Football and the Marines
Create Post

Football and the Marines

Recently, I've had terrible shin splints which have forced me to stop football for about two weeks and focus on stretching techniques and rehabilitation. In order for me to stay on the team, I'm going to have to go through the trainers(who don't help at all)and go to practice daily.

What's bring me to ask this question is not necessarily the shin splints, but playing football in general. When I heal up my legs and go back to playing, there's such a high risk involved in the sport, and me playing middle linebacker, I have to disregard my safety and those around me to strictly focus on the game and the complete destruction of the ball carrier. My future hangs in the balance, and if I quit football I have more time to fix my legs and put more time into Marine PT. I'm swearing in June 2nd, and have already completed MEPS.

Should I quit football and completely dedicate myself to healing and getting ready for the Marines, eliminating my senior year of football glory(I'm a junior in high school)? Or should I keep playing, having that little voice in the back of my head telling me to always be careful, don't get injured, etc.? Any advice would be much appreciated.

They are shin splints!!! Play your senior year, you have more than enough time to be ready for Recruit Training next summer. Just keep your nose clean and don't do anything stupid.

Be carefull, but have fun in school.

Alright thanks Marines. I need to enjoy my senior year, not dwell on my fears. I just want that Eagle, Globe and Anchor so bad. I stay up all night watching old Marine commercials and think about earning the title all day.

Most definately stay and play your senior year -- you will only have one but you will have time to accomplish your goal of becoming a Marine. Stop focusing on the "what ifs" and your fears. The more you focus on the negative and bad stuff, the more the negative and the bad stuff seems to happen. Focus only on the good and enjoy yourself.

You may not think the trainers help, but stick with it.

Thread Information