Questions
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions

Questions

I have a couple questions that i hope you marines can answer.
    1.My mother has told me that i cant not survive on a marines pay(i don't want to join because of the money) Is this true did you have money trouble while in the service?
    2.My college is already paid for by the military because of my father passing away while in the service.I dont think college is for me. Would it help me to go to college before i enlisted in the marines?
    3.I am a pretty big kid. im 6'5 220. The question is i wear a size 17. Its hard enough just find shoes my size. Will i still be able to join if i have to wear size17?
    4.Can you choose what you want to do in the marines or is it chosen for you?

Quote Originally Posted by grefsrud View Post
    I have a couple questions that i hope you marines can answer.
    1.My mother has told me that i cant not survive on a marines pay(i don't want to join because of the money) Is this true did you have money trouble while in the service?
    2.My college is already paid for by the military because of my father passing away while in the service.I dont think college is for me. Would it help me to go to college before i enlisted in the marines?
    3.I am a pretty big kid. im 6'5 220. The question is i wear a size 17. Its hard enough just find shoes my size. Will i still be able to join if i have to wear size17?
    4.Can you choose what you want to do in the marines or is it chosen for you?
    No
    YES
    YES
    YES,YES
    Your PROFILE needs work..........NOW

And when using the word Marines, it will be capitalized at all times. You may also want to read the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums too.

Ditto to what ecfree stated... as for finances, it is up to you to be responsible enough to make it. You will not get rich, but you will have plenty.

Sniped, she got you with the capitalization, haha

Last edited by temarti; 06-10-10 at 08:47 PM. Reason: too late

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    grefsrud,

If you are a poolee you need to put a ship date and recruiter information in your profile.

If you don't either one of these you are a Marine friend.

I had a Marine in Quantico,Virginia late 70's...that was so tall and was in standards for weight...but.... a great big boy....the Marine Corps had to make him special uniforms and boots....and he had a single rack that was made for him because of his size...they shipped his rack from duty station to duty station and made his uniforms and shoes,boots in Albany,GA.....

So it can be done....but you are not that big they should find something for you to wear....if and when you go to boot camp.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBlooper
    grefsrud,
    If you are a poolee you need to put a ship date and recruiter information in your profile.
    Only poolees has shipdates. No shipdate, then you're a Marine Friend.

You may also want to read the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums too.

Only poolees has shipdates. No shipdate, then you're a Marine Friend.
    That is what Phantom said

sorry for that
    i mailed an admin so it can be changed
    working on my profile now

Quote Originally Posted by temarti View Post
    That is what Phantom said
    Yeah, I know. I got busy and couldn't edit it after the 5 minute rule. My apologies for the repeat Phantom.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your mother may not know it, but all of the branches of service pay the same for each pay grade.

Also, the Corps stopped paying Privates only $23/month during World War II. I made a whopping $143/month in 1971. Now Privates make $1,447/month, way more than I made as a Sergeant.

Plus, the Marine Corps gives you all the ammo you need too. Bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by grefsrud View Post
    240,000 Active duty Marines and we are all collecting welfare. Lol. The people who have financial trouble are the ones that don't know how to manage money.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    From Lcpl to Sgt I banked $400 a month. Still have money in the bank today. It wasn't until Cpl that my base pay was over $1,000 a month before taxes. You can easilly capitalize on your earnings by saving.

If you want to be a rockefellar then you came to the wrong place.

To try to answer the rest of your questions:

1. It's all about money management. No worries about food, shelter, etc. unless you live off base or chose not to eat in the chow hall.
    2. Your choice on the college route. Even though you think college is not for you, you may regret not taking full advantage of the opportunity of a college education. Will it help you enlist - you may get PFC out of bootcamp and it shows initiative, drive, etc. But other than that, no, unless you want to go the officer route.
    3. Nothing to worry about as previously stated. Your uniforms will be provided.
    4. It all depends on how you score on the ASVAB. The higher the score, the more MOS opportunities are available to you; however, it is still based on the needs of the Corps. But yes, you have the opportunity to chose for the most part.

If you need something, the Marine Corps will issue it to you. If you don't need it, that's what your paycheck goes to. So no, you shouldn't have money problems. (And that of course is if you're single, which I'm assuming you are since you're still listening to your mom).

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    If you need something, the Marine Corps will issue it to you.

And that includes a wife lol

Thread Information