Marine Corps and are indeed Army. The Army has used both cloth chevrons as mentioned above as well as the metal ones. I think by the time the Marine Corps transitioned to wearing metal chevrons on their collar, the crossed rifles had also been added.
    Shame on you!! I was promoted to PFC, 6/01/56, and wore metal chevrons. My Cpl and Sgt chevrons were also metal - - and - - had no crossed rifles. Crossed rifles were not even announced until 10/58 with implementation to the new structures to be completed by 12/31/61. I do believe the implementation was completed prior to that.

Are Army chevrons a different size? I've never paid that close attention before...

Those particular chevrons shown are in fact, army. However, there is documented evidence that Marines wore metal chevrons (many locally made) starting as early as the Korean war. While they might not have been authorized, they are out there (I have a few sets, too).

Here are some Post Korean (pre crossed rifles) Cpl's...

Sgt, being worn on a post Korea era cover:

MSgt:

Gunny (which has regular clutchbacks, these are scarce) and 1stSgt

Finally, a detail of the differences in pins. The one on the left is for the screwback style pin, the right is the more familiar 'clutch' style:

I wore metal chevrons in 56 and no crossed rifles.

The metal chevrons back then were made of brass. We had to use a liquid called M-Nue to keep them black. Came in a little bottle like finger nail polish.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm some what of a boot but we had chevrons made of brass as well. We used either flat black spray paint or em-nu to square away the chips or wear. Mess duty we took a chevron and scrubbed all the paint off with brasso and a piece of wool blanket. Shine them right up and put em on your collar of your ice cream suit.

The plastic ones were issued by supply when you were promoted but they were a real bear to plug into your collar.

I always wore metal ones, but I tried plastic ones once when I was a Lance and they broke while trying to pin them in my collar so I **** canned them.

The crossed rifles were added to the strips when LCpl was added to the ranks.Metal strips were used starting around 1955

I, too, used metal chevrons. Remember when the plastic ones came out, first issued through Supply (and eventually replaced the metal ones, usually in the lower ranks first), and everyone thought "Great!...No more MNu!". Until we tried pinning them through the blouses of our cammies...and they started snapping.

Unless you already had holes, they just didn't work. Most of us went back to the metal ones....

I went through boot camp in '59 and everyone wore metal chevrons. The cross rifles were added about the same time but the ones without the rifles were widely used.

Check out the my misc photo albumn in my proifile & you will see my drill instructor in pic 4 giving me rifle instructions, look at his collor.

picture4

^ I guess that settles it then lol

Nice

Thread Information