Questions Regarding Reserves and GI Bill
Create Post

Questions Regarding Reserves and GI Bill

Hello,
    I was talking to a friend who is currently in a reserve unit and he told me that you can start using your GI bill right after you complete MOS school.

I was just wondering if anyone else could shed any light on this for me, I spoke to a recruiter but the GI Bill wasnt really on my mind at the time but thats definitely something I would be interested in knowing about and figured someone here would know. So if anyone knows anything about this and you could let me know it would definitely help with some decisions before I go back to my recruiter and decide whether or not im going into the reserves or active duty.

Thanks for your time Marines.

Fairly certain it's a no. I believe for reservists, once they perform one deployment they're entitled to 50% of the GI Bill benefits. For active duty, you rate full benefits either after 3 years or after a (good) discharge, I don't remember which. If you want the Marine Corps to pay for your college then you'll want to go active, if you want the chance to go to college sooner and to finish sooner, go reserves.

Of course, your decision shouldn't be solely based on this, but it should be a factor.

Someone please correct me quickly if I'm wrong.

Its really not to pay for college, if I wanted college money id join the airforce haha

I want to be a Marine and I will be a Marine but if I can earn the title and go to school, as well as getting GI bill benefits id definitely consider being in the reserves as opposed going active then finishing school.

He has already been deployed to iraq though so he most likely didnt realize thats what allows him to get the benifits.

This might help.
    https://www.gibill2.va.gov/cgi-bin/v...i=&p_topview=1

If you're active duty (dunno about reserves) you can apply for tuition assistance, which is separate from the GI bill. You'll get up to ~$800 per course paid for.

I browsed that site for a little, in some areas they point out it excludes time spent in training and others it doesn't like in that chart.

Ill most likely just speak to my recruiter next time I see him and get a definitive answer. Its one of the lowest priorities on my path the becoming a Marine totem poll.

I ended up finding the stuff I was looking for, ill post it here if future people search something along these lines.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_inf...serve_Menu.htm

Yes, you can use your GI Bill while AD.

If your credit hours cost more then TA will cover, you can supplement it with GI bill cash. You can use it whenever you want if for some ungodly reason you are to good for ta or to lazy to get a piece of paper signed by your SNCOIC.

Yes, you can use Montgomery GI Bill as soon as you check into your reserve unit (assuming you are eligible).

After you have one deployment, you will be eligible for the Post 911-GI Bill. At that time, you'll need to assess the differences and determine which is best for your situation.

Yes you can

Find your school's VA rep and have them start the process cuz it takes a few weeks. Last time I checked, a Reservist out of MOS school and no deployment would get around $330/mo assuming a full-time student

Thread Information