Christianity pure and simple - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Michael, I wasnt referring to you. Im asking those who beleive there is no God.
    there are many atheists in foxholes, bro

some people cry out for god because social conditioning has taught them, not because they believe in it. more importantly, you believe you know where you're going. if that's good enough for you then cool, but no one knows if we're going anywhere at all after death or if we simply cease to exist. right now there's no real evidence - and I'm talking actual empirical data, not passages from the bible - to suggest anything but the latter

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Michael, I wasnt referring to you. Im asking those who beleive there is no God.
    I am an Atheist. There is no God in Heaven, not for me. I believe I'm going for a very long and very well earned nap when I die. Maybe then I can get some nightmare-free sleep for once in a Blue Moon.

~Dan

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    You tell them, tough guy, got the universe figured out at the ripe old age of 23. Laughable. Yet sad.

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    HardJedi's two whole years of theology. Makes him kind of an authority as to what happened thousands of years before he himself even came into existence. Pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by PJones64 View Post
    HardJedi's two whole years of theology. Makes him kind of an authority as to what happened thousands of years before he himself even came into existence. Pitiful.
    This is taken from an article by Ricky Garvais in the WSJ...."to the Christians’ God by the way, it’s just as bad to believe in the wrong God as no God at all. The idea of other Gods is of course ridiculous to Christians. Supernatural poppycock. As if there was ever a Zeus; stupid, ancient, unenlightened superstition. And even if there are other Gods (which of course there aren’t) then the Christians’ God is the best. Hardest, smartest… just better. He would laugh at Zeus and call him a Greek bender."

Who cares about what happened thousands of years since Jesus started his religion? There were hundreds of other religions before 0000AD that someone in that time could have made in the same defense of their Zeus. Christianity is just an off-shoot from Judaism......just like Islam. Religion has caused more harm to the world (from my viewpoint) then good. Christianity, Judaism, Islam and Hinduism=all the same.

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    Thank you so much for sharing that with us

Quote Originally Posted by PJones64 View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing that with us
    Awww, acting like the Christ you hold so dear with your sarcastic reply.

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    You're a little smarter than that. Act like it.

Credits
    Savings

Internet Scholars.............

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    Reading all this, I can't help but be reminded that there are a lot of friendly atheists, but for the most part they tend to be of a very superior attitude, and most unfriendly toward folks who are believers. They also tend to see the world only according to their own viewpoint. A big big mistake. Considering the fact that they have not been on the earth all that many years, it is amazing they are so knowledgeable about the vast universe. They have it all figured out.

How can someone in their 20s or 30s have it all figured out? From books? Magazine articles? School?

Where do they get all their knowledge? It's pretty amazing, and also very impressive.

Its the internet Dave ! It has everything some one 16-39 needs to know ! the rest of us have to learn OJT

Credits
    Savings

Father of Lies................

I know, Gary--what fascinates me, though, is why atheists even discuss God, since, for them, He presumably does not even exist. And they feel compelled to talk about this incessantly.
    But here's the interesting part. No one ever talks about a square triangle, because there is no such thing. So why would an atheist talk about God? If He does not even exist, isn't it like talking about a square triangle?
    And they're so defensive about it. If I did not believe in God, you would not see me talking about the subject on any forum at all.
    But atheists, skeptics, unbelievers are drawn to the subject like a moth to a flame.
    Interesting.

They are about their fathers business ! But they don't know it because they don't believe he exists either !

I know, Gary--what fascinates me, though, is why atheists even discuss God, since, for them, He presumably does not even exist. And they feel compelled to talk about this incessantly.
    But here's the interesting part. No one ever talks about a square triangle, because there is no such thing. So why would an atheist talk about God? If He does not even exist, isn't it like talking about a square triangle?
    And they're so defensive about it. If I did not believe in God, you would not see me talking about the subject on any forum at all.
    But atheists, skeptics, unbelievers are drawn to the subject like a moth to a flame.
    Interesting.
    I only discuss it when it's brought up by someone else. But I'll take any opportunity to bring someone into the light of reason and logic.

Credits
    Savings
    John MacArthur

Grace to You

JESUS IS LORD(1 Corinthians 12:3) is the distinguishing article of Christianity and marks the essential confession of faith (Romans 10:9). Jesus proclaimed it to His disciples, His enemies, and His casual inquirers alike – and He refused to tone down its implications.

The expression “Lord speaks of ownership, while “Master/Lord” (despotes) denotes an unquestionable right to command (John 13:13; Jude 4). Both words describe a master with absolute dominion over someone else. That explains Jesus’ incredulity at the practice of those who paid homage to Him with their lips but not with their lives: “Why do you call Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?” (Luke 6:46).

Doulos frequently describes what it means to be a true Christian: “He who was called while free, is Christ’s slave [doulos]. You were bought with a price” (1 Corinthians 7:22-23). It describes the lowest, abject bond slave; his service is not a matter of choice.

A Misleading Translation

Unfortunately, readers of the English Bible have long been shielded from the full force of doulos because of an ages-old tendency to translate it as servant” or “bond-servant.” This tendency is regrettable, since service and slavery are not the same thing. “No one can be a slave to two masters” (Matthew 6:24) makes better sense than “No one can serve two masters.” An employee with two jobs could indeed serve two masters; but a slave could not. Scripture repeatedly calls Christians “slaves” (1 Corinthians 6:19-20), purchased for God (Revelation 5:9). This is the very essence of what it means to be a Christian (Romans 14:7-9).

A Revolting Concept

Not only is slave a word loaded with negative connotations, but our generation is also fixated on the concepts of freedom, fulfillment, and autonomy. Saving faith and Christian discipleship have been reduced to the cliché “a personal relationship with Jesus.” It’s hard to imagine a more disastrous twisting of what it means to be a Christian. Many people (including Judas and Satan) had some kind of “personal relationship” with Jesus during His earthly ministry without submitting to Him as Lord. But His only true friends were those who did what He said (John 15:14).

A Difficult Truth

Slavery to Christ is not a minor or secondary feature of true discipleship. It is exactly how Jesus Himself defined the “personal relationship” He must have with every true follower (John 12:26; 15:20). In fact, the fundamental aspects of slavery are the very features of redemption. We are chosen (Ephesians 1:4-5; 1 Peter 1:2; 2:9); bought (1 Corinthians 6:20; 7:23); owned (Romans 14:7-9; 1 Corinthians 6:19); subject to His will and control (Acts 5:29; Philippians 2:5-8); called to account (Romans 14:12); evaluated (2 Corinthians 5:10); and either chastened or rewarded by Him (1 Corinthians 3:14; Hebrews 12:5-11). Those are all essential components of slavery.

A Divine Introduction

Jesus introduced the NT slave metaphor. He frequently drew a direct connection between slavery and discipleship (Matthew 10:24-25). His words reflect what every true disciple should hope to hear at the end of life: “Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master” (Matthew 25:21).

Jesus always described true discipleship in such terms, with no effort to adjust the message to make it sound appealing to worldly-minded sinners. He never muted what it would cost to follow Him. Would-be disciples who tried to dictate different terms were always turned away (Luke 9:59-62).

Slaves Who Are Friends

Perhaps the key passage on Jesus’ demand for implicit obedience is one already alluded to-John 15:14-15: “You are My friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you.”

The fundamental principle here is obedience. Jesus was not suggesting that His favor could be earned through service. Rather, He was saying that obedience is a singular proof that someone is His friend. Implicit obedience to His commandments is the natural fruit of genuine love for Him-the telltale mark of authentic, saving faith.

Why, then, does He say, “No longer do I call you slaves…I have called you friends” (v. 15)? Is He expressly telling them their relationship with Him was now a familiar, personal camaraderie between colleagues, rather than a master-slave relationship governed by authority and submission?

Not at all. The apostles were still His slaves, because that’s precisely what they were. He was simply saying they were His friends as well as His slaves. “The slave,” He explains, “does not know what his master is doing.” A slave isn’t owed any explanation or rationale. But Jesus had kept nothing secret from His disciples: “all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you” (v. 15). They were therefore much more than mere slaves to Him. They were His friends as well, privy to His thoughts and purposes (cf. 1 Corinthians 2:16).

Slavery and True Liberty

So understood correctly, the gospel is an invitation to slavery. On the one hand, the gospel is a proclamation of freedom to sin’s captives and liberty to people who are broken by the bondage of sin’s power over them. On the other hand, it is a summons to a whole different kind of slavery: “Having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness” (Romans 6:18; cf. 1 Peter 2:16).

Both sides of the equation are vital. There is a glorious freedom in being the slaves of Christ (John 8:36), but it means the end of human autonomy for the true follower of Christ. In other words, everyone serves some master. We are all enslaved in one way or the other (Romans 6:16-21).

There is no legitimate way to adjust the message in order to make it sound appealing to people who admire Jesus but aren’t prepared to serve Him. Jesus didn’t seek admirers; He was calling followers-not casual followers, but slaves. Remove that spirit of submission, and the most profound kind of “admiration” for Christ is a spiritual fraud that has nothing to do with true faith.

Original publication date: July 8, 2009
    http://www.crosswalk.com/spirituallife/11605719/page0/

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    AMEN

Thread Information