What is my best option?
Create Post

What is my best option?

Hello everyone,
    I am 19 years old and will be 20 in September, i do not have a high school diploma. When i was a senior in high school i got kicked out 1 week before 4th term started, i was going to graduate and was doing good. I have 19 credits and 21 were required to graduate, i was going to obtain the last 2 in my last qtr.

Unfortunately that didnt happen, i didnt get to graduate with my class... And the situation i was put in didn't allow me to get a high school diploma...

I want to become a Marine, i want to know if it matters that i had only 2 credits left, or will i just be labeled another high school dropout? Is getting my GED my best option?

I haven't talked to nobody about joining the Marines so i appreciate all the help i can get...

Okay, first and foremost the Marine Corps won't consider you until you get your GED, or 15 college credits. Right now they won't touch you, with your current education status. Thats about all I can tell you, if I where you I would look into adult alternative education to get those last couple of credits so you can get your GED. When you complete that step, and if there is nothing else that would hinder you enlistment process go ahead and see a recruiter. Right now its a waste of the recruiters time for him to even talk to you. Don't take this as I'm sounding like a dick, I'm just giving you the straight scoop. Semper

I'm curious what did you get kicked out of school for?

thank you for your fast reply,

i was in a very awkward situation with my high school, during my junior year of high school i moved out of the district, i told my counsler and DEAN that i had moved... my dean told me this my junior year, i quote " hey eduardo,i know you moved out of the district but your a nice kid, im going to let you graduate with ur friends."

and just 1 week before 4th term began i had a meeting with the vice principal, he said that if i didnt leave the school i would have to pay 1 year student petition, $13,000.
    he told me that the district had found out i was living out of the area...
    they said that i had to deal with my situation by myself...

unfortunately the school i belonged to had a completely different class schedule, so that made it impossible for me to recieve a high school diploma... what my old school did in 1 term, they did in 1 semester...

i was fooled by my DEAN out of all people to feel safe and secure,

but i WILL get over this obstacle and become a Marine...

thanks for any other information!

they basically told me that if i didnt go out quietly i would HAVE to pay the tuition fee, 13K per year...

my family couldnt fight that... and they guaranteed that i would lose the case...

Well sorry to hear that, well like I said looking into some adult alternative education, and get your credits and enlist. I'm sure you have heard already with the wars, and manpower at a max its hard to get in the Corps. However don't let that deter you stay positive, and motivated. Best of luck, Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by echo3oscar1833 View Post
    Well sorry to hear that, well like I said looking into some adult alternative education, and get your credits and enlist. I'm sure you have heard already with the wars, and manpower at a max its hard to get in the Corps. However don't let that deter you stay positive, and motivated. Best of luck, Semper Fi
    yeah i was thinking maybe the Marines had programs for people in similar situations as me, i was literally 1 class away from graduating,

i had even purchased my graduation gown... thinking of the unfairness of the situation motivates me!

how i would have loved to get my HS diploma, i know that becoming a Marine would be alot less complicated,

and ive heard that only a small group of GED's make it

Nope the Marine Corps dosn't have any programs, it all falls onto you to get your education before you enlist. Its called initiative, its something the Corps looks for in every Marine. If I might make a suggestion you seem a little fixated on the facts of your situation. Let it go its done and over with, move on get you credits, and become a Marine.

thank you once again for your help,
    i will do everything necessary to become a Marine,

nothing will hold me back,

God Bless

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I don't get it??

hey Bulkyker,

ive never spoken to a recruit so i just wanted to know if i should just get my GED before i even contact one... i will do research and see if there is any programs that might allow me to get a HS diploma, i doubt it but its worth a try, i will most likely have to get my GED it looks like...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    According to your profile you are 19. You can repeat your senior year and graduate with a full blown high school diploma. Go take gym and freshman english and go half days. Whatever it takes. You can do it. Just don't go in there dressed like a gangster and acting like a salty dog. They'll let you repeat 12 grade.

The stuff about having a financial penalty and purchasing a cap and gown is complete bull****e. You know it and I know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    According to your profile you are 19. You can repeat your senior year and graduate with a full blown high school diploma. Go take gym and freshman english and go half days. Whatever it takes. You can do it. Just don't go in there dressed like a gangster and acting like a salty dog. They'll let you repeat 12 grade.

The stuff about having a financial penalty and purchasing a cap and gown is complete bull****e. You know it and I know it.
    You got a point Bulk I didn't even think of that, isn't the age limit like 20 or something in most states. I think after you turn 20 is when they give you the boot out the door.

yes i am 19 and will be 20 in september,
    ive been out of school for a whole year, i dont know if its 2 late.

becoming a Marine is what motivates me now...

It's worth a try. What do you have to lose? Absolutely nothing. Go in and talk to your local school district. Explain (without anger) the situation and let them know exactly why you want your high school diploma. Ask them to please help you. (You get a lot more help from people with humility and when you give the other person a chance to help). Hell, maybe you can still get into summer classes since you only need that one class.

You really want to avoid the GED route since 1) those classes cost money and 2) you will need an additional 15 college credits. And it makes it a little tougher to enlist.

So if I were you, I'd march my ass down there today.

Thread Information