Deciding On A Branch
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Deciding On A Branch

To start off, I'll make sure you all know my situation. I will be graduating high school a year early, and will barely be 17 upon graduation. Already spoken with my parents, and as long as I have a plan for myself, they will sign the contract. I currently run a 300 PFT, and train Boxing/BJJ on a regular basis along with lifting 6 days a week. In addition to my PFT score, I scored a 92 on a practice ASVAB, and currently hold a 3.75 GPA. The thing is, I want infantry. I can't stand sitting behind a desk, I'm a very active person.

Due to all this, I have always felt that the Corps was for me. I have always wanted to be combat arms, however my grandfather has recently been talking to me more about the Air Force. He retired as a Colonel after 22 years and 2 tours in Vietnam, so he does not know much of the enlisted side. From researching the Air Force, the challenge of being a Pararescueman has become very appealing to me.

I am not a Ricky Recon by any means, I have never even played Call of Duty, but a family friend began speaking to me about Recon. With my fitness and ASVAB scores, it seems as though I could do either service. I am just trying to decide, does anyone have thoughts on this?

It is not allowing me to edit, but I would like to thank all Marines in advance. A friend of mine recently lost a family member, I respect those who serve more everyday.

You should play Call of Duty before you decide that you want to be Recon, they are essentially the same.

You guys get caught up in ASVAB scores to often. I thought about mine once, when I picked my job option. After that it was forgotten never to play a role again as far as I could tell. Point is this, do what the hell you want. If you want Infantry then go for it. If you hate sitting behind a desk then why worry about what your score is anyway. Also, don't think that just because you want to try Recon or Para-rescue or whatever that you will make it or even get a chance. They have more people trying to get in than they need. It's not like you just show up and pass all the hard stuff and they let you in. You may not even get a chance no matter how bad ass you are.

Quote Originally Posted by ritter View Post
    You should play Call of Duty before you decide that you want to be Recon, they are essentially the same.
    HAHAHA... that was some funny ****.

Quote Originally Posted by ritter View Post
    Bwahahhahahaha

Sergeant, from reading threads on here, if you have a 03xx UZ contract, aren't you guaranteed a shot at Recon?

Answer this before I answer you. What do you want to do when you get out?

Sergeant, I would like to make a career out of the military. My great grandfather did it, grandfather did it, and my father decided it wasn't for him. However, I have always been drawn to the military. But if I had to decide another career, it would be along the lines of personal training. Fitness is a huge thing in my life, and while it can be difficult to make money in it, it can also be very rewarding.

I always heard that a UZ option was kind of a recruiting gimmick to get the Rambo's to sign quick. I can't confirm it was just what I heard. Sounds like the Corps though.

There are 2 types of people in this world....Marines, and people who WANT to be Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
    Sergeant, I would like to make a career out of the military. My great grandfather did it, grandfather did it, and my father decided it wasn't for him. However, I have always been drawn to the military. But if I had to decide another career, it would be along the lines of personal training. Fitness is a huge thing in my life, and while it can be difficult to make money in it, it can also be very rewarding.
    If your going in to make a career out of it then you are joining for a good reason. Even if you don't like it at least you went in with a good attitude. I went in to get my four and get out, that was a mistake. Of course this is just my opinion.

Well then ask yourself what YOU really want to do. If you want to rescue downed pilots and get great medical skills go Para-Rescue. If you want to snoop and poop, take pictures of the enemy, do Recon missions go Recon. If you want the best paying enlisted job, try your luck with BUD/s and become a SEAL. They get a sh*t load of Special Duty pay ( jump pay, dive pay, demo pay, hazardous duty pay, etc ). Its all about what you want, and what you think your ready for.

Quote Originally Posted by eazyrider View Post
    If your going in to make a career out of it then you are joining for a good reason. Even if you don't like it at least you went in with a good attitude. I went in to get my four and get out, that was a mistake. Of course this is just my opinion.
    I appreciate that, Sergeant. But you stated earlier that from what you have heard, the UZ contract is a way to hook people?

This talk about Grandpa's and thinking these young lads know whats going on remind me about this song. Boys, and Marines here ya go, everything is irrelevent haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtaqSbj9-kw

Thread Information