Woman Mechanic
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman Mechanic

Woman Mechanic

I'm about an inch away from signing papers. I'm a woman, and I was just curious about the Motor T- occupations and the level of difficulty. I grew up with mechanics, but being the girl I was never taught anything. I know basics but thats about it. I'm curious if woman are excepted well in the field (not that I care that much, I have no problem proving myself). I guess I just want to if its a good field to go into. My goal in life is to rebuild an old muscle car, so I figure this would help teach me.. But is it looked down upon being so green in the field? Is it hard to learn from almost nothing? I learn fast too by the way.

Fill out your profile, please.

If you know the difference between a Phillips Screwdriver and a Regular Screwdriver you should be good to go.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    If you know the difference between a Phillips Screwdriver and a Regular Screwdriver you should be good to go.
    Well, I'm screwed!!

Then I should be just fine, I know basic tools and functions. Just never actually worked on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jes88
    I'm curious if woman are excepted well in the field (not that I care that much, I have no problem proving myself).
    How well you are excepted in the field all depends on YOU.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    How well you are excepted in the field all depends on YOU.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    If you can't fix it with a hammer on them old deuce1/2's.....then it's electrical.

Duct tape fixes everything!

Everyone knows women can't fix anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    Everyone knows women can't fix anything.

Oh is that right? -- bet I can fix you real good

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by tdrt View Post
    Oh is that right? -- bet I can fix you real good
    Ooooh, do me, do me!!

... and bring some of those research chemicals along to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlHolmes165 View Post
    Ooooh, do me, do me!!

... and bring some of those research chemicals along to play with.

What do you want me to bring? I got some sh!t that will melt your face off. Or I do have some chicken or beef reaction flavors.....edible....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    As long as you can remember lefty, loosey - righty, tighty

Quote Originally Posted by Jes88 View Post
    But is it looked down upon being so green in the field? Is it hard to learn from almost nothing? I learn fast too by the way.
    This is all info from a former HE mech so you can take it as you want.

First, as long as you can do your job then it won't matter if you're male or female.

Second, MOS school will get you prepared for your unit, don't worry about having prior knowledge. The MOS school is to get you to a point where you don't hurt yourself, or someone else, and understand the basic concepts. It is your unit's responsibility to train you to where you need to be. This applies to everybody and almost everybody goes through this. PFSs aren't expected to know **** so that is why there are Corporals and Sergeants, to train and mentor you in how to do your job and be a Marine.

Third, you'll be the FNG when you get to your unit but as long as you work hard and show some initiative then you'll do fine. Every unit is different and every time you transfer to a new unit you'll be the FNG, even if you're an officer or SNCO. Don't worry about it, you'll get up to speed on what is required of you.

Thread Information