Question about "Alpha"
Create Post

Question about "Alpha"

Hello,
    I am currently in the process of Marine enlistment. I have an 0321 MOS (Recon). I have been pursueing a medical waiver and found out today that MEP/S has approved me, however it must be reviewed by the bureau of medicine as well. I took the asvab about 2 months ago and scored a 49. My recruiter informed me that if I were to take the test again and score above a 50, I could be admited into what he called "Alpha" Company. He tried to explain what the difference was but I didn't quite understand. I took the test 2010512 and scored a 70. So I was wondering if someone could explain to me what is different about Alpha recruits then others. Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have no one else to ask. Thanks for your time!

I may be waaay off but from what I gathered, 'Alpha recruits' were the recruits with really good asvab and IST scores that could qualify for specific MOS field contracts... as opposed to an open contract

Again, I could be wrong but I specifically remember my Recruiter talking about Alpha recruits like that

You went from a score of 49 to a score of 70?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gwamo1 View Post
    You went from a score of 49 to a score of 70?

Some kids blow off the ASVAB when they take it in high school not understanding how important the score is for enlistment purposes. Some are just nervous the first time, but settle down for a retest as they know what it involves.

My #2 daughter can't go in the military for medical reasons, but she took the ASVAB just for the hell of it and scored a 93.

Yes, I took the test 3 months ago and scored a 49. However, the day before it I took the ACT. I had been Studying for the math section of it and was completly mentaly wore out after studying 7 days a week. I was really stressed out and took it without even knowing what was on it. My recruiter wanted me to take it again because he said my score should be better since my ACT score was pretty good (26). So I decided to take it again to improve my score. I looked over a practice ASVAB test the night before. Next day scored a 70. I was thinking about studying for it and taking it for a third time, but my recruiter told me anything over 50 is just bragging rights.

I believe all he means by the "Alpha" thing actually has nothing to do with Boot Camp. All it is is that if you score a 50 or above it basically qualifies you for any MOS in the Marine Corps, based on your AFQT score only. The actual important scores on the ASVAB are your line scores (GT, MM, EL, CL). Most MOSs have line score requirements, and some have basic AFQT requirements. If you scored a 50 you have a better shot of getting certain MOS contracts (I couldn't tell you which) rather than if you scored a 49. But again, the more important scores are your line scores.

Unless there is something drastically different now than two years ago, "Alpha" has nothing to do with Boot Camp, it is only what you are qualified for. I suppose I would have been in the "Alpha" category, since I scored a 95 AFQT on my ASVAB. But it didn't change Boot Camp for me in the least. No one knows how well you did on it unless you tell them.

Not true, Lcpl

In Boot Camp, the nickname given to me by my DIs was "99 asvab Infantry retard" or "147 GT Infantry retard"

I certainly didnt tell them and, frankly, didnt comprehend their signifigance until after I signed my enlistment contract

Well obviously they can look it up if they really want to. My DIs either didn't give a d*mn what people's ASVAB scores were or just pretended like they didn't know. My SDI asked me once and was surprised when I told him.

Alpha company was the place to be in boot camp. As far as an Alpha recruit, it has been said before, these are the ones in the upper percentiles as far as ASVAB scores go. I had a 93, this puts me in that Alpha, 1st tier point. Regardless, it means absolutely nothing. In my 2 days in the Marine Corps ( ) it has only come into play as far as line scores go and trying to get into Weapons here at ITB. PFT, size and GT score were all on my side and I am now 2 weeks from graduating as a 31. Oorah.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwoods2010 View Post
    Hello,
    I am currently in the process of Marine enlistment. I have an 0321 MOS (Recon). I have been pursueing a medical waiver and found out today that MEP/S has approved me, however it must be reviewed by the bureau of medicine as well. I took the asvab about 2 months ago and scored a 49. My recruiter informed me that if I were to take the test again and score above a 50, I could be admited into what he called "Alpha" Company. He tried to explain what the difference was but I didn't quite understand. I took the test 2010512 and scored a 70. So I was wondering if someone could explain to me what is different about Alpha recruits then others. Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have no one else to ask. Thanks for your time!

Didn't know you could have a Recon MOS before getting to the fleet?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartanMullet View Post
    Didn't know you could have a Recon MOS before getting to the fleet?
    You don't. It's just a guaranteed tryout.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    You don't. It's just a guaranteed tryout.

I see. That's still pretty cool though. Hope you are a good swimmer!!

All it means is you get priority. My recruiter tried explaining this when I was home on leave . Alpha poolies are ones that show dedication to joining, are well qualified and aren't going to flake on the recruiter

Thanks for the help Marines!

Thread Information