A Note On Maximizing Crunches - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulls View Post
    that's impossible. you're simply not rounding your back enough - you're trying to raise yourself up with a straight back...that's why you're doing a sit-up - this also works the abs more. i'm telling you right now, you're implying that you are physically unable to do a crunch due to your anatomy, and that can't be true. if your crunches are varying by a +/- 30 or more, you're simply not doing the crunches with proper form - little adjustments like glute placement shouldn't affect it that much. no matter how i set up, i always get over 100 crunches - that's how it should be.
    I'm gonna have to back alphasquirrel up on this one. I have short arms, so I end up doing something right between a crunch and a sit up. But, yes, rounding the back does help a lot. I used to do straight sit-ups and was suck at 75, but once I got the hang of rounding my shoulders forward, I didn't have a problem increasing. These are the 3 tricks I used to increase: feet next to butt, round shoulders forward, and let myself drop on the way down. I also do decline sit ups at the gym, which make doing flat crunches seem 100 times easier! People can tell you all the advice in the world, but you just need to figure out what works best for you, especially as a female. I've found that what works for the guys doesn't always work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by alphasquirrel View Post
    Here is what I have discovered.

The closer you scoot the butt to the ankles the less your thigh muscles will be able to assist in the crunch and you are limiting all of your efforts to your abdomen alone and your number of crunches will drop.
    I guess it all depends on the person, with me...I'm more comfortable having my butt pretty much touching my ankles since when we do it with a partner at PT we have to sit on their feet with their arms interlooped between our legs then we have to scootch forward as far as we can. But I'll try spacing myself further apart tomorrow and see my results, I'm rather curious now haha good post!

this is interesting because I do my crunches with my butt as close to my heels as possible and I always find that the top of my quads cramp up quickkkkk.

almost to the point where i can't stand normally after hitting 100. my abs don't feel as bad at all.

Thread Information