Another great Marine - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandrel View Post
    They don't make em like that anymore

Actually I have no doubt that they still do.

They just call them USMC Major (retired) or LtCol if they are real lucky.

If yall look up a book series by W.E.B Griffin called "The Corps" the first few follow the raiders. overall its historical fiction but very good reading. 10 books in all first one is in china before the war and the start of the war by about the second or third the main character is in the raiders. again historical fiction so it does follow the real events and all but with a fictional character as far as i know

He wastaught in boot camp in the late 50's not always as a great man but a great Marine non the less. No on the favorite list of many higher ups.

W.e.b. Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by WXSgt View Post
    If yall look up a book series by W.E.B Griffin called "The Corps" the first few follow the raiders. overall its historical fiction but very good reading. 10 books in all first one is in china before the war and the start of the war by about the second or third the main character is in the raiders. again historical fiction so it does follow the real events and all but with a fictional character as far as i know
    Gung Ho, WXSgt, I got the impression, from reading Mr. Griffins books, and I mean, almost everything he wrote, that he leans very strongly toward the republican, conservative side. He treated all of his characters fairly, no matter their Political preferences. I know you didn't mention Politics, Sgt. Thank you !! S/F !!! Ken

Would recommend W.E.B. reading he always wrights and speakes very well of the Marines.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn2 View Post
    With time we can all look better.

I have no doubt that Carlson was seen as a giant pain in the azz when he was on AD and there was much happiness at HQMC when he was gone.

Friend of a President

Friend of a liberal President.

Liberal Presidents son as his XO

Went around the chain of command to get a USMC unit created that the Corps did not want.

The dreaded elite within an elite.

Friend of the Commies.

A different view of enlisted officer relations.

Taking Gung Ho very seriously. Not the buzz word it later became. It meant something else entirely when he used it.

A maverick. Organizations by definition do not want mavericks in their midst. They want company men they can depend on.

A writer and a thinker (not always career enhancing under the best circumstances)

No doubt an interesting man. I am shocked he got his star. Unless that was a FDR thing or a political thing.

Doc

You make some valid points. Having Jimmy Roosevelt as your XO certainly didn't hurt his cause as far as his starting the Raiders. And I did read that Raiders themselves were indeed looked upon as an elite, not needed by an all ready elite force.

When Carlson was in China he was an observer of the Third Chinese Root Army. From this group he picked up many of his tactics that would be used in the Raiders

And yes "Gung Ho" has been transformed over the years. It's original "work together in harmony" was adopted by the rest of the Corps after the Makin Raid and of course after the war found it's way into the civilian vernacular. I thinks that's why the Corps stopped using it, it was too "civilian"

Thanks for the input. Always enjoy your views and the great work you did on "The Pacific" thread.

Dan

http://www.amazon.com/Once-Legend-Ed...tt_at_ep_dpt_2

A bit on topic here. I have not read this yet. It is on my to read list. I have read Hoffmans book "Chesty". It is IMO a very good book. And a serious look at Pullers career and life. You will never be able to look at that Davis infomercial book again in the same light.

Hoffman is a real pro. Good writer, infantry officer, historian.

I'd say the book in the link is a good choice if you are interested in the Raiders.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you! I haven't read either book but will order both today.

Quote Originally Posted by MOS1310 View Post
    Thank you! I haven't read either book but will order both today.

http://www.amazon.com/Chesty-Story-L...m_cr_pr_sims_t

Dan, if I did not have so many books already on my to read list I would start this one all over again.

It may be as good a bio as I have ever read.

If anyone has any real interest in Chesty (the man) as opposed to Chesty (the legend) this is a must read.

Hoffman is a real pro.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn2 View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Chesty-Story-L...m_cr_pr_sims_t

Dan, if I did not have so many books already on my to read list I would start this one all over again.

It may be as good a bio as I have ever read.

If anyone has any real interest in Chesty (the man) as opposed to Chesty (the legend) this is a must read.

Hoffman is a real pro.
    Doc

I ordered both of Hoffman's books today "Chesty" and "Iron Mike". Should be here by Tuesday. Thanks once again for the tip

Have you ever read any of Eric Hammels books regarding the Canal?

You might enjoy, very detailed

Quote Originally Posted by kenrobg30 View Post
    Gung Ho, WXSgt, I got the impression, from reading Mr. Griffins books, and I mean, almost everything he wrote, that he leans very strongly toward the republican, conservative side. He treated all of his characters fairly, no matter their Political preferences. I know you didn't mention Politics, Sgt. Thank you !! S/F !!! Ken

you know what? I never read into the politics just read it. I just bought the first 3 books in hardbound edition so I'll be rereading it lol. I had the entire series before i left japan a few years ago but had to mail some stuff back to the states and between the mail and my parents i dont know who lost them lol. but i do have extra copies of some of the books if anyone wants them.

W.e.b. Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by WXSgt View Post
    you know what? I never read into the politics just read it. I just bought the first 3 books in hardbound edition so I'll be rereading it lol. I had the entire series before i left japan a few years ago but had to mail some stuff back to the states and between the mail and my parents i dont know who lost them lol. but i do have extra copies of some of the books if anyone wants them.
    I know that feeling, about rereading. I keep a large low box, under my bed with most of my favorite books in it. Griffin, and ANNE McCAFFREY, Keep it full. I,ve worn out a lot of their books, and still hunger for more. I've read almost every book the those two authors have ever written. It's nice to see another book fanatic on the site. S/F !!! Ken

Credits
    Savings

Favor

Quote Originally Posted by kenrobg30 View Post
    I know that feeling, about rereading. I keep a large low box, under my bed with most of my favorite books in it. Griffin, and ANNE McCAFFREY, Keep it full. I,ve worn out a lot of their books, and still hunger for more. I've read almost every book the those two authors have ever written. It's nice to see another book fanatic on the site. S/F !!! Ken
    Ken

I read the whole The Corps series as well. Great read and I'm not much for fiction. I was stationed in Pensacola '78-'79 and I'm trying to recall the name of the old hotel, it was mentioned several times. It's where Pick Pickering and Dick Stegler (sp?) stayed while going through Primary. If you have the time, could you look in the rear of perhaps the last book and tell me the name. I think Griffin mentions it was torn down in the early 2000's

Thanks

Dan

Now you've done it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by MOS1310 View Post
    Ken

I read the whole The Corps series as well. Great read and I'm not much for fiction. I was stationed in Pensacola '78-'79 and I'm trying to recall the name of the old hotel, it was mentioned several times. It's where Pick Pickering and Dick Stegler (sp?) stayed while going through Primary. If you have the time, could you look in the rear of perhaps the last book and tell me the name. I think Griffin mentions it was torn down in the early 2000's

Thanks

Dan
    Now you've made me dig out book one, Dan. My memory fails me at the most inconvienent times !! Boop one, if the THE CORPS, is right5 here in front of my keyboard., and I'm looking. S/F!!! Ken

Memory loss

I found the name, Dan. It was the SAN CARLOS. I had to go to book two, but I made it, now I can relax again. Reading has always been my greatest addiction. Now, with my memory problems, I've started rereading, and re buying, books that I've had for years. Some of them are falling apart, because I've read them so many times, they just fall apart. I've replaced quite a few, by many authors. We need a thread here, for book discussions. Why don't you get one started? I'll be right there, if it happens. All the best, to you, and yours. S/F!!! Ken

Thread Information