V.A. Medical Claim Question?
Create Post

Lightbulb V.A. Medical Claim Question?

I got out in June 2009, as we all are well aware, most of our bodies do take a toll after the years, and I ended up leaving with an ankle injury that lasted 9 months (BAS didnt want to do Lim Duty paperwork) and possibly depression, anger and serperation issues (waiting on a private Wizard for that one).

If I file a claim with the V.A. for any of the above mentioned things, can say a potential employer (NYPD, FDNY, EMS type) jobs be able to get their hands on them to say "Sorry, your a nut job"??

-Denny

Get to the V.A. and file a claim nobody can hold that against you. Besides you rate it and you should have done that as soon as you could after you got out.
    Ed.

Short answer...NO...your VA treatment records will remain private, unless you authorize their release to a specific individual or organization. GO FILE A CLAIM NOW!!!! As long as you get your claim filed within 12 months of the date of discharge, the effective date of your claim will be the day after discharge. Do not confuse medical treatment at the VA hospital with filing a claim. You can get treatment and not file a claim. To file a claim, you need to go to the VA regional office near you, or better yet, contact your STATE office of veteran's affairs for assistance by an accredited representative who will be on YOUR side, and will be able to help you navigate through the VS's complicated BS system.

File the claim, don't freakin be stupid and wait like I did. (Still waiting......). Under HIPAA rules, medical information is kept basically at a 'Top Secret' level of classification by Doctors, and it's a federal offense to release it without YOUR express permission.

Also, as a Disabled veteran, you'll rate a closer look in just about any hiring process, as long as you are otherwise qualified.

Thread Information