0331 questions
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 0331 questions

0331 questions

Hey whats up
    I recently enlisted in the Marines Reserve and the Liason Officer said my MOS was 0331 Machinegunner. My question is how is this MOS compared to 0311. Is the training bout the same or is it tougher. The reason Im asking is because i got two former Marines as friends that spent two tours in Fallujah and they said that 0331 sucks and is the most dangerous job and why did I take that. I told them I put in for 0311 but they gave me 0331. I not discouraged at all im actually excited about it. Just wanted to et some more input form other Marines that have had this job.

Thanks
    Matthew Benard
    ship date: 102607 P.I. MCRD

Who were your friends with and why would they say a 0331 is more dangerous then a 0311?

As an 0331 you focus on support by fire positions to supress the enemy while the 11's assault the objective. Harder? No. But for your work up as a boot you will have to lug the 240 everywhere you go.

I can tell you that the training for the 31s is pretty damn intense. I have 1 more week here at SOI West until I graduate as a 31.

For one, the weapon systems you work with, the 240, .50 cal and MK19, go with you everywhere you go, which means you are humping it. There are appreciation runs for both the 240 and 50 cal (basically a pft run in Flak Jacket, main hike pack and the weapon); PT is almost everyday for us. Being in good physical shape is a must: 31s (even in training) have a lot of pride, so we DO NOT allow ourselves to be weak---it's usually a pretty fierce competition to see who gets to carry the .50 when we do range movements.

Guns up!

31 love.

Quote Originally Posted by Endurance89 View Post
    I can tell you that the training for the 31s is pretty damn intense. I have 1 more week here at SOI West until I graduate as a 31.

For one, the weapon systems you work with, the 240, .50 cal and MK19, go with you everywhere you go, which means you are humping it. There are appreciation runs for both the 240 and 50 cal (basically a pft run in Flak Jacket, main hike pack and the weapon); PT is almost everyday for us. Being in good physical shape is a must: 31s (even in training) have a lot of pride, so we DO NOT allow ourselves to be weak---it's usually a pretty fierce competition to see who gets to carry the .50 when we do range movements.

Guns up!

31 love.
    Before you go and start telling someone how an MOS is wait until you have been in fleet. That goes for any MOS. ITB is just the basics and your training in fleet is totally different.

Hmmm, we're supposed to be getting another boot drop here soon.....

Any idea where you're going endurance? You should be pleasantly surprised when you hit the fleet..... hahah

I wasn't telling him about the MOS, just about the training that I am currently going through.

As far as where I am going, we should find out this week, but the rumor is 3/5 or somewhere in 1st. Get to stay in Pendleton, it appears

Endurance what company are you in?

Anyone heading to 2/7 or just get there? Were suppose to have a HUGE boot drop when we get back.

3/5 should be T/O. They were moving a bunch of Marines there before I left. I know 2/5 is really hurting and we are starting our work up for deployment which means now is the time for us to get the boots.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcgunrock View Post
    3/5 should be T/O. They were moving a bunch of Marines there before I left. I know 2/5 is really hurting and we are starting our work up for deployment which means now is the time for us to get the boots.
    Got my orders. Headed to 2/5 this wednesday.

Graduating Alphatraz on wednesday.

Did everyone go to 2/5 or did some get orders to a different unit?

Half to 2/5. other half to 2/8. One unlucky bastard is going to 3/4 all by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Endurance89 View Post
    Half to 2/5. other half to 2/8. One unlucky bastard is going to 3/4 all by himself.
    Whole new chain of command over there at 2/5 since I left. I guess I will find out how it is when I get back from Afghan. The guy going to 3/4 will get the best training out of anybody because the best ranges are in 29 Palms.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcgunrock View Post
    Whole new chain of command over there at 2/5 since I left. I guess I will find out how it is when I get back from Afghan. The guy going to 3/4 will get the best training out of anybody because the best ranges are in 29 Palms.
    Hahaha Ill agree with you on the best ranges. But 400 and 410 still suck monkey nuts until you get done.

Thread Information