Boot camp location choice
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Boot camp location choice

Im going to talk to the local Marine recruiter tomorrow. Before I go im trying to find out if I have a choice of which boot camp I can goto. I live in Arkansas which means Im going to SD but all my family live on the east coast. Are they just going to have to make the 2500 miles trip to SD

Usually no. The only way I've heard of people choosing to go to the boot camp opposite the one they'd normally go to was when they had a parent or other close relative attend the other one.

Of course, that doesn't mean that there's no way, but that's something you'll have to ask a recruiter. All I can say for sure is to not get your hopes up.

Credits
    Savings
    Yea im not getting my hopes up. I was just wondering since my whole family live within 3 hours of parris island.

Arkansas does border the Mississippi, so you might be able to choose.

Credits
    Savings
    Yea 100 miles determines a 2500 miles journey or a 250 miles journey haha.

If your state boarders the Mississippi river then you get to choose, at least that's the way it used to be.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It could boil down to your recruiter saying "Hey I've got 3 infantry seats and 3 engineer seats in San Diego and one seat for base maintenance in PI go ahead and choose".

Mommy and Daddy don't need to attend your graduation. It would be cool if they did but it won't be the end of the world if they can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooger View Post
    If your state boarders the Mississippi river then you get to choose, at least that's the way it used to be.
    I lived ON the Mississippi and I didn't get to choose.

I think it depends on where the MEPS that the recruits ship from is located, not where their city or state is.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    It could boil down to your recruiter saying "Hey I've got 3 infantry seats and 3 engineer seats in San Diego and one seat for base maintenance in PI go ahead and choose".

Mommy and Daddy don't need to attend your graduation. It would be cool if they did but it won't be the end of the world if they can't.
    Yea It would be cool if my parents would be able to come. But im mostly talking about my grandfather. He is a Marine. With him being 80 years old a 2500 mile trip is a little to much.

BR34 If I goto MEPS in Memphis would that allow me to goto PI?

Wait a second, where did your grandfather go to boot camp? If he went to PI then I'm sure you could swing it then. I went to San Diego only because I had two uncles who are former Marines and I'm from Indiana (obviously east of the Mississippi).

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by indygti View Post
    Wait a second, where did your grandfather go to boot camp? If he went to PI then I'm sure you could swing it then. I went to San Diego only because I had two uncles who are former Marines and I'm from Indiana (obviously east of the Mississippi).

He went to SD, so that doesnt really help.

Quote Originally Posted by kobrien View Post
    Yea It would be cool if my parents would be able to come. But im mostly talking about my grandfather. He is a Marine. With him being 80 years old a 2500 mile trip is a little to much.

BR34 If I goto MEPS in Memphis would that allow me to goto PI?
    That's MY understanding. But of course I'm no recruiter so I could be wrong. The quickest and easiest way for you to get an answer to that question is to talk to a recruiter.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    That's MY understanding. But of course I'm no recruiter so I could be wrong. The quickest and easiest way for you to get an answer to that question is to talk to a recruiter.
    Yea I went to talk to his this morning, He said that he is busy today and I have an appointment with him at 1030 tomorrow.

As Bulkyker said, it depends also on MOS spots available in each region. What your recruiter might be able to do, if he knows other recruiters in Eastern regions, is let you be recruited by one of them. You might have to change your MOS, though. That almost happened with me. I originally wanted Intel, but there were no spots available at the time in my region, and my recruiter was going to allow me to be contracted by one of his buddies in Cali (there ended up not being Intel spots available in that region either). If that had worked out, I would have gone to Boot Camp in San Diego instead of at Parris Island.

Parris Island is the ONLY way.

Thread Information