Weight Loss
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss

Weight Loss

Hello Marines,
    I am currently 5'8" and weigh 178 lbs. As I understand it I have to be under 164 to enlist. However, I am having a lot of problems loosing this weight, I am 1 month from enlisting and do not want to delay my enlistment.
    I am currently eating no carbs, fried foods, cafeine, candy, or chips. Drinking only water and protein shakes in the morning. I am running 3 miles a day, 200 situps, pushups, and flexed arm hang. I have a lot of muschle mass and I do not know how to loose this weight.

I understand my weight is my issue, however I have been trying for a while now and haven't had much success!!!

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated Marines.

1.5 mile run- 13 mins

Once again Thanks Marines

Do a search on the site as this topic has been covered before, and if the search bar doesn't work for you, contact thedrifter and let her be aware of it.
    Also, so a search on the internet...plenty of good ideas out there on how to lose weight.

Totally eliminating all carbs is not a good idea. You do need to have some, but it's the right kind. The main ones to get rid of are the whites: flour, rice and sugar. Try to keep caloric intake to around 1200 per day -- eating too little puts you into "starvation" mode and you'll never lose the weight.

So is all you eating just the protein shakes in the morning? Add some fiber to that. What else during the day? Also make sure to vary your workout routine. Your body will become accustomed to doing the same activities every day so shake things up a bit.

If most of that weight is muscle, then you may be able to "tape". Basically a measurement of your BMI or something. I dunno exactly. Someone else have any more insight on the taping thing and whether it even applies in this situation?

I was thinking about that too. BMI will just calculate the height/weight and doesn't take mass into account.

They'll have to measure body fat with calipers.

Your are within standards being 5'8'' and weigh 178. It might have changed. For a male recruit, you have to be below 203 to ship and your max weight while in is 181.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash2053 View Post
    Your are within standards being 5'8'' and weigh 178. It might have changed. For a male recruit, you have to be below 203 to ship and your max weight while in is 181.
    Women have different standards. Believe me, we wish it were higher!

Quote Originally Posted by Cash2053 View Post
    This is a female wanting to enlist, not a male.

Unless these standards have changed........for 5'8" - 68 inches.....
    minimum weight is 112lbs.
    age 16-20 - 156lbs.
    age 21-24 - 159lbs.
    age 25-30 - 163lbs.
    age 31-35 - 169lbs.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marin...cweightfem.htm

And being that you're only 16, according to your profile, you have plenty of time to drop the necessary weight before you enlist.

I guess I should have checked your profile and noticed the flexed arm hang. I apologize

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm searching my brain housing group .... that one last functional brain cell. I think the max weight for a a 68" male is 168 lbs or a max body fat percentage of 18%. Males have a very rudimentary BMI calculated by measuring their waist and neck. I can't remember the female calculation so I'm taking a WAG... female BMI is calculated by neck, waist, hips, forearms, triceps, bust and something else. Female max body fat is I want to say 26%.

If you are right there teetering on the edge then plan on a bit of extra attention and a whole lot of rabbit food.

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    This is a female wanting to enlist, not a male.

Unless these standards have changed........for 5'8" - 68 inches.....
    minimum weight is 112lbs.
    age 16-20 - 156lbs.
    age 21-24 - 159lbs.
    age 25-30 - 163lbs.
    age 31-35 - 169lbs.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marin...cweightfem.htm

And being that you're only 16, according to your profile, you have plenty of time to drop the necessary weight before you enlist.
    Hell, I didn't even notice she was 16 -- ya, she's got plenty of time!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    I'm searching my brain housing group .... that one last functional brain cell. I think the max weight for a a 68" male is 168 lbs or a max body fat percentage of 18%. Males have a very rudimentary BMI calculated by measuring their waist and neck. I can't remember the female calculation so I'm taking a WAG... female BMI is calculated by neck, waist, hips, forearms, triceps, bust and something else. Female max body fat is I want to say 26%.

If you are right there teetering on the edge then plan on a bit of extra attention and a whole lot of rabbit food.
    Bulk, the original poster asking the question is a female, not a male.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    Bulk, the original poster asking the question is a female, not a male.

I took my best guess at the female standards. I seriously can't remember but I know it was a little more for BMI and weight for females. I have no idea what shipping weights are. I guess it is assumed you will lose a few pounds in boot camp so you can ship on the thick side.

Check this site out.....

http://www.*************/fitness-cen...rkouts/archive

www.militarydot(.)com/fitness-center/military-fitness/workouts/archive

I had to put it this way because this site is blocked here on Leatherneck.

I understand you want to enlist as soon as possible, but you need to get on a "proper diet" so you can lose the weight the right way, and you need to change up that excersie routine that you have. You still have about 22lbs to lose yet to get down to 156lbs, but being that that you're only 16, according to your profile, you have plenty of time.
    Young lady, take your time in losing the 22lbs, and do it the right way, no crash diets. Try talking with a nutritionist also. Also...watch what protien shakes you are having. Some of those can be loaded with calories and fat. And like tdrt said, get some fiber in that diet too. Oatmeal is a great source of fiber, and it's also healthy for you too.

Thread Information