Usmcr Gear
Create Post

Thread: Usmcr Gear

Usmcr Gear

i ship out to bootcamp in 11 days and I am very excited. Just about all my questions from swim quals to feet care have been answered from this site and Leatherneck.com has put my mind at ease many times. I have one question that I have been looking around for. I was wondering what gear ill bring home as a Reservist. When I say home I mean after all of my training (BC&MCT) and schooling (0621) is finished.
    By the way...these 11 days cant move any slower...

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by devantelj View Post
    i ship out to bootcamp in 11 days and I am very excited. Just about all my questions from swim quals to feet care have been answered from this site and Leatherneck.com has put my mind at ease many times. I have one question that I have been looking around for. I was wondering what gear ill bring home as a Reservist. When I say home I mean after all of my training (BC&MCT) and schooling (0621) is finished.
    You'll bring home your gun.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by devantelj View Post

You will bring home your seabag of uniforms. 782 gear and other equipment is issued by your unit.

Well, from bootcamp, youll bring 3 sets of Desert Cammies, 2 sets of woodland cammies, 3 service charlie shirts, 2 service bravo shirts, 2 pair service trousers, 1 service alpha blouse, 1 dress blue trouser, and 1 dress blue coat, the Running suit, all weather coat, green woolie poolie Your 2 pairs of boots, 1 pair dress shoes, and all ur PT gear and skivies, and boot socks. Thats pretty much it. Just your uniforms. I think once you hit fleet is when you get your camelback drinking pack. I havnt gone to MCT yet so not sure about that.

My nephew is a Marine reservist, and when he checked in with his unit for his first drill in March, he got issued all of his 782 gear to bring home.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The post by enrique really got me to thinking. The issue has definitely changed over the years. I swear we were issued two alpha blouses... 1 summer and 1 winter with 2 sets of trousers for each. 3 long and 3 short on khaki shirts. Etc etc.

On to your question.... It does not matter if you are active or reservist. You'll leave boot camp with the same stuff as everyone else. Pretty much your uniform items. All the duece gear is loaned to you by your unit and you have to give it back at the end of your tour. I'm wondering if you are running scenarios through your head where you get to take an M-16 and an M-9 home with you? If that is the case then forget it.

Radio Operator... good luck with that giant target on your back!

From Boot, you'll get everything Enrique mentioned... onceyou check into your unit, you'll get the 782 gear that the Gentleman mentioned above which is;

main pack, assault pack, kevlar (helmet), kevlar cover, flak (vest), SAPIs, magazine and grenade pouches, cotton gloves, leather gloves, beanie, gaiter, fleece top and bottom, long underwear top and bottom x2, canteens, canteen pouches, safety glasses w clear and tinted lenses, goggles, black and green sleeping bags, poncho, poncho liner, tarp, bivi sack, iso mat, and, YES, a camelback (I somehow managed to get 3).

Yes, you will haul all that crap home and play with it for a few weeks so just get it out of your system. You'll get tired eventually and take advantage of the locker your unit provides.

Quote Originally Posted by il duce View Post
    Radio Operator... good luck with that giant target on your back!

From Boot, you'll get everything Enrique mentioned... onceyou check into your unit, you'll get the 782 gear that the Gentleman mentioned above which is;

main pack, assault pack, kevlar (helmet), kevlar cover, flak (vest), SAPIs, magazine and grenade pouches, cotton gloves, leather gloves, beanie, gaiter, fleece top and bottom, long underwear top and bottom x2, canteens, canteen pouches, safety glasses w clear and tinted lenses, goggles, black and green sleeping bags, poncho, poncho liner, tarp, bivi sack, iso mat, and, YES, a camelback (I somehow managed to get 3).

Yes, you will haul all that crap home and play with it for a few weeks so just get it out of your system. You'll get tired eventually and take advantage of the locker your unit provides.

That depends on the unit, i've been with my unit for the last six months and i still don't have half that equipment. Some of my missing equipment i've purchased myself just to have. My platoon is pretty close so most guys share stuff with those who don't have it.

While it may be nice to have a locker to store my gear, my unit doesn't provide one and i wouldn't use it anyway since we share a building with the National Guard.

I got everything il duce mentioned except for SAPIs and eye pro.

And I got a terribly abused IFAK.

Yeah, mine looked like it had been dragged through the mud a few times

This past weekend we were issued Gortex "windbreakers' (for lack of a better term) - they are in desert marpat with stretchy coyote brown strips down the sides and armpits... we also got personal mosquito net/cover things that you sleep inside and add even more unneeded weight to our main packs

Well, i guess i'm lucky on that account. While i don't have all the gear, the gear i do have is in really good shape.

I'm not too worried about having all the gear, when we deploy i'm sure we'll get all we need, and alot of crap that we don't.

Well, I'm not sure why you're concerned with this...because it doesn't matter. You'll get everything you need issued. From boot you'll get a TON of stuff, I advise throwing most of it away that you don't actually need. I thought it would be fun to take everything home, well...it wasn't. I had two full seabags, a body bag, and I think one more bag.

Your unit will issue you what you need, and that varies. I've heard some units make the Marines keep everything at the drill center in lockers, others (like mine) allow and expect the Marines to take everything home.

I have 782 gear, flak, kev, IFAK, gloves, sleeping bag, e-tool, ILBE pack, day pack, and everything else you would ever need. Only thing I have not received yet are rifle mags (haven't re-qual'ed with my unit yet), and SAPI plates (we don't use SAPI's until deployed). Oh, and basically all my gear was brand new, or hardly used. Guess I got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    The post by enrique really got me to thinking. The issue has definitely changed over the years. I swear we were issued two alpha blouses... 1 summer and 1 winter with 2 sets of trousers for each. 3 long and 3 short on khaki shirts. Etc etc.

On to your question.... It does not matter if you are active or reservist. You'll leave boot camp with the same stuff as everyone else. Pretty much your uniform items. All the duece gear is loaned to you by your unit and you have to give it back at the end of your tour. I'm wondering if you are running scenarios through your head where you get to take an M-16 and an M-9 home with you? If that is the case then forget it.
    You are correct, sir! You were, in fact, issued a 'winter' and a 'summer' blouse, and trousers.

I am not sure how often reserve units do hikes with full gear, flak and Kevlar. I know as a radio operator your going to much prefer carrying an prc 117F in your pack rather than the prc 119. As for the antenna thing, you don't have to wear the 10 ft whip, and usually when you did you would either bend it so it was shorter, or you would use the smaller antenna. Eitherway being a radio operator isn't as bad as carrying a 50 cal piece around..that really sucks.

What I told you is what the infantry RO's do..which is what I did.

Other radio operator's sit in a nice COC doing 12 hour posts (longer in the infantry).

Enjoy 29 palms

Thread Information