Spotting a phony, wanabe Marine - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn2 View Post
    "The guys who wash out of BUDS or flight school who know just enough to fool a civilian."

I am not saying this is wrong. But it certainly is not always right.

IMO supported by no facts, no data, and no link, I think it is more often the guys who never tried. Never tried for the service, never tried for that special to them mos, never tried to get into combat, never tried to whatever.

People who try and fail IMO have a better grip on things. They realize they were unlucky and got hurt, they realize there are some things in life you just can't do. But they know they tried.

For me its more likely the guy who only thought of trying. Or who never thought of trying that becomes the poser.

And then years later they are telling themselves or their brother sitting in the back of a cab----" I could have been a contender. I could have been somebody"

They think they could have because they never ran into the wall and knocked on their azz while trying.

Over time I could have done that slips into I did that.
    Doc

You make some valid points. Especially the last line!.

Nice ref to Terry Malloy BTW.

Dan

Lynn2 I wish I had seen your message earlier. I deleted that penis enlarger e-mail since I obviously don't need such a thing! I will stop by my secret drop box at the street corner and see if I have any new self destructing messages.

I was in an American Legion Post and met a guy who said he had been in the Corps and did two tours in the 'Nam. I asked him where he was and he said "I Corps".
    I said, "We were all in I Corps. Where abouts ?"
    He said "HUGH" .... obviously meaning Hue !
    I shook my head, and walked away ......

Jarhead6568, that guy not only was not in country, if he does not know how to pronounce Hue he was not a Marine either. He is a fake Marine and a fake VN vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Palmer View Post
    (joke)
    I was in a black ops once , anyway I think that was her name.

That wasn`t black ops, that was Oprah.

Roger that June .... I'm just so F'ing tired of calling out these phonies. When I was in the crotch, probably about 1% or less were in "Recon" ..... as time goes by it seems 75% of the people claiming to be former Jarheads say they were in Recon !
    There's always a few key questions to ask to know you're talking to a poser.
    7.82 gear, brown side out, green side out, M-Nu, stacking swivel, and on and on and on .....

Quote Originally Posted by June 1975 View Post
    Jarhead6568, that guy not only was not in country, if he does not know how to pronounce Hue he was not a Marine either. He is a fake Marine and a fake VN vet.

You have got to be a bit careful with some of those older VN guys. Some have not aged well. Some are a bit off. Some see a great thick fog instead of a tour.

A few years back I saw this really sad thread started on a Missing Marine sub-Forum. "Does anyone know me ?" was the title.

He had no idea what unit he had been apart of for those long months. He knew it was Recon. But 1st or 3rd he was somewhat confused. He did not remember any of the Marines he had served with. He claimed he had forgotten darn near everything. Poser right?

He did though remember that he had a Doc named Moe that liked Bob Dylan at some point early on.

I knew exactly what he was talking about. He had been in 1st Recon in the states and when they came over they were at that point or soon after made a line company within 3rdRecon and sent to PhuBai.

And I could tell him enough about that Corpsman of his to fill a small book.

No doubt in my mind he was the real deal. But 40+ years later he could no longer remember what unit he had served with and had forgot every name of his co-workers except for the nick name of one Corpsman.

This VN combat vet would have failed any and every test anyone would throw at him as far as trying to figure out if he was the real deal or not.

Just because it looks like something does not mean that it is.

Omg!!!

Yep Big Al this is an issue for me.

I have in fact spent the last 40 years doing black ops missions, for an agency I can't talk about since they would have to kill me, while skydiving in and killing people with nothing but piano wire.

So you can see why I hate posers.

Besides I can't prove this if I wanted to since all my records were destroyed in the great flood that followed the great fire that destroyed all the secret assassin records back in the year (sorry opsec as far as the actual year)
    YOU MUST HAVE SERVED WITH MY NOW DECE3ACED, SON-IN-LAW!! Accordong to his story, He was the niper, who killed an NVA General, with one round, from three kilometers away.He was a Navy Seal, in command of a platoon of Marines at the time. Maybe you were his spotter?? S/F!!! Ken

"Maybe you were his spotter??"

No I was not. The lying pos is just taking credit for my shot.

One heck of a shot it was. Longest on record by far for a 12 gage. :-)

Wow!!!

"Maybe you were his spotter??"

No I was not. The lying pos is just taking credit for my shot.

One heck of a shot it was. Longest on record by far for a 12 gage. :-)
    Lost my electric for a minute. Where was I?? Oh1 Yeah, that was with a 45% upslope, and an 60mph cross-wind right?? Or was that the other guy I was talking to?? S/F!!! Ken

Last edited by kenrobg30; 07-16-10 at 02:29 PM. Reason: missed the key

Quote Originally Posted by tangovictor87 View Post
    You can almost instantly spot a poser because they're never just regular servicemen. They are "Special Forces" with purple hearts and a ribbon stack Chesty would be jealous of....
    Very much so.

When a real Marine wants to brag, no matter his or her MOS, they say "I'm a United States Marine.".

Past or present, Recon or HQ duty; all a Marine needs do to show off is be himself or herself.

The Globe Anchor and Eagle actually does show.

Quote Originally Posted by hillbillyjar View Post
    Very much so.

When a real Marine wants to brag, no matter his or her MOS, they say "I'm a United States Marine.".

Past or present, Recon or HQ duty; all a Marine needs do to show off is be himself or herself.

, Semper Fidelis.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbillyjar View Post
    Very much so.

That's the way I see it these days.

Thread Information