Disqualified For My Tattoo
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Disqualified For My Tattoo

The new policy doesn't allow any tattoo to be on the collar bone due to the v-neck uniform Marines wear.

I was suppose to going up to MEPS yesterday but we stopped at my recruiter's boss's office in Lexington and he took a look at my tattoo and immediately disqualified me.

However my question is whether not this tattoo could be waivered in the future so I may once get to enlist in the USMC

ssgt Morgan's boss tried directing me over to Army and the other branches but I'd much rather wait til the new policy lightens up (if that's actually possible.)

What v-neck uniform? We don't wear any uniform where your collar bone is showing, unless you go t-shirt less in Charlies, which is something that is only done by weird ass 50 yr old Colonels.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    What v-neck uniform? We don't wear any uniform where your collar bone is showing, unless you go t-shirt less in Charlies, which is something that is only done by weird ass 50 yr old Colonels.
    My recruiter had me try on a v-neck button up in which the top of my eagle's head and the words above it were poking out.

He told me he didn't get the policy because you do indeed wear an undershirt.

Of all the things I'd get disqualified for I thought this would be the unlikeliest.

That makes absolutely no sense at all. The t-shirt would cover it up (I'm assuming), and its a part of the uniform just like shoe strings on coraframs or shirt-stays on shirts.

Does the tattoo show in pt gear?

Oh nevermind, I see your profile. You sure you weren't DQ'd because of the SIZE of the tattoo?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    Oh nevermind, I see your profile. You sure you weren't DQ'd because of the SIZE of the tattoo?
    That may be a possibility but they were talking about how it was on the collar bone and how my recruiter's boss had someone come in earlier with the same problem except his was much smaller.

So I guess a mix between the two.

Would this be waiverable in the future?

I don't want to settle for any other branch.

Quote Originally Posted by LOLORSKATES View Post
    That may be a possibility but they were talking about how it was on the collar bone and how my recruiter's boss had someone come in earlier with the same problem except his was much smaller.

So I guess a mix between the two.

Would this be waiverable in the future?

I don't want to settle for any other branch.
    It's always possible, but I wouldn't bet on it. Chances are likely that it'll change eventually, but changing in the next 5 years? Not very likely.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    It's always possible, but I wouldn't bet on it. Chances are likely that it'll change eventually, but changing in the next 5 years? Not very likely.
    Sounds like I need to keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you all for the time out of your day to discuss my current dilemma.

Have a nice day

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Holy cow! That is a serious tatoo.

I'm also failing to see how that tattoo would cause an issue. From what I can tell, it wouldn't show in PT gear OR chucks.

Credits
    Savings
    I'd be inclined to do something such as a tattoo removal but I don't know if the Corps would want someone with a huge scar from collar bone to collar bone.

I would try a different recruiter, unless MEPS disqualified you. It seems to me that the recruiter said "no" without any official MEPS documentation, no? Especially because he told you to put on a V-neck t-shirt...we don't have V-neck uniforms besides Chucks, and you wear a white t-shirt under that....so, I'm failing to see why your recruiter would do that.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by polizei View Post
    I would try a different recruiter, unless MEPS disqualified you. It seems to me that the recruiter said "no" without any official MEPS documentation, no?
    He called up there and said no.
    I wish MEPS would actually look at me. Hell, I'd drive up there on my own just for the doc-man to look at it.

Like I said, you can try another recruiter...but if MEPS said no then I'd say your chances are pretty slim. I would call and push for an appointment though so they can actually review it.

It's not MEPS job to disqualify him for a Marine Corps regulation. MEPS is there for all branches, so they don't focus on specific regs for each. The recruiters are the filter.

Thread Information