open contract
Create Post

Thread: open contract

open contract

Good evening Marines. I signed my open contract in February and ship out 20100811. I was just wondering if I should be worried about having an open contract as opposed to having a MOS.

I would try and secure a job and get it in writing. You will get put wherever they need you. In my company jobs for open contracts ranged from admin to crash fire and rescue, with everything in between.

You have no say.

Why would you ever go in with an open contract? They're going to stick you in a job that all the people smart enough to actually decide what they wanted to do for the next 4 years of their life heard of and were like "**** That".

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I respect the fact that you went open contract. It's like "Im gonna be a Marine",,,or "I'm gonna be a Marine under one condition",

I don't think less of those who sign for a chosen MOS, but that to me isn't what it's ALL ABOUT.

I'm an idealist, I guess.

Credits
    Savings
    I signed open contract and I had a good experience. I know others who we not as happy. I agree with Capital M's post however - you should try to firm up the MOS that you will spend at least 4 years doing. Having an MOS that you prefer may make the difference in doing something that you actually enjoy and something that you hate, and that might be the difference between making our Corps a career, or just a tour of duty.

The first 4 years are usually the worst / hardest no matter what your MOS is - after that you'll want to be doing something where you can feel successful or where you can see a future/career for yourself.

If you are totally undecided as I was, and just want to be a Marine first, then see what evolves, you may find out that open contract is a good option. Just accept what you choose and don't ***** about how you got screwed if you don't like it later. Every Marine has a great job!
    Good luck!
    C

I really wish I could of gotten a job, but all the jobs in my area are taken untill the new fiscal year, I just wanted to finally become a Poolee, Ive been going to our weekly PT sessions since September.

Since you have already signed on the dotted line this is a moot point is it not? Or does he have an option to resign before he ships?

For me despite my love for the Marine Corps it was all about the mos. In fact the first 3 things I was concerned about was mos....mos....mos.

I had two options at that time...open contract or a 4 year enlistment for the wing and a mos I could pick (this is nearly 50 year old memories so I think I am correct about that)

Nothing seemed right for me until I asked the recruiter about being maybe a Marine Medic. After he told me this was a no go but went on to talk at length about these crazy Navy guys I decided to pay a visit to the Navy recruiter.

Best decision I had made in my young life.

For me it was all about a job that was perfect for me. Four years is a long time to be doing something you do not like.

Good Luck

Thread Information