Medical DQ?
Create Post

Thread: Medical DQ?

Medical DQ?

When I was born, there was a hole in my lung. I was taken to another hospital for emergency surgery. For several years afterwards I had to take medicine every night through a breathing like machine. Even while I was on medicine, it never stopped me from physicall activity. I have gone to the limits and have never had any respiratory problems as far as I am concerned. But I am not a doctor. I am wondering if it will DQ me from enlisting. Any questions, comments, or concerns are welcome.

Best Regards,
    -devin0116

We're not doctors from MEPS. The only way you're going to find out the answers to your questions, is to talk with a recruiter.

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission
    Lungs, chest wall, pleura, and mediastinum
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...ry/a/lungs.htm

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That's some Big Stuff to go through so Young.
    Glad you Recovered.

Good Luck and Good Health to you Always........

I have people teling me to bring it up to my recruiter, and others saying dont mention it. I don't know what to do, I have always wanted to be a Marine and if this doesn't work out theres nothing else I really want to do.

No matter anyone tells you to do.......DO NOT LIE to your recruiter and DO NOT LIE to the doctors at MEPS....plain and simple.
    You do not want to be charged with fraudulent enlistment.

Someone I know is going to MEPS tom. and said he'll try to get an answer out of them. I know theyt can only make a definite answer after examining me, but at least if they tell him it will tell me if its a PDQ or not.

The only way to know FOR SURE is to go to the recruiter and do the MEPS process. It's all just talk until then. BUT, at least you'll know for sure.

I know I am kinda beating a dead horse here but I know and can prove that it doesn't effect me physically because I Scuba Dive and have been down to about 120 ft. Just felt that I should throw that out there and it should give me a better chance right?

Quote Originally Posted by devin0116 View Post
    Just felt that I should throw that out there and it should give me a better chance right?
    Not really. They don't really care what you can or can't do in the civilian world regardless of your medical condition. What matters to them is what's in the DoD's regulations regarding medical issues upon enlistment. If your medical records show that you're not affected by this that's one thing but simply telling them that you scuba dive or do other things doesn't mean a thing to them.

Do not, under any circumstances, try to withhold this information from your recruiter. I highly doubt any of your friends that told you not to tell anyone know what it's like to go through recruit training and if there are some that do, I highly doubt they're qualified to give medical advice regarding whether or not your condition will be exacerbated by the stresses of boot camp.

The only time I have ever been to the hospital was for this and that was when I was born. I have never even needed to see a doctor about it since it was healed from medicine when I was around 5. I am pretty sure you are no medical proffesional, and if you are I apologize, but does that seem sufficient enough?

I'm not a medical professional but more importantly I'm not one of the medical professionals at MEPS that will ultimately make the decision. A civilian physician can say you're perfectly healthy to do anything you want to do but the military's regulations for enlistment are much more stringent than you'd find at a private practice.

The best thing to do is to get all relevant medical documents - even if you haven't been back to a doctor since you were five - and bring them to your recruiter. He will then decide if it's worth bringing it up the chain. He may or may not suggest seeing a civilian doctor to get a clean bill of health to pass along to MEPS but do not do this unless he recommends it.

Whatever you do, be honest and open with your recruiter. Understand that right now the Marine Corps is pretty full. Don't get discouraged if it doesn't go through this time.

Fatty nailed it.

Thread Information